Columbus AFB Information

Tex

18 hours ago, YoungnDumb said:

Dude no one will ever give a $hit if/when the wife visits, enjoy your family time to the max extent.  Those rules are there to prevent people from having 69 people living in the same dorm room.  Now that all being said, find someone who has an open room and go live there, save a few bucks and it gets you away from base each day.

Good to know, just making sure. I'm told that I can live in the UOQ and collect full BAH, so it's not a matter of renting a room off base to save money.

11 hours ago, viper154 said:

No one gave a shit 3-4 years ago. Bunch of the guard bros lived next to each other in the dorms, we always knew when ones one wife came to visit by the noises made in flight room that Monday morning. Apparently there were a lot of screamers, or fakers. 

Complete side note, lots of cool areas around Columbus that make a good weekend trip, Nashville, New Orleans, Pcola, just to name a few. 

Weekend trips are definitely planned, but I'm operating on the assumption that there will be times when it would be nice to see each other but I won't have the time to get away.

Just now, JRBac said:

Did you hear that from the UOQ manager? Just curious

From the 340th FTG during inprocessing at Randolph a few weeks ago. Due to being Reserve and having a spouse and lease elsewhere. I know it seems contrary to the what the regs say, but they were firm that it would be allowed.

2 hours ago, JRBac said:

Okay, cool. Another option you might want to look into is getting a house on base. The ones they give to Lts up here are way more spacious than the UOQ rooms, and you'd break right about even with BAH

Eh, I'd rather have ~$1200 a month tax free (collecting based on my HOR rate) and a small studio apartment, than a house and no money.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Stoker said:

For anyone showing up who plans on staying in the dorms, the manager tells you it's a twin XL mattress, but it's really a full XL (53x80). Just in case you want to order the right size sheets/mattress topper. keep your 'hospital corner' game strong.

FIFY. I know what you meant.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

I'm currently an OTS Cadet with orders to Columbus AFB this coming September. I'm a non-prior so I doing my due diligence to prepare for in-processing in the next couple weeks. I was wondering how the in-processing went? Is there any need for deviation from the welcome packet? I was also wondering how the housing situation is currently for single UOQ? I've heard back in forth that its full. Should I go straight to housing to request off-base or follow the welcome packet and go to the UOQ. What are some casual positions that have been great to work in?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2018 at 2:48 PM, puddle247 said:

I'm currently an OTS Cadet with orders to Columbus AFB this coming September. I'm a non-prior so I doing my due diligence to prepare for in-processing in the next couple weeks. I was wondering how the in-processing went? Is there any need for deviation from the welcome packet? I was also wondering how the housing situation is currently for single UOQ? I've heard back in forth that its full. Should I go straight to housing to request off-base or follow the welcome packet and go to the UOQ. What are some casual positions that have been great to work in?

You'll have to go to the UOQs first, even if it's full there's a waitlist to get out, so you'd take someone's room and they'd get to move. They're also intermittently letting single students find a roommate and share a base house, pocketing ~$400 of leftover BAH. YMMV. For the UOQs, the beds are Full XLs in case you want to order sheets that actually fit. Don't listen to the UOQ lady if she tells you different.

Casual jobs are much less of a thing than they used to be, you mostly don't get one unless you're in the wrong place at the right time. Instead, expect to be assigned as a casual to a T-6 flight room for at least a few weeks before you start academics. The idea is you can study, ask questions, etc.

2 hours ago, Stoker said:

You'll have to go to the UOQs first, even if it's full there's a waitlist to get out, so you'd take someone's room and they'd get to move. They're also intermittently letting single students find a roommate and share a base house, pocketing ~$400 of leftover BAH. YMMV. For the UOQs, the beds are Full XLs in case you want to order sheets that actually fit. Don't listen to the UOQ lady if she tells you different.

Casual jobs are much less of a thing than they used to be, you mostly don't get one unless you're in the wrong place at the right time. Instead, expect to be assigned as a casual to a T-6 flight room for at least a few weeks before you start academics. The idea is you can study, ask questions, etc.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm assuming from your info there are a lot people waiting to get off base. With so many classes throughout the year is it usually a couple months on that waiting list before you are able to get off base?

The assignment to a casual t-6 flight room will be great to start learning. I hope you are right with a few weeks before academics because the RIP i received from OTS said I wouldnt be starting IFT till january.

9 hours ago, puddle247 said:

Thanks for the heads up. I'm assuming from your info there are a lot people waiting to get off base. With so many classes throughout the year is it usually a couple months on that waiting list before you are able to get off base?

The assignment to a casual t-6 flight room will be great to start learning. I hope you are right with a few weeks before academics because the RIP i received from OTS said I wouldnt be starting IFT till january.

We just had the biggest influx of new people to the dorms (Academy folks showing up), so it might be a while. I was given the offer to get out about two months after getting here, but they were trying to clear space for the ring-wearers coming in.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Ok, what happened to the limousine driven by a UPT student that lived in base housing a few months ago. It's not here now. 
I hope another class bought it. 

Edited by HuggyU2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...