Columbus AFB Information

Tex

6 minutes ago, Bobby said:

I agree. Strong opinions are the benchmark of a solid future USAF pilot. Be sure to keep a stiff upper lip and don’t be afraid to share your opinions at UPT. Your IP’s will recognize this and reward you above your peers. Stay strong!

thanks, i appreciate it

1 hour ago, Jondaman4 said:

Yes that was the plan.  The issue I was asking about was when to buy it because honestly I have no desire to drive 2000 miles in  a car.  The desire not to drive for 2000 miles shouldnt make me less of an adult, a college graduate or an officer in the USAF

When You see the cars available in Mississippi you will know if you made the correct decision.

Yes that was the plan.  The issue I was asking about was when to buy it because honestly I have no desire to drive 2000 miles in  a car.  The desire not to drive for 2000 miles shouldnt make me less of an adult, a college graduate or an officer in the USAF

DBAP

• Upvote 1

There isn't UBER in Columbus and there is only one or two taxis and they run intermittently.

You will be able to rent a car at Golden Triangle but unless you know someone at CBM you will not be able to drop it off at the Enterprise in Columbus because it's a 10+ minute drive.

If you press with your current plan, it may end in disaster.

Edited by LookieRookie

2 hours ago, Jondaman4 said:

The desire not to drive for 2000 miles shouldnt make me less of an adult, a college graduate or an officer in the USAF

buy a car and drive it to upt you knucklehead. i would have rode a freakin donkey across the usa to get to upt.

millennials.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

On 12/26/2017 at 3:26 PM, Jondaman4 said:

this September

This September? What's your start date

Look up what your mileage reimbursement will be and compare to loss in car value due to driving 2k miles. It exists for a reason

Edited by Bobsan
can't spell

.  The desire not to drive for 2000 miles shouldnt make me less of an adult, a college graduate or an officer in the USAF

Except for that it kind of does man. You get what hopefully is your dream job and you can’t be bothered to spend 3-4 days on the road to go make it happen? College graduate, sure. Adult and Officer? Questionable. Grow up dude.

Also, nickel’s worth of free advice. Probably not the best move to ask folks in this line of work, who traverse the country and the world every 3 or so years, about how you don’t have the desire to take a little road trip. I mean really.

Also, what was your plan for after UPT and/or every time you move for the rest of your life?
  • Like 3

I find this whole discussion interesting. My initial question was regarding the logistics of getting to Columbus AFB without a car and the need for even having a car. Instead of getting advice (for the most part) I seemed to be attacked for asking the question and for thinking that I could buy a car later on . My manhood seems to be in question because I rather fly than drive which in itself is ironic seems I am going to UPT to be a pilot and not a driver. I get the impression from many  that the harder I make the trip for myself , the better officer I will be.  And if not a better officer at least a better adult.   I have commented that I could  buy a crappy car while at UPT and be financially responsible and wait until I leave Columbus to buy a long term car. It has also been recommended that I get the 25000 loan from USAA and indulge in a car while putting myself in debt.  That being preferable to a 3000 or so car that won’t put me debt which  I can sell when I leave Columbus. I am not even saying that my ideas are correct but I was asking if it made sense . Of course these questions resulted in someone commenting that standards have lowered and that I as a Millenial  are too lazy to drive cross country . For those who gave me a smart answer, I now realize that I will need to arrive with a car. It will be too difficult not to have one. My thought was to travel light and when l leave UPT I won’t have tons of crap to take with me . What happens later after 3 years will be taken care of differently . Thanks for all the great advice. (Sarcasm for those who don’t get it ) I  now see that it is better not to ask questions because it seems to bother some people’s sensibility of what are acceptable questions . 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Dapper Dan Man said:

Except for that it kind of does man. You get what hopefully is your dream job and you can’t be bothered to spend 3-4 days on the road to go make it happen? College graduate, sure. Adult and Officer? Questionable. Grow up dude.

Also, nickel’s worth of free advice. Probably not the best move to ask folks in this line of work, who traverse the country and the world every 3 or so years, about how you don’t have the desire to take a little road trip. I mean really.

Also, what was your plan for after UPT and/or every time you move for the rest of your life?

I need to grow up because I don’t want I drive for 3-4 days when I could fly  ? My concept of adulthood seems to be very different than yours . I actually appreciate the advice you have written, what I don’t like is that it is your advice is attached to indignation as I have years of experience and have broken some unwritten rule that I am an expert on 

6 hours ago, Jondaman4 said:

I find this whole discussion interesting. My initial question was regarding the logistics of getting to Columbus AFB without a car and the need for even having a car. I have commented that I could  buy a crappy car while at UPT and be financially responsible and wait until I leave Columbus to buy a long term car. My thought was to travel light and when l leave UPT I won’t have tons of crap to take with me .

Well sure you can get to Columbus without a car. You gonna live out of a suitcase for a year? 

If you move yourself(DITY) the government actually PAYs you to move your stuff. Measured by the pound. Heavier your moving van, more money you get. You could buy a crappy car for a year, but why bother? Why not just buy a car you want to last? You think Columbus is so bad it's gonna get stolen or something?

1 hour ago, viper154 said:

nah bro, plenty of public transport in Columbus. I wouldn’t worry about it until you get there. Plenty of options right at the airport. 

I would assume you are being sarcastic based on what everyone else has written about Columbus.  Not sure why you would purposely be unnhelpful when I am asking for advice.

4 hours ago, gucci said:

Well sure you can get to Columbus without a car. You gonna live out of a suitcase for a year? 

