Columbus AFB Information

Tex

My wife and I are starting our search to buy a house off base in a nice neighborhood ($150,000 - $200,000) and were wondering what options there are. Any advice would be great, thanks.

Do you guys want to have a lot of land and space? If so, there are some nice homes sitting on large lots towards Caledonia, about 10-15 mins from base. You will be about 20 mins away from downtown Columbus though. However if you want to be closer to town, check out Sherwood Forest, Audubon Cove, and downtown itself.

In my opinion, there are two "nice" areas to Columbus that I would consider buying:

1. Cobblestone Village in Caledonia. However, most of the houses for sale/rent are in or near that area. Look for houses on Buck Egger or Wolfe Road.

Here is an example: http://www.militarybyowner.com/homes/MS/Caledonia/Sandstone_Circle/MBO116917.aspx

It would be a good place as well to rent the house once you move. The Caledonia schools are the sought ISD in the area.

2. Near downtown....there are several for sale right now in the historic district

http://www.crye-leike.com/616-3rd-ave/homes/in-zip-code-39701-mgrp-4-tid-goldentriangle-mlsnum-13.643-ln-38-p-4

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that Cobblestone village in Caledonia is very nice.

IMHO, I think Wolfe Road can be a hard sell due to it being the 'major' (by MS standards) in/out of Caledonia, so quite a bit of traffic.

If you want to send the kiddo's to Caledonia schools, you need to live North of Jess Lyons Road (or live on base)...South of Jess Lyons is in the Columbus public district.

Popular private schools are Heritage Academy and Annunciation Catholic.

Cheers,

Cap-10

"Popular private schools are Heritage Academy and Annunciation Catholic."

Agree - Emmanual is also a viable option.

"Popular private schools are Heritage Academy and Annunciation Catholic."

Agree - Emmanual is also a viable option.

HOWEVER - don't be confused about the private school system in/around Columbus. They are NOT superior in academic settings in any way shape or form. There were/are several people in my former squadron at CBM who bounced there kids from Heritage to Emmanual....and from private to Caledonia simply due to internal factors at the school. Columbus (city proper) is definitely a city of who has vs. has nots.

Thanks for the inputs. We don't have any kids so school district location is not a big factor. I know it might help in resale but we're open to other nice areas.

After searching a few of the websites it seems like homes are a little overpriced for the region. Maybe I shouldn't be comparing but the quality to price aren't really matching up.

All that said, I would really like to buy again, so if anyone has a realtor they'd like to recommend it would be much appreciated!

• 2 months later...

Will be attending UPT in May and hoping some people could help with some questions. I've read through this entire topic and haven't quite found concrete answers. Below are my questions:

1. I'm married and have a infant son, they 'technically' will not be coming with me to UPT (wife has a great job that would be stupid to leave). However, her employer has given her the 'thumbs' up to have 8 days/month to work remotely from home (which we are thankful for). Her and my boy are planning to travel and stay with me during these 8 days/month. This should excuse me from being considered an 'unaccompanied officer' and having to live in the dorms correct?

2. Any recommendations on apartments? Are Waverly and Franklin(?) still the recommended? By next year my little guy should be walking/running/roaming so if we could choose we would want a playground/park nearby but overall we need someplace that is 'safe' to be out and about. (close to base would be a plus)

3. Is there a timeframe in which I need to contact these apartments? I'm assuming they are almost always full due to the rapid turnover of new people coming in constantly. I'm still 9 months away, but trying to plan ahead as best as possible.

Thanks for any and all help.

-Chem

Edited by chem_teacher_flies85

Audubon cove. Live off base as unaccompanied. Submit a Family Separation Form and get $125/month for not having your family living with you. Check out the BAH rates for your present city compared to Columbus. Guaranteed that you will have more BAH for where you are coming from vs. what Columbus BAH gives you (~$900). Bank the extra money. Laugh all the way to the bank. But, YMMV.

EDIT: In case I wasn't clear due to Friday night roll call, submit a waiver for your BAH to take the higher of the two locations (locations being primary residence and where you are attending UPT).

Edited by mp5g

• 3 months later...

Anyone have current info on how long the wait is for on base housing? Wait list says we are 49/58, website says it can't estimate a wait time until I am inside of 30 days of moving in. (47 days out now) Is it likely that we will get a house? Or should I start looking at some off base options?

• 1 month later...

Will be heading to Columbus EOM July...I'm sure the off base options talked about throughout haven't changed too much. I'm trying to weigh the benefits of living on base and being closer but less/no BAH with living off base and finding a decent place to rent. AD O-3, never lived on base before so NASA as far as that goes. Any advice/opinions?

It will be me, my wife and our dog...she will be working on base at the CDC, so we will both be commuting to work on base. Thanks guys!

Edited by hispeed7721

Get on the wait list now. I've been on since December and still haven't gotten offered a on base house. Talked to the office two weeks ago when I got here, still had another 45-60 day wait. I decided on a off base place just north of town. Plenty of houses that allow dogs in the $1000 TO $1200 range that are under a 10 minute commute if you decided to go that route. My worthless 2Lt stud opinion, if you can get on base go for it.

Permanent party gets priority. Other than that I think you take a number and get in line. You also don't need orders to get on the wait list. Long as you can provide some sort of document that says your coming to CBM. I did not know this until a few days ago. Would have been useful info to me over a year ago. I was searching this thread earlier today for gun stores and someone else provided that little hint several years ago. Don't make my mistake and wait for orders.

Edited by viper154

• 2 months later...

If you're planning to live on base, I would expect to get Capitol. I knew of a few couples w/o children that got Magnolia or State, but they were the exception. The Misses and I spent a year in Capitol and have no complaints for the most part. They aren't the prettiest houses, but they get the job done.

Edited by Gus Chiggins

Audobon Cove was pretty nice. Lots of studs so there were always places to drink and it was an easy walk back to your own house. Pool was great in the summertime but management changed halfway through my time there, and they got a little more strict with drinking at the pool.

Audobon Cove was pretty nice. Lots of studs so there were always places to drink and it was an easy walk back to your own house. Pool was great in the summertime but management changed halfway through my time there, and they got a little more strict with drinking at the pool.

The new management also doesn't hesitate to call the Student Squadron CC & dime kids out for poolside shenanigans.

If you're planning to live on base, I would expect to get Capitol. I knew of a few couples w/o children that got Magnolia or State, but they were the exception. The Misses and I spent a year in Capitol and have no complaints for the most part. They aren't the prettiest houses, but they get the job done.

Thank you so much for the information. In the unlikely event, then, that I get an offer for Magnolia or State- which one would you pick?

Really? Although with some of the shit they were throwing around in their monthly newsletter, it's not too far out of the realm of possibilities. Eh, ######'em. Stay somewhere else.

I'm looking at the housing website and it mentions: Capital, Magnolia, and State. Any chance that they changed the name from Audobon Cove to one of those so I know which to avoid? Thanks for your help!