Airwoman?

Toro

Next, the ranks will be changed accordingly to Airperson Basic, Senior Airperson, etc.

Delete this post immediately before someone reads it and thinks it is a great idea.....

We'll soon get rid of "Master" Sergeant because Master has racial undertones...and Senior Master might actually offend old people. Chief is already on the chopping block because the "Navaho Navaho Navaho" nation is offended....Greenpeace won't let us use oak leafs anymore because it is a symbol of the earth we destroy with our "bombs and missiles"...the possibilities are endless....

• Upvote 4

I suggest "Airwopersonordaughter" Wow, that puzzeled the spell checker This will undoubtedly advance me to "General Alpharatz"

.........................order me some air shocks for my white topped staff car...and be sure and salute my driver, but "not too friendly" OK?....

Edited by Alpharatz

We'll soon get rid of "Master" Sergeant because Master has racial undertones...

Sigh... I no kidding had a black SMSgt tell me not to call him 'Senior' because, "We don't call MSgt Master do we? That would be racist."

Sometimes I hate it here.

Sigh... I no kidding had a black SMSgt tell me not to call him 'Senior' because, "We don't call MSgt Master do we? That would be racist."

It's actually in 36-2618 not to call them "Senior." That and it sounds stupid.

It's actually in 36-2618 not to call them "Senior." That and it sounds stupid.

Guess I shouldn't be working on my Cyber stuff since I can't get a title right.

Only time corrected in 14 years.. guess I've had a lot of dirt bag Sergeants.

Just so I’m tracking, the preferred title should have been “MacDill Airman charged in boyfriend’s murder”? Anyone else see a problem with that?

Trying to give PA the benefit of the doubt here, maybe they were trying to keep us from looking like a bunch of fruits. Granted, it should have read “MacDill female Airman charged in boyfriend’s murder”. Missed it by that much.

Yes, that would have been the preferred title. She is, in fact, an Airman, so it would be correct. I don't think very many people would read that and actually think it was two guys, nor should that matter for public image. "MacDill female Airman..." sounds retarded and is a waste of a word. You wouldn't say "MacDill male Airman..." would you? Why even make the distinction? It takes 6-9 seconds of reading the article to figure out it was a woman. I chalk this up to the civilian public not knowing much about us and always trying to be too PC.

As for the whole "Senior" thing... As long as I've been in we've always referred to the NCO ranks by the first word in the title, when talking about promotion or generically as to what rank someone is. For example, I heard that Snuffy missed Master again this year, by half a point! Addressing someone as Senior is just as stupid as addressing someone by any other first word of their title. You don't say Staff Jones or Tech Smith, so where did this Senior Snuffy thing come from? Sergeant works just fine. Hell, call me Sarge if your too lazy to use all of the syllables. I'd probably pistol whip you for calling me Senior.

That is all.

There was a SMSgt Bates who told me something very similar a few years ago when I called him 'Senior Bates.'

As for the whole "Senior" thing... As long as I've been in we've always referred to the NCO ranks by the first word in the title, when talking about promotion or generically as to what rank someone is. For example, I heard that Snuffy missed Master again this year, by half a point! Addressing someone as Senior is just as stupid as addressing someone by any other first word of their title. You don't say Staff Jones or Tech Smith, so where did this Senior Snuffy thing come from? Sergeant works just fine. Hell, call me Sarge if your too lazy to use all of the syllables. I'd probably pistol whip you for calling me Senior.

That is all.

I don't know if it's a support thing, but at least in the Comm Sq it's pretty common.

I was always told to call them "senior." I wouldn't use that casual term in a formal setting like a promotion or during a meeting. And I wouldn't use it with the person's name. It's of a nickname. For example, I'd call a person 'senior' but not 'Senior Snuffy.'

I'd say its similar to calling someone "el-tee." You'd never call a guy "El-tee LastName" but you sure call a lot of lieutenants "el-tee."

And I'm well aware it is technically against the AFI. But I've just lumped this under the nickname category (like el-tee, callsigns, etc).

Just a hint guys, from someone who's been retired for over seven years now (my how time flies!), in the old days everyone that was an NCO was called 'sergeant' until such time as they pinned on Chief, at which point they were called 'Chief.'

Anyone who was enlisted and not an NCO was called 'airman.'

It was simple and it worked...

• Upvote 6

Just a hint guys, from someone who's been retired for over seven years now (my how time flies!), in the old days everyone that was an NCO was called 'sergeant' until such time as they pinned on Chief, at which point they were called 'Chief.'

Anyone who was enlisted and not an NCO was called 'airman.'

It was simple and it worked...

That's how it's worked for the past 12-years I've been in. Blame Security Forces for starting the "Senior" things with SMSgt's, which apparently has spread throughout the MSG. I know in flying squadron's we still abbreviate to Sergeant because the AFI says to, and it's worked for the past few decades.