Columbus AFB Information

Tex

Your best bet, for both Caledonia schools and a short commute - is to find a place in Oakdale Park, which is where we currently live. I don't recall if you're looking to rent or buy, but, the house next door to us just went on the market. However, the prices in ODP are seemingly overpriced due to the simple demand of the houses here (schools, proximity, etc.).

If I had to do it all over again, however, I would have moved out to Caledonia. We commute 4-5 times a week out there for school related activities, youth sports, etc. Yes, you will find yourself 30 minutes from "downtown" - but the commute is simply because of the red lights on Hwy 45.

Anything you want to do around here, you have to drive 15-30 minutes....so keep that in mind.

Anything south of Jess Lyons road is city schools.

Heritage allows you to live close to the city, but it's over-priced compared to private schools around the country and the "quality" of education you receive - from folks who send their kids there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know the Oakdale Drive subdivision is in the Caledonia school district...wondering if there is a school bus that leaves from the subdivision or will we have to drive the kiddo's ourselves?

Cheers,

Cap-10

I know the Oakdale Drive subdivision is in the Caledonia school district...wondering if there is a school bus that leaves from the subdivision or will we have to drive the kiddo's ourselves?

Cheers,

Cap-10

Picks up at your house if you live in the newer, back part --- on the main street if you live in the newer section.

PM me which house you are looking at and I'll let you know for sure - PM works.

Gunshop question (search function showed responses from 2007),

I'm new to handgun ownership so looking for recommendations for a gun-shop around CBM...looing to buy guns and ammo as well as being able to make upgrades to the gun (sights, rails) etc.

As far as shooting ranges, I've heard Starkville had a nice club with a yearly membership...any updates?

Thanks!

Cheers,

Cap-10

looking for recommendations for a gun-shop around CBM...

I went browsing through Gary's Gun & Pawn today, they have a nice store, more of a gun shop than a pawn shop, really. Very good selection of rifles, shotguns, and handguns from what I saw (new and used). Plenty of accessories to go with also.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=gun+pawn&hl=en&ll=33.530234,-88.428097&spn=0.048295,0.104628&sll=33.510556,-88.426294&sspn=0.048306,0.104628&t=h&gl=us&hq=gun+pawn&z=14

Gary's is okay, but I had a little beef with them over their transfer rules (they wouldn't allow a pvt person to ship to them (FFL), they would only do FFL - FFL). Didn't tell me that fact until the gun got there.

I'd go with Mitche's. They have the closest firing range anyway, about 15 minutes north of base.

Any intel on good places to eat in and around town? So far, I've tried Hank's BBQ and Proffit's Porch and both have been excellent. Looking to find some decent Mexican, Pizza, and Chinese. I tried the new Umi Japanese place and it was pretty good.

Chinese: Lil' Kitchen, outside the back gate...on Hwy 373.

Pizza: CJ's, if I remember correctly it's in the Towne Square shopping plaza on N18th Street...same plaza with the Books a million and the old navy.

Cheers,

Cap-10

Any intel on good places to eat in and around town? So far, I've tried Hank's BBQ and Proffit's Porch and both have been excellent. Looking to find some decent Mexican, Pizza, and Chinese. I tried the new Umi Japanese place and it was pretty good.

Mexican - Mi Toro in both Columbus and Caledonia

Restaurants:

1.) Huck's - downtown. has live music on Thursday nights, and next to the Columbus "social scene" (cough). Pretty good seafood dishes, and sometimes, they'll cook you a mean steak. When a group of my peeps wants to go out to eat, this is by far our top choice. Service is sometimes a bit slow, and a small bar, but the food and atmosphere is good.

Harvey's isn't too bad

The best date/anniversary/expensive restaurant, and arguably, the "best" food is J Broussards. http://jbroussards.com/

2.) mexican - La Hacienda is the best in town, hands down. That's not saying much....so wait until you've left San Antonio (PIT) for about 6 months until trying. your choices are limited, but the other places food literally tastes like it was a frozen TV dinner.

3.) Pizza - CJ's is the best in town. Period.

4.) Asian - Lil Kitchen, right outside the back gate, is a descent meal...and is quality for Columbus. UMI's grill, which you said you ate at, is new to Columbus - best Sushi in town. Little Tokyo is known for descent sushi, but the service is horrible. Bon Thai, across from the Columbus Country Club is above average....but extremely limited seating.

5.) PJ's BBQ has the best brisket in town if you ask me. Hanks is the best all-around IMHO.

6.) There are no Italian resturants. Too bad.

7.) United deli makes mean sandwiches, on the east side of town.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cell phone carrier:

1) who do you use...good coverage? Reception on base / in your squadron?

2) 3G / 4G?

ETA: 19 days.

Cheers,

Cap-10

AT&T here: Around the populated areas of town I get pretty good signal and HSPA+ speeds, but when I get too far out from there it drops off quick. AT&T signal on base sucks. I get signal outside, but can barely get voice signal indoors, let alone data. Where I live off base (off of Holly Hills rd) I was getting about 1 bar inside my house if I was lucky, but I bought this thing called a microcell from AT&T and now I get 5 bars. It connects to your broadband internet and acts like a mini cell tower.

Cell phone carrier:

1) who do you use...good coverage? Reception on base / in your squadron?

2) 3G / 4G?

ETA: 19 days.

Cheers,

Cap-10

Verizon

3G around Caledonia, 4G in Columbus and have never had any problems or lost service.

Does Verizon offer internet down there as well? Maybe a home bundle type of thing?

Cheers,

Cap-10

CableOne's internet is actually really fast. 50 Mbps advertised, and I've actually tested my connection at those speeds during non-peak hours. Their cable kind of sucks though, no on-demand channels. Some guys use Direct TV.

What about that little joint that had the best steak in the world? Everything else on the menu was nothing. They sold steak, crappy salad, and pop by the can. I can't remember the name of it, but 10 years ago it was the best steak I've ever paid for. It was in a trailer, and the grill was right by the door as you walked in.

What about that little joint that had the best steak in the world? Everything else on the menu was nothing. They sold steak, crappy salad, and pop by the can. I can't remember the name of it, but 10 years ago it was the best steak I've ever paid for. It was in a trailer, and the grill was right by the door as you walked in.

Old Hickory. All they know is steak and potatoes.

• Upvote 1

What was the other place for a good steak? It was across the street (ish) from Old Hickory in a rundown strip mall kind of place.

Very no frills, but they had a 16 oz sirloin there to make your eyes water.