Sign in to follow this  
Tex

Columbus AFB Information

Capital, State, and Magnolia are all on base. Audobon Cove is an off base location. If you are looking for on base, the Cove is a non-factor.

• Upvote 1

This is my first PCS (DITY) so please excuse my inexperience.

I'll have a 14' Uhaul with a car in tow behind, moving in to base housing. I have never been to CBM so my question is if there is a specific gate I should use to enter the base due to the size of my rental and vehicle? Not really wanting to try and back everything up by showing up at the wrong gate.

Additionally, do I need to contact security forces ahead of time because I'm moving stuff?

Thanks for any help

-Chem

-No to contacting SFS. They're used to trucks showing up all the time with stuff for AAFES, UPS, etc. and will search it if needed when you get there.

-It's been a few years, but you should be just fine going through the main gate. Keep in mind if you try to go through the aux gate that it closes early-ish (like 1800-2000, I think). Not a lot of room to turn around a truck towing a car, so I'd stick with the main gate personally.

-Since it's your first DITY, don't forget to get empty and full weights. This includes having the car you're towing weighed both empty and with your stuff in it, as you can get paid for having stuff in the car. That, and most commercial CAT scales will let you re-weigh within 24 hours for free. FWIW.

One of the co's in our squadron just came from Columbus and said to avoid State at all costs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

State and Magnolia aren't bad. It's Capitol Village you want to avoid

Thank you so much for the information. In the unlikely event, then, that I get an offer for Magnolia or State- which one would you pick?

I'm looking at the housing website and it mentions: Capital, Magnolia, and State. Any chance that they changed the name from Audobon Cove to one of those so I know which to avoid? Thanks for your help!

I would pick Magnolia. They're the newest on base. Parts of state look a little dilapidated. Capitol isn't that bad, but having spoken to others who lived there, I think I had an above average experience. If given a do over, I would take capitol again. Living on base was worth it. Also, Capitol is the prettiest neighborhood as far as landscaping and scenery are concerned.

• Upvote 1

Anyone know what it costs an 0-3 to send a child to Heritage or Annunciation for kindergarten? Would they provide financial aid?

Edited by Go Falcons

Anyone know what it costs an 0-3 to send a child to Heritage or Annunciation for kindergarten? Would they provide financial aid?

Rank has no factor in what the private schools charge.

Heritage is $5K per kid for the school year, K thru 6. They do offer a half day for K-4 (< $5K) but not sure if they have a half day for normal kindergarten....there is a $500 multi kid discount. No idea about financial aid...I would think not because they typically have no problem filling the classrooms.

Columbus Christian is $4500 per kid with a $700 multi kid discount. No idea about financial aid.

Annunciation Catholic is about $4500 as well. It is the school farthest away from the base. No idea about financial aid.

I'll be headed to Columbus soon. What time does the day generally start? I'm trying to figure out housing and how early I'd have to leave depending on where I live and when we report in every morning.

10 minutes ago, Fly4five said:

I'll be headed to Columbus soon. What time does the day generally start? I'm trying to figure out housing and how early I'd have to leave depending on where I live and when we report in every morning.

When your casual, most jobs 8ish, unless you get a shitty gig. UPT? its not a 9-5 desk job. Some mornings you will be there at 3,4,5 am. Sometimes you will show up at 2,3,4 pm to fly at night. Hours are never the same, except most days for the next year of your life will easily be 11-12 hour days. I lived on the north side of town, its about 10 mins to base. I also lived on base, you will be rolling the dice, the old houses suck, the new ones aren't bad. 

I recommend anywhere on the north side of town. Avoid the southern areas, especially the south east corner. Its the hood.