Boston Marathon Bombing

HU&W

This seems fairly obvious to me that these dudes did not have any sort of formal training in terrorism. The news was all about how sophisticated this attack was...bullshit. This was amateur bomb making, a poorly developed plan/strategy, and absolutely not consistent with any of the attacks being carried out by Chechen extremists or AQ in other parts of the world in terms of lethality. I am very thankful these idiots were not more successful, this could have been a lot more deadly. The bombs that are being used in Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, Syria etc. are generally much more sophisticated and much more lethal. These bombs seem to be the result of google searches and very little prior experience. I do think these dudes were probably motivated by radical Muslim beliefs, but I do not think they were backed or sponsored by AQ or Chechens.

"2"

Well my speculation was wrong so let me wipe my mouth as I eat my humble pie.

Right wing extremists attacks have historically been small scale, amateurish, and don't use suicide bombing tactics. Couple that with Boston & Tax Day it was a plausible that domestic right wing terror was suspect. But the multiple bombs and pressure cookers smelled of Islamic extremism. The ricin letter guy this week fits the bill to a T of a bipolar conspiracy crazed wing nut extremist attempting to make a statement in a small scale, amateurish attack.

I guess the only thing we can agree is extremist suck.

C'mon man...now it just sounds like you're quibbling. We all know you're not the biggest fan of the tea party (funny, because an argument can be made that Libertarians have a lot more in common with the tea party movement than the progressive left movement, but I digress). And you made an original post that most people read as an 'assumption/speculation' that the attack may have had something to do with domestic people who are affiliated with such causes as 'tax day', 'patriot day', etc, when the vast majority of recent bombings (and attempts) have had strong connections with Islamist terrorists...so either your bias came out or you went big time against the odds and lost. I'm not saying you're a Chris Matthews type at all...but we all have a bias, and yours against the tea party often comes out and I think most people on here saw what your originally wrote as a prime example. In the end, big deal, who cares--we all like to make assumptions on this board and we're all wrong from time to time. Just own up to the bias though.

I have no qualms admitting I'm against any group that actively works to limit the rights of others. I think the Tea Party started out as a great movement with a succint anti-tax/spending goal, but they have since been bastardized by neo-conservatives with a far right winged/religious agenda.

Did I speculate to say there was a chance these type of people were behind the attack? Sure. But I also hoped that wasn't true. I'd like to think that no matter how radical your agenda is you don't attack your own people to make your point. I'm glad these jackholes were foreigners- I'd hate to look at my fellow American with the shame that would have came it the attack was domestic.

If this had occured in Anchorage at the start of the Iditarod I may have speculated the attack was possibly done by radical animal-loving leftists based on the location and the occasion.

I have no qualms admitting I'm against any group that actively works to limit the rights of others. I think the Tea Party started out as a great movement with a succint anti-tax/spending goal, but they have since been bastardized by neo-conservatives with a far right winged/religious agenda.

Not to derail, but what rights have the Tea Party worked to limit?

Did you see or hear the excitement last night?

I had left about an hour prior to the incident and was at the Miracles of Science restaurant when the incident happened. I just heard the commotion of the emergency vehicles. The building I work out of is down Vassar from the Stata Center where it happened.

Since we are all just throwing assumptions out there, I am going to guess that these two were consistently disenfranchised socially in the U.S. and were falling further and further into isolation. I do not think they are connected to any particular group, and after reading the one guy's Vkontakte page he had a very typical Islamist view.

This seems fairly obvious to me that these dudes did not have any sort of formal training in terrorism. The news was all about how sophisticated this attack was...bullshit. This was amateur bomb making, a poorly developed plan/strategy, and absolutely not consistent with any of the attacks being carried out by Chechen extremists or AQ in other parts of the world in terms of lethality.

Yeah, I thought Chechen terrorists had things figured out better than this. Makes me wonder what, exactly, the motive was and if there were any larger connection to AQ at all.

With any luck, today the world will be less two of them.

Here's my thought. These guys felt like they didn't belong, and felt rejected by society, probably for being losers. They got deep into Islam (or at least the older one did) and they began to read websites that supported their contempt towards America. At some point they decided to retaliate, and used the plethora of online tools to build these rudimentary bombs. They chose a day that they knew would strike at the heart of the American spirit and population that they felt so disconnected from. They weren't capable of the mass destruction they were probably hoping for, thank God, and they had no real exit strategy. The fact that they weren't suicide bombers leads me to believe they were more angry at their surroundings than on a mission from Allah. The car jacking, shootout, and hideout show they are just cowards and amateur terrorists at best. Sure they might have used tools provided by AQ on the web, but these are absolutely not AQ operatives. Chechens really don't have a real beef with the American population, in fact they were supportive of a lot of our actions against USSR before the Cold War ended. Bottom line: these kids were fucking losers that wanted to bring some sort of action to their pathetic lives and hurt to the people they felt oppressed by.

Not to derail, but what rights have the Tea Party worked to limit?

Move to Kansas and you'll see it everyday in the legislature.

I was unaware David Sirota was a fiscally conservative, socially liberal libertarian.

• Upvote 1

From Massachusetts via the police scanner: "The suspect is in custody, but it's still a hot scene." Police asking for a medic.

Boston Police Department (Official): CAPTURED!!! The hunt is over. The search is done. The terror is over. And justice has won. Suspect in custody. Boston Strong.
Edited by MKopack

The ad, since some ass hole decided to flag it for removal:

Used boat for sale (Watertown)

67 Franklin Street

3E93K73Na5Lc5Fe5H2d4jcef8cf8d1bb11d46.jpg

My husband purchased this boat last year and we never use it. It has now been very, very used. We don't want this fucking boat, so come take it, it's free, come and take it, get it the hell out of our backyard, get it out right now. There are some unpleasant stains, a few burn marks and some bullet holes. Okay, a ton of bullet holes, at least 200, but nothing an enterprising young man or woman can't handle. Also, there will be helicopters and news cameras following this boat, and NBC's Pete Williams may want to take a ride on it.

Edited by discus

I'm pretty sure that is from his own bro running him over during the getaway...partially anyways.

According to the stuff I read earlier, the "Side Wound" is where the physicians sliced into him, in order to get at his heart to try to restart it. The redness around his face and neck is the result of whatever IED he detonated. I see one good sized hole in his side, and count two hits to the left arm.

They apparently threw five devices at LE this morning, only three detonated (1 grenade, 4 pipe-bombs).

Lastly, his brother, in apparent panic ran him over trying to get away last night.

FM