If you move yourself(DITY) the government actually PAYs you to move your stuff. Measured by the pound. Heavier your moving van, more money you get. You could buy a crappy car for a year, but why bother? Why not just buy a car you want to last? You think Columbus is so bad it's gonna get stolen or something?

Interesting question,  When I finish school this May, I am basically going to have my computer, television, sheets,  towels and  clothes.  As I assumed I will be living in UOQ for the whole time or for a period of time, I am not going to need much in terms of furniture and I would buy anything I need.  So it not like I am going to need a truck to move my stuff.  So no I wont be living out of my suitcase, but I am not exactly moving in with tons of stuff. 

Interesting question,  When I finish school this May, I am basically going to have my computer, television, sheets,  towels and  clothes.  As I assumed I will be living in UOQ for the whole time or for a period of time, I am not going to need much in terms of furniture and I would buy anything I need.  So it not like I am going to need a truck to move my stuff.  So no I wont be living out of my suitcase, but I am not exactly moving in with tons of stuff. 

You gonna check a TV into checked baggage? Why not just bring your Charger that you already own? I lived in the UOQ for a month and during that month I was at IFS. Those UOQs were terrible. The A/C was horrible not sure if you have spent much time in the south, but it is humid. When I came back from IFS there was mold everywhere in the room. Couldn't wait to move out of those things.

2 hours ago, Jondaman4 said:

I would assume you are being sarcastic based on what everyone else has written about Columbus.  Not sure why you would purposely be unnhelpful when I am asking for advice.

Because you need a attitude adjustment, cadet. Sure your question may seem silly to us, but hey, you asked for help, some people gave you useful advice, some were being a smart ass. Where you went wrong is with your long winded quibbling response to the sarcasm you received. 

I guarantee if you take that attitude to the debrief (even in the new, hard to wash people out UPT) you will be crushed. Aviators are a sarcastic group, we give each other a hard time, it’s part of the culture, and for good reason. 

Many of times in UPT you are going to get sarcastic, souls crushing comments made by your instructors and your friends when you mess something up or say something silly. 

Dont be a whiny bitch. Take your lickings, learn your lesson and move on with your mouth shut. 

*by a damn used Honda Civic and drive it out with your shit, you will make $1000+ for driving it with the weight of your stuff. And, you won’t be “that guy” that needs a ride every day to every place. Make some sight seeing stops on the way, crank the tunes, sounds a lot more fun than being crammed nut to butt next a old person who shit themselves in seat 37B on the cattle shuttle. 

Edited by viper154

Actually I currently drive a 2006 Dodge Charger RT, but I am sure the Prius does well with gas mileage

Notice he doesn’t deny the part about the roadhead.

57 minutes ago, viper154 said:

Because you need a attitude adjustment, cadet. Sure your question may seem silly to us, but hey, you asked for help, some people gave you useful advice, some were being a smart ass. Where you went wrong is with your long winded quibbling response to the sarcasm you received. 

I guarantee if you take that attitude to the debrief (even in the new, hard to wash people out UPT) you will be crushed. Aviators are a sarcastic group, we give each other a hard time, it’s part of the culture, and for good reason. 

Many of times in UPT you are going to get sarcastic, souls crushing comments made by your instructors and your friends when you mess something up or say something silly. 

Dont be a whiny bitch. Take your lickings, learn your lesson and move on with your mouth shut. 

*by a damn used Honda Civic and drive it out with your shit, you will make $1000+ for driving it with the weight of your stuff. And, you won’t be “that guy” that needs a ride every day to every place. Make some sight seeing stops on the way, crank the tunes, sounds a lot more fun than being crammed nut to butt next a old person who shit themselves in seat 37B on the cattle shuttle. 

No, I am only long winded  when writing on social media.  I kind of enjoy  wrtiting excruciating long responses that gives lots of  details.  It is my respose to how most people write on social media where you almost have to read their minds in order out figure out what they mean.  I also know it annoy most people because of their short attention span especially  as memes are all they can handle. I know  to deal with people  so that isnt an issue but I figured if most of you are going to be sarcastic or even insutling, I may as play my own game even if I only appreciate it. As for whinning, well sure I thought this would be place one could ask as serious question and be given a serioius answer.  Sarcasm is fine as long as you are given an answer.  Giving me sarcasm for the sake of it seems childish, but then again I am need to grow up as someone mentioned before.    Old age and dementia must be a serious problem on this forum as I have repeatly said  I would get a car, so I am not the guy who will need a ride. What I did ask is if I could get away with buying a cheap car after I arrived which as I have found is not only un realistic and not workable but insulting to most of you.  Which is ironic since I am supposed to be whinny bitch

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jondaman4 said:

No, I am only long winded  when writing on social media.  I kind of enjoy  wrtiting excruciating long responses that gives lots of  details.  It is my respose to how most people write on social media where you almost have to read their minds in order out figure out what they mean.  I also know it annoy most people because of their short attention span especially  as memes are all they can handle. I know  to deal with people  so that isnt an issue but I figured if most of you are going to be sarcastic or even insutling, I may as play my own game even if I only appreciate it. As for whinning, well sure I thought this would be place one could ask as serious question and be given a serioius answer.  Sarcasm is fine as long as you are given an answer.  Giving me sarcasm for the sake of it seems childish, but then again I am need to grow up as someone mentioned before.    Old age and dementia must be a serious problem on this forum as I have repeatly said  I would get a car, so I am not the guy who will need a ride. What I did ask is if I could get away with buying a cheap car after I arrived which as I have found is not only un realistic and not workable but insulting to most of you.  Which is ironic since I am supposed to be whinny bitch

• Like 1