Sad Day in Del Rio

matmacwc

What a f**king shame. Poor kid lost his entire family because some asshat figured it was cool to drive after having a few... One thing the Air Force has taught me, and I'll give credit where credit is due, drinking and driving isn't worth it. Prayers are with him, and those down in Del Rio.

• Upvote 2

Continuing issue here in San Antonio. Should come with a mandatory life sentence, if you ask me.

Just keep it in mind if you're in the Alamo City (or any other major metro area) on a weekend evening, stay to the far right as much as possible as most wrong-way drunk drivers will be in the far left lane (thinking it is the right lane in the opposite direction).

My condolences to the family, friends and squadron.

Continuing issue here in San Antonio. Should come with a mandatory life sentence, if you ask me.

Just keep it in mind if you're in the Alamo City (or any other major metro area) on a weekend evening, stay to the far right as much as possible as most wrong-way drunk drivers will be in the far left lane (thinking it is the right lane in the opposite direction).

My condolences to the family, friends and squadron.

True, just happened last week in Seattle. State Patrol said same thing. Right lane.

Damnit. He form soloed me, really great IP. I'll never forget the debrief from the previous ride/brief for my solo: "Was your wingwork great? No! But it was safe. And that's why you're flying this next ride solo."

Probably too early to know, but is the 96th setting anything up for Zach?

We'll try to post something on here when/if it's set up. Kind of on our heels right now. The little town of Brackettville is reeling also. The Koontz's were an integral part of the community, and it has obviously sent shockwaves thru the town. They were on their way back from a One Act Play competition, which they won, when the worthless drunk hit them. Ken and Mel were amazingly good parents, and it showed in their kids. Ken was furniture in the 96th. Right now, though, we're going to concentrate on taking care of Zach, who's still in peds ICU, and the rest of their families. I am so thankful that all of them loved the Lord their God with all their heart, soul, mind, and strength.....but a pointless loss nonetheless.

• Upvote 7

This one hurts....senseless. That's three fatal accidents on 90 in the past year for the Laughlin family. Lt Col Koontz was a staple, he will be sorely missed. Thoughts and prayers for the family, ESP Zach....

XC Brief: "Don't be a goober and forget your shoes, unless you want to be that guy in green boots, in which case you will find yourself alone."

Him Him

• Upvote 1

I love and hate giving for all the right reasons.

KOONTZ MEMORIAL FUND

A fund has been established for family expenses and Zack Koontz at The Bank & Trust, PO Box 385, Brackettville, TX, 78832. Please make checks out to the Bank & Trust Koontz Memorial Fund. Specify account #3540332 in the memo line

Edited by matmacwc

This was a wonderful family who was deeply involved in the church my family attended while we were there for pilot training. Such a tragic loss, they will all be missed. We are definitely praying for Zach's recovery and peace as he continues his life without his parents and sisters.

In addition to matmacwc's info, you can also donate to the fund online through Del Rio Bible Church's Website. Use the link below, and select "Koontz Family" in the budget drop down on the right. https://www.mysimplegive.com/SG/sfDonate.jspx?uq=1366913620271&id=delrio

I went there (DRBC) while I was in UPT, great people. The Koontz family was there every time the doors were open.

Guest CannonCrashPad

I contributed. I hope others do too. 13 year old kid who lost his whole family. One of our own, and it could have happened to any of us. Zach's old man spent a lifetime serving our country, and he spent 13 years strengthening a family and instilling the value of family. That was taken from his youngest by some immoral POS who couldn't drink responsibly and just had to risk (and ultimately take) the lives of good people on the roads of Texas.

We wear thick skins, we flip each other shit, we give it with the bark on. In our community. Be a part of the community and help this kid out. You'll likely and hopefully never have a better opportunity to be a wingman to one of our own. While this tragedy will not be eased for this poor kid, I sure hope Zach doesn't wake up from the hospital and see that the comrades of his departed family gave little or nothing. Dig deep as you can. This is a good cause.

A terrible, horrible loss for XL. It makes no sense and it never will. Lt Col Koontz was a great officer, husband, and father. He and his family will be forever missed and remembered.

There is no excuse for drunk driving and there never will be.