ROTC Budget Cuts

Sketch

Just got a heads up from our cadre that monthly cadet stipends will be lowered by $50 for all year groups starting in the fall. This applies to all contracted cadets, not just the new people who are being awarded scholarships this FY.

AS100 - $250

AS200 - $300

AS300 - $350

AS400 - $450

Also, I heard a rumor that Air Univ wants to drop the original FT slots number from 2200 to 1500 this year. Not sure if its going to happen but apparently thats the amount they're looking at.

Bad times ahead...

Does that mean that in in FY15, there would only be ~1500 commissionees? That's going to cause all kinds of long term effects for Big Blue...

Earlier this month, I saw the below article from Lt Gen Jones about protecting our "seed corn" so we don't have the "bathtub" effect that could negatively impact the AF for 20 years. I was hoping that meant AFROTC EA and FT slots would be protected even with all the budget woes & sequestration...

http://www.homestead.afrc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123338441

Earlier this month, I saw the below article from Lt Gen Jones about protecting our "seed corn" so we don't have the "bathtub" effect that could negatively impact the AF for 20 years. I was hoping that meant AFROTC EA and FT slots would be protected even with all the budget woes & sequestration...

http://www.homestead...sp?id=123338441

Thats what I thought too, because each FY group needs a minimum number of new 2nd Lts to fill career fields. But the source I heard that from is very reliable (won't repeat it here, PM me if you want more details) and at this point I wouldn't doubt it. They did say thats the number they want, but not necessarily what they will give out. The higher ups could step in and prevent Air U from dropping it to 1500 EAs.

Not a big deal. OTS accessions are designed to be elastic for this exact reason. If, in a few years the AF can't get the required number of 2LT's from ROTC and USAFA, they just put more people through OTS. Also, you're operating under the assumption that a one-year temporary reduction can't be made up later. It's not the end of the world.

• 2 weeks later...

Well all of the 200s at my det just got EAs, so apparently it wasn't impacted too much, or they are all just studs...or both. Still, who knows how that will affect next year's EAs

Our det just got a 100% EA acceptance as well. Apparently the cuts did not go through and the original 2200 EAs were given out. 2 years in a row there were supposed to be massive FT cuts that didn't happen, how long will our luck hold out?

Just got a heads up from our cadre that monthly cadet stipends will be lowered by $50 for all year groups starting in the fall. This applies to all contracted cadets, not just the new people who are being awarded scholarships this FY.

AS100 - $250

AS200 - $300

AS300 - $350

AS400 - $450

Also, I heard a rumor that Air Univ wants to drop the original FT slots number from 2200 to 1500 this year. Not sure if its going to happen but apparently thats the amount they're looking at.

Bad times ahead...

The reduction is $50 for GMC and $100 for POC. The cuts will start in October 2013.

• 5 months later...

Just found out today that due to the gov't shutdown all DODMERB-related activities have been suspended until further notice. This includes cadets currently going through the waiver process (like myself) due to the DODMERB staff being mostly civilians. Not sure how this will affect EA selection next spring.

• 3 months later...

Apparently in addition to significant FT cuts HQ AFROTC is altering the EA selection process and possibly adding a new system for rated selections as well. More details tomorrow following a Det CC standup.

So this is what our Det CC told us. He said theres about 90% chance this will happen based on info he received from AFROTC HQ/Air University:

Like Middleton said, for those applying for EAs this year, there will be 3 separate boards consisting of the following: 1. Technical degrees, scholarships, and foreign languages, 2. "rated" EAs, and 3. everything else. The FT numbers aren't out yet but he already said expect at least a few hundred slots cut which we already knew was coming.

According to him rated EAs will work like this: When you go to apply for an EA this year you will be given an option to commit to applying to the rated board in FY15. This means that you will be required to apply for ALL rated positions (you can give your preference but you can't pick and chose which ones, like pilot only for example) and come this time next year your package will automatically be sent to the rated board. Opting to chose this approach will give you a slight boast in the PSP system but not dramatic or anything. The catch is, if you are awarded a EA, go to FT, come back and don't meet the rated board theres about a 95% chance you are out of ROTC altogether. You won't be reclassed to another AFSC like you normally would. He did say they would try and find a non-rated EA lying around but chances are you're done. So its essentially an "all or none" option for those who REALLY want to go rated. He advised us that if we are even the least bit on the fence about going rated we should NOT apply for this, because once you commit you are locked in.

Of course you can still not take the deal and apply for the rated board like you normally would. This system is really for those who don't have the strongest standing for FT and are hoping to become rated someday.

Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

We are just now getting some more information from our CC.

From what he heard, everyone will get preference over non-rated, non-technical. If they are able to fill all of their EAs with "rated" people, then non-rated, non-technical people might not even be considered. He talked to the #1 guy in our class and "suggested" that he opt-in for the rated EA because otherwise, he may not be competitive.

19/21 200s in our det are trying for rated or are on scholarship. The 2 who don't want to go rated are at the bottom (and are non-tech), so they probably don't have very good chances.

It will be interesting to see how this all works out, but I suppose we will find out in about 5 weeks.

I went ahead and signed up for the non-tech rated EA, since my main reason for joining ROTC was to fly and I would've applied for rated slots anyway. I also have an uncompetitive GPA so I need the boost. It remains to be seen how that impacts my application. Our det/cc said yesterday that this is still not 100% guaranteed to happen.

• 2 weeks later...
If you get a Rated EA and you are medically DQed or you do not get selected for rated duty, you will just get assigned a different career field. You will only be disenrolled if you refuse to compete in the rated boards. The only exception to this is if you get selected by a board for certain a career field (ALO, CRO, STO, OSI, etc.), you are not obligated to compete in the rated boards.

We were told almost the same, except if you don't get a rated slot there is a chance you will be disenrolled. The only way you will be able to stay is if there is a nonrated EA available from someone else who dropped out. They did say our chances are decent so its not the end of the world if we don't get a rated slot, its just not out of the question to be disenrolled (even if we do compete for the rated board).

Edited by Justanothercadet