JMO Recruiting/ Post Military Employment

PSYCH

There is relentless discussion on this board about getting out of the military, but I don't hear a whole lot from the guys who got out and are making a buck in the civilian world (outside the airlines or guard/reserve).

With that being said, I have been looking at the headhunter firms and honestly cannot determine which one, if any, is better than the other. From a completely uneducated perspective, I would think that quality of interviews is a fine balance with quantities of looks you get from companies.

Does any one have any experience with Cameron Brooks, Alliance, Bradley Morris that would make you definitively say that one is better than the other?

• Upvote 1

If I can add to that, anybody use these services and feel they got a great job with great pay and benefits? We can read the stories on their sites but would love to hear some of untold/honest opinions out there.

Edited by ChiefSlapahoe

I went through most of the process last year with Cameron Brooks. I filled out all the required paperwork and had my phone interview. The guy told me that I would be "accepted" into their program but wanted me to commit to living anywhere in the US. I am working on my MBA at UT Austin part-time and told him that I had to stay in Texas to finish the degree and that was a no-go for him. If you truly don't care where you will live after the AF it seems like a great option. But for us, one of the main reasons I'm getting out is to stay near family in Texas. The companies that recruit with them seem very good, mostly all Fortune 500. I think the pay is low $90's to start.

Speaking of the GE JOLP, I put my resume on their website a few months back and got a call and email last week from a former USAF EC-130 pilot that works there now and he is looking to hire ASAP for positions in Houston. PM me if you want his name. Amazon is also really good about hiring former military officers and the pay is really good. When I finish my MBA, I'm going to try and break into Private Wealth Management at a top firm like Goldman Sachs or JP Morgan. If that doesn't happen, Amazon and USAA are also high on my list.

If you get on www.linkedin.com you will find there are a ton of former military guys at all the top companies. Most of them are more than willing to help other military guys out.

A good bud of mine took VSP and got out back ~'07 (he says that he misses the camaraderie, but not Big Blue and has never regretted his decision for one second FWIW). He worked with Bradley Morris and even attended a few of their coordinated job fairs. He said he went into the interview process cold (very little prep) and came across as a complete retard (his words not mine). After some prep/practice, he actually ended up getting into one of the railroad management program (not thru Bradley Morris). He told me that if he could do it again, he would probably have taken a pay cut and started out doing taking a position in railroad operations on the line, versus going straight in the management program. He seemed to think that after getting more experience on the line, it would have opened more doors down the road.

• 1 month later...

I know of two folks who have had positive feedback for Bradley Morris. I am just starting the process. Is Clearancejobs.com legit?

FWIW, I am looking at getting out in a little over a year and definitely looking at every placement agency out there.

Edited by Fozzy Bear

I went through the process with Bradley Morris several years ago and had positive results. I drove to one of their job fairs in Atlanta with my only expectation being to get practice interviewing. They set me up with 5 interviews that day and I ended up getting offers from 3 of them. Unfortunately, all of them would have required relocation which would have been a no-go with my ANG unit (and CINC-House) so had to decline the offers.

Overall, I was pleased with their process, communication, and results.

• 2 years later...

For anyone preparing to separate, already separated, or spouses, feel free to check out hireheroesusa.org, or PM me with any questions.

Also, another plug for Deloitte's CORE program...worth a google, and definitely worth your time.

Bump...any recent feedback regarding the use of recruiters? How about the GE or USAA JMO programs?

I haven't seen the JMO program offered on USAA's website for a few months, but wanted to share my experience.

A little about me...I chose to take VSP about this time last year an applied, got accepted, and separated on 31 Dec 2014. I filed my VA disability claim early in Dec 2014 so my claim was decided and finalized in four months (unheard of, but getting better). I only mention this to say that anyone separating should immediately request records from their medical clinic on base, because it takes three months for them to copy them down for you.

I had an immediate job after separation with an investment company and life seemed to be good. I was moving back to my home state and was going to spend the rest of my days in one place. Needless to say, this "great deal" ended up being a big steaming pile and I walked away immediately. Due to legal implications, I will not mention the firm's name, but I recommend everyone read the following website if you are offered an investment position with any of the firms.

http://​http://www.financialindustryscam.com/index.htm

I moved back to my home state with no job, and a family to feed, but we have made it work in a phenomenal manner. I applied to over 30-50 jobs a week on various sites, but never used any of the headhunter firms mentioned above. I also applied to USAA as well, but found they typically only hire from within and will move you up from the bottom. This is not uncommon at every military and Veteran's recruiting fair that I have attended. Most companies are looking for you to start at a beginner's level and a beginners salary. While this is not a bad thing necessarily, I was fortunate to be much more picky when the right job came along. I got a telephone call out of the blue asking if I'd be interested in a GS job out of my home state, and I said yes. Three interviews later, I got the job and will be moving again shortly.

I share my side of this because the unemployment to employment process sucks very badly if you are not prepared. I believe my TAP program was phenomenal at my previous base. I would not have applied for VA compensation if the DAV rep had not been there, and I'm very thankful I did in the end. A few rules I've learned in the process.

1. Never underestimate the power of a referral from a friend. I received two interviews this way that turned into opportunities I eventually turned down for the GS job.

2. If you simply submit a resume and don't follow up afterward, don't expect to get the job.

3. Don't get discouraged if at all possible.

4. Start early finding a job. The USAF will run itself long after you are gone. My last boss tried to tell me not to take any PTDY or terminal leave because I already had something lined up. I took what I'd earned and was allowed to and I don't regret it at all.

5. The job search takes a long time. Although I have to move out of my home state, I am very happy to be given a government position that will allow me to retire in less than ten years if I deem necessary. Also, once you are in, you have a better possibility of transferring to a state of your choosing later on.

6. Get all of the civilian certifications you can while on Active Duty (Six Sigma, PMP, MBA, etc...). It's a very competitive world out there, and certifications can get your foot in the door.

***Bonus - I wrote a letter of recommendation for a close friend to teach English as a second language (ESL) in Japan. He made a little over 30K per year, but loved his experience over there and he had two months off a year. I'd have done that in a heartbeat if I hadn't chosen a family first. Maybe when I retire from government work***

• Upvote 1

LinkedIn. They offer free premium membership for military for at least 12 months.

Do a search for "military recruiter" or even "recruiter" for the location or companies you're interested in. I've gotten 2 jobs (one they reached out to me, one I reached out to them) and a few serious sets of interviews through it. Probably the only useful info I got out of TAP.

I also did the Bradley Morris thing for a while. I thought the resume/interview prep stuff was definitely worth it, as well as seeing where you fall among your peers.

That being said, unless you've got a background in nukes/EE or want a job in sales...I didn't think anything they were offering was that interesting.

While it isn't an employment program, check out American Corporate Partners (http://www.acp-usa.org/) mentorship program. They will match you up with a mentor who can help you one-on-one with resumes, interviews or just making connections in whatever career field you are looking to enter. Most of the mentors are experienced people and high up in their organizations with good contacts.

I haven't used a headhunter. I chose the more conventional path of going back to school for a full time MBA. If you don't want to take that much time off but have an interest in finance, a number of the banks have veteran recruiting or consider veterans a "minority" group and include them in any minorities hiring events. VOW (http://veteransonwallstreet.com/) is another good recruiting resource.