National Air Cargo 747 Crash at Bagram

TacAirCoug

I can't even imagine the thoughts of those poor guys trying to make that damn jet fly... :beer: :beer: :beer::jd:

I know what you mean. It kills me to watch that simulation. I can't imagine being there and seeing it like LL Windshear. Them Them.

• Upvote 1

Watching that video was tough. They showed the crash three times and slowed it down, giving you plenty of time to think about how much time they had to think about their fate.

Just a note, it's not as much a simulation as it is an animation of the flight path based on the video (using perspective techniques).

SAFO13005.pdf

Check the attached SAFO (Safety Alert for Operators) from the FAA. It states that "the FAA is concerned about the procedures for carrying and securing heavy vehicle special cargo loads." It even goes on to list some "best practices for heavy vehicle special cargo operations and restraint" which reads like loadmaster 101. Whatever the cause of this HORRIBLE accident, the feds seem to think something warrants getting some info out on this pretty quick.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. Apparently that's the ICAO rules - location of the incident has the lead for civilian mishaps. I sincerely hope the NTSB is very involved.

http://www.ntsb.gov/...013/130430.html

April 30

The National Transportation Safety Board will lead a team to assist the Afghanistan Ministry of Transportation and Commercial Aviation in the investigation of a cargo plane crash at Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan.

NTSB Senior Air Safety Investigator Tim LeBaron will be the U.S. accredited representative. He will lead a team of three additional investigators from the NTSB as well as representatives from the Federal Aviation Administration and The Boeing Company.

The private cargo plane, a Boeing 747-400 operated by National Air Cargo, crashed just after takeoff from the U.S.-operated air base at 11:20 a.m. local time Monday. All seven crewmembers onboard were killed and the airplane destroyed. The seven crew members were all American citizens. The accident site is within the perimeter of Bagram Air Base.

The international cargo flight was destined for Dubai World Central - Al Maktoum International Airport, Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

The Afghanistan Ministry of Transportation and Commercial Aviation is leading the investigation and will be the sole source of information regarding the investigation. According to the International Civil Aviation Organization, they can be reached at (873) 68 2341450 / 49 or by fax at (873) 68 1280784.

Edited by nunya

Spoke with one of the investigators on this accident and he let me know some facts. The aircraft had 5 MRAPS on it. The other contract carriers only carry 3. With 5 vehicles on the aircraft 2,3,&4 have ZERO forward and aft restraint. 1 has aft restraint and 5 has some forward restraint. The rear vehicle did break free and penetrate the aft bulkhead. Now this is what sucks. With that many vehicles, one shifting, even crashing through the bulkhead was not enough to cause this accident. They still would have had plenty of elavator authority. Unfortunately, when the vehicle slammed through the bulkhead it severed hydraulic lines to 2 separate systems, Took out the CVR and FDR (9 seconds after the rotate call), and finally did what actually brought the aircraft down. It hit the stabilizer trim unit and jammed it to 6 degrees none up, nothing they could do at that point.

The MRAP that broke free survived the crash (because it was in the tail) and they actually found orange marks on it from the FDR.

Edited by Butters

Regarding the incoherent details or atrocious grammar? Hopefully btrs can find the Edit when subered uup!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Dude, I am on my iPhone. Not the easiest thing to type on, drunk, while driving the boat. Give me a break.

• Upvote 1

Spoke with one of the investigators on this accident and he let me know some facts. The aircraft had 5 MRAPS on it. The other contract carriers only carry 3. With 5 vehicles on the aircraft 2,3,&4 have ZERO forward and aft restraint. 1 has aft restraint and 5 has some forward restraint. The rear vehicle did break free and penetrate the aft bulkhead. Now this is what sucks. With that many vehicles, one shifting, even crashing through the bulkhead was not enough to cause this accident. They still would have had plenty of elavator authority. Unfortunately, when the vehicle slammed through the bulkhead it severed hydraulic lines to 2 separate systems, Took out the CVR and FDR (9 seconds after the rotate call), and finally did what actually brought the aircraft down. It hit the stabilizer trim unit and jammed it to 6 degrees none up, nothing they could do at that point.

The MRAP that broke free survived the crash (because it was in the tail) and they actually found orange marks on it from the FDR.

wow

It has to be cheaper to ship MRAPs back via land/rail and eventually sea back to the US, right? There's no rush in getting them back to the States... hell, leave them in Germany until we invade <insert middle eastern country here> next.

To be be fair, there's a 90% chance they get intercepted by the Taliban in Pak if we do that.

Probably cannot meet the TPFDD dates for all the equipment if we only ship via the "overland" route. Have you seen the routing overland, then across the water and back to rail and the customs, etc requirements to ship that way?

Just a question....

I heard from a news source that their was a recording of the word "Wait" or "Weight"....which could be implied to mean several things.

I believe, if the CVR was rendered unusable, this could have been a quick discussion of "Weight shift"....but it was cut short.

Just a question....

I heard from a news source that their was a recording of the word "Wait" or "Weight"....which could be implied to mean several things.

I believe, if the CVR was rendered unusable, this could have been a quick discussion of "Weight shift"....but it was cut short.

It was cut short when the MRAP crashed into it. They can't send these things overland because they cannot protect them over the entire route. Just like the other guys said.

Edited by Butters

It has to be cheaper to ship MRAPs back via land/rail and eventually sea back to the US, right? There's no rush in getting them back to the States... hell, leave them in Germany until we invade next.

Pak GLoc has been pretty much closed for almost three years now. We still ship stuff like toilet paper over it but pretty much any and all military end user equipment is a no go. It's either left in country as TPE or airlifted home.