US KC-135 Down - Kyrgyzstan

Perhaps I am dating myself, but the -135 did not have recorders like civilian airliners when I was flying them. Did we equip them with FDR/CVR equipment over the last few years? After careful re-reading of the article, it sounds like its full of questionable assumptions and half truths.

Yes.

CVR/FDR were installed in many mil aircraft that didn't originally have them after the Dubrovnik 737 crash.

true. Many is the key word (we still don't have them).

link with video/pics: http://www.khq.com/s...ne-as-a-tribute

I'd like to buy these guys a few rounds. :beer:

Tyler's EAA Chapter flies missing man formation in remembrance of the crew of Shell 77.

http://www.krem.com/news/Felts-Field-memorial-honors-fallen-Fairchild-Captain--NOT-FOR-PUBLISH-206960091.html

I was there, it was an awesome tribute to the crew of Shell 77. The sight and sound of those old, but meticulously maintained warbirds, was really something else. The Stearman guys in the chapter are a great bunch of dudes.

:beer::beer::beer::beer:

By order of the 502 ABW/CC, the national flag of the Unites States shall be flown at half-staff on Thursday, May 16 at all Joint Base San Antonio locations in honor of Capt Mark Tyler Voss, United States Air Force, 93rd Air Refueling Squadron, Fairchild AFB WA, who was killed in Kyrgyzstan on May 3, 2013 in the crash of a KC-135 aircraft. The dignified transfer ceremony for Capt Voss takes place on Thursday at JBSA-Kelly Field followed by a funeral service on Friday in his hometown of Boerne TX.

529 Donation Info: (Note: this 529 has been approved/authorised by the surviving spouses).

In response to the tragic loss of the KC-135 warriors, the River Rats, in conjunction with the Air Warrior Courage Foundation (AWCF), have established college savings 529 plans to accept tax deductible contributions for Capt Victoria "Tori" Pinckney's daughter and TSgt Herman "Tre" Mackey III's daughter's college education. Anyone wishing to honor Tori and Tre, may contribute individual funds providing 529 College Savings plan for their children.

There are two ways to give and all donations are tax deductible.

NOTE: It is very important to follow the directions below concerning the "In Memory..." Verbiage)

1) Send a check to the AWCF, P.O. Box 877, Silver Springs MD. 20918. In a separate note or on the check, please write "In Memory of XXXXXXXXXX".

2) Donate Online: Go to AWCF Home page http:// www.airwarriorcourage.org . On the home page is a DONATE button. Click it and it will take you to a page with a GIVE DIRECT button. Click it and fill in the blanks. in the COMMENTS block, please write "In Memory of XXXXXXXXXX".

Please help spread the donation info to the max extent possible (squadron e-mail, social media, etc)....the more exposure we get, the more money we can raise for the children!

Cheers,

Cap-10

Edited by Cap-10
  • Upvote 1

529 Donation Info: (Note: this 529 has been approved/authorised by the surviving spouses).

In response to the tragic loss of the KC-135 warriors, the River Rats, in conjunction with the Air Warrior Courage Foundation (AWCF), have established college savings 529 plans to accept tax deductible contributions for Capt Victoria "Tori" Pinckney's daughter and TSgt Herman "Tre" Mackey III's daughter's college education. Anyone wishing to honor Tori and Tre, may contribute individual funds providing 529 College Savings plan for their children.

Thank you very much for the information. Another donation is on the way...

Wasn't there unfortunately, but the town of Boerne (pronounced: Burn-knee) had one hell of a turn out for Tyler for his funeral. The local media here in San Antonio did a very respectable job of covering the story. Can't find the video yet.

http://www.woai.com/...rDWpF6jSGw.cspx

When I was at Randolph I had a girlfriend in Boerne. It's a beautiful little german town in the hill country, just south of Fredericksburg. The people there are very warm and friendly, I kind of adopted it as a hometown away from home. Really sucks to see this happen to them. Him, him.

We go to Boerne regularly, it's a nice drive from NW SA. It is a great town and the kind of place that would rise up under such circumstances.

This is interesting. The Eurasianews network said that the Kygyz recovered the FDR and were considering sending it to Russia about 2 weeks ago. For what it's worth, they also regularly publish that we dump fuel into the farm land, which is not true; crews are required to fly all the way into Afghan airspace before we dump. But UPI (whoever that is) is saying that they just recovered the FDR/CVR and the US authorities have them.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2013/05/20/Flight-recorders-from-crashed-US-military-plane-found-in-Kyrgyzstan/UPI-67011369057587/

• 1 month later...

Not an easy video to watch.

Initially Air Force officials worried bad fuel may have caused the tanker crash, so all refueling flights out of Manas were suspended as part of a brief safety stand down. Now investigators reportedly know something else, possibly turbulence or an onboard explosion of some sort, tore the plane apart in midair.

Who the hell has been talking to the media up there at Fairchild?

Possible cell phone video of the plane coming down. RIP

http://www.kxly.com/...9b/-/index.html

I normally try and keep my mouth shut in these kinds of threads, but 1:35 made me curse out loud it pissed me off so much. It appears that those two bystanders were actually taking pictures of themselves standing on the horizontal stabilizer. Unless you are part of the investigating team, show some respect and stay the hell off of the wreckage.

I normally try and keep my mouth shut in these kinds of threads, but 1:35 made me curse out loud it pissed me off so much. It appears that those two bystanders were actually taking pictures of themselves standing on the horizontal stabilizer. Unless you are part of the investigating team, show some respect and stay the hell off of the wreckage.

They probably don't have running water - do you really think they have any concept of how an aircraft mishap investigation works?

• Upvote 5

They probably don't have running water - do you really think they have any concept of how an aircraft mishap investigation works?

Funny, they may not have running water but they're taking these pictures/videos with smartphones. I just wish they would show respect to the crew and not trample all over the crash site for the purpose of taking Facebook pictures.

Funny, they may not have running water but they're taking these pictures/videos with smartphones. I just wish they would show respect to the crew and not trample all over the crash site for the purpose of taking Facebook pictures.

You've apparently never been to Kyrgyzstan.

• Upvote 2