Tablet recommendations for civil flying

Spaceballs

Hey guys, I'm looking into getting a tablet for some GA flying. I know there are a bunch of awesome apps, like Foreflight, for the Ipad, and I saw the post on here about the new Naviator app for the Android platforms. Most of everything I have seen has been positive for the apps, but do either of these really drive the purchase of a specific tablet? I will be primarily using it for private flying and that's my main reason for wanting to buy one. As of now, I'm looking at the Samsung Galaxy 2 Tablet and any of the various Ipads. Of course I want the new one with the retina display and a 64gb hard drive, but the price is pretty steep. Do you guys have any recommendations on which tablet to go with for this use?

I've got the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1" and I like it. Sure it doesn't have the "retina" display, but I can't tell a big difference for 90% of the applications when run side by side with an iPad. Also, it has an SD port, so you could buy terabytes of memory on cards for the extra cost of the 64 gb iPad.

That said, I don't have any aviation apps on it really. I use it for digital pubs and games mostly.

Edited by sky_king

I've got a Motorola Xoom, and use Naviator. I also used Avilution for a while, but like the features in Naviator better (has world wide base maps so I can at least see borders).

The only downside to android is that its not as intuitive as the iPad. Its not so much a problem of me being able to use it, but when I ask my friend/passenger to do something on my tablet, I end up giving them the plane and messing with the tablet myself.

My biggest reason for going with an android tablet was because I had an android phone and didn't want to buy 2 sets of apps.

I have been working on getting back into GA aviation so I can get my SEL and a friend showed me Garmin Pilot. $149 subscription per year gets you tons of information, sectionals, approach plates, access to airport information, independent split screen display for approaches with map still in view. 30 day free trial. Not sure of the differences between iPad and Android but looking at reviews, there are differences.

I have the iPad Mini with ForeFlight and a BadElf GPS receiver which is a pretty cool wireless puck you can throw anywhere. I'm a huge fan, long battery life, very accurate position, and easily sync-able with all the other apple crap I've accumulated.

Edited by GoCanes7

I've got an Asus Transformer Prime. It's a 10.1" tablet, so it is not the best kneeboard type device, but the upshot is you can get the keyboard dock for it and double your battery life. I think my current model has been replaced by the Transformer Pad Infinity, which has a better screen and better GPS reception. If I were to get another tablet I would probably get the Nexus 7.

Ipad with foreflight is pretty nice. It reduced my chart subscriptions from $1000+/year to $75. The payback period is pretty quick even with the the new ipad. If you are willing to monkey with the software, the other android options might be worth a look. If you want to buy something and go fly a n hour later in IMC, buy an ipad...very few reliability issues as long as you keep it off of the glare shield.

I prefer "the paper Sectional". Highly reliable. Everything I need is on it.

If I find myself thinking I will need something for IFR filght,... I'll wait until it's VFR.

Android? Avare. TFRs and Free.

Fltplan.com. Good catch all.

AOPA? FlyQ

Weather? NOAA/ADDS and Duats

Quick pattern flight? FAA notam site Radius tool.

All on my Atrix2. Tablets have better battery life than phones with heavy use.

Edit to add- want to geek out? NGA Phaero has a droid app.

An old sectional still helps to find a freq to see if the MOA or other airspace is hot or cold if you don't want to intrude or get violated.

Of course, the basic stuff browse through BODN.

Edited by moosepileit