Which UPT base to pick

I'm commissioning in October, but I have yet to update my form 53 after getting selected this February. I'm looking for any advice on which UPT base to put in for, any info is helpful. What are the pros and cons of each base, what are some things to do around the area, and are the UOQs any good? Anything else is appreciated.

Paper, rock, scissors, it doesn't matter. None of them are great, you're there to learn, that's it. You'll find things to do in your limited free time wherever you are. Take the one the AF gives you.

I agree with this completely. As a (successful) student, you haven't got the free time to be worried that much about your off duty hours...you'll mostly be sleeping or studying, and they're all about the same anyway. I've been to all of them and each has its minor pros and cons. If you were going as an IP it might be slightly different, and if nearby family was a consideration, that might be a tiebreaker. Otherwise it won't really make much difference, so take what you get and be happy.

• Upvote 1

It doesn't matter which base you put down on your dreamsheet, they just assign you one randomly. The worker bees at AFPC don't get graded on how well they match up assignments to dreamsheets for first assignments, so they don't even try. Since you can't control this process, don't worry about it. Good luck, memorize the boldface and pattern pages in the IFG and you'll be fine.

If you COULD pick, why don't you pick one based on the flying. I hear Laughlin has 360+ days of flyable weather or some jack like that. Otherwise Vance and Columbus have horrible weather days/weeks in the winter where you can't fly worth a damn. Shepard ain't bad, but only pick it if you are dead set on heavies :) lol

If you COULD pick, why don't you pick one based on the flying. I hear Laughlin has 360+ days of flyable weather or some jack like that. Otherwise Vance and Columbus have horrible weather days/weeks in the winter where you can't fly worth a damn. Shepard ain't bad, but only pick it if you are dead set on heavies :) lol

Doesn't matter. You will graduate on time regardless of where you go.

Don't forget to study, fly, and drink. Also, don't suck.

I would say the exact opposite. Go somewhere where the weather is prone to being shitty. I went through UPT at Laughlin and virtually never flew in the weather. The first time I really flew through the weather was my first ride with a student as a FAIP at Columbus, when I also flew down to mins. Like Wolf said, you're going to graduate on time, even if it means you double turn on the good days and fly on the weekend, so why not go somewhere that has some challenges?

As for the Sheppard comment, you obviously weren't a statistics major.

• Upvote 1

I would say the exact opposite. Go somewhere where the weather is prone to being shitty. I went through UPT at Laughlin and virtually never flew in the weather. The first time I really flew through the weather was my first ride with a student as a FAIP at Columbus, when I also flew down to mins. Like Wolf said, you're going to graduate on time, even if it means you double turn on the good days and fly on the weekend, so why not go somewhere that has some challenges?

As for the Sheppard comment, you obviously weren't a statistics major.

Truth. You are going to have to learn to deal with weather and crosswinds at some point in your career - why not go ugly early? And since everyone in your class is dealing with the same thing, you're not at any disadvantage.

UPT sucks, and it's awesome - no matter where you go.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure no one looks at dream sheets for casual & UPT assignments. Back in the day I had Cannon on mine for casual (I had family there) and I totally counted on going there since no one in their right mind would request that---they then gave me Eglin. Go figure.

I then requested Laughlin, Vance, and Columbus for UPT---they then gave me Moody.

I'm glad it happened the way it did though because casual in an F-15C unit was pretty sweet, as was living by the beach as a 2LT, and flying a brand spanking new trainer. Not to mention it was nice getting 3 weeks off after we finished T-6s so we could move to either DLF or CBM.

Having been to all of them I would list them, Sheppard, Laughlin, Columbus, Vance. Not that your dreamsheet really matters but Wichita Falls is actually a decent town. There is also lots to do nearby; OKC, DFW, Possum Kingdom, etc... You also have Austin and San Antonio for long weekends. It definitely beats Del Rio, Enid and Columbus.

I actually disagree with some of the other posts. You will have plenty of free time on the weekends (not so much during the week), and having quite a few awesome places to blow off (STS) steam was great. Then again, once Friday hit, I didn't study until Sunday night. It seemed like we had quite a few 3 day weekends...maybe it's because those were all the fun times and I have blocked out the rest.

I had a great time at Laughlin. Learned to wind surf, did a road rally, excellent motorcycle riding, great weekend trips with the UPT class to San Antonio and Austin.

If you're personality is conducive to meeting locals, you won't find a nicer group of folks than the people from that part of the State of Texas.

But,... they all have their positives. When you show up, I guarantee you'll be stoked to be there, and really won't care where you are.

I had a great time at Laughlin. Learned to wind surf, did a road rally, excellent motorcycle riding, great weekend trips with the UPT class to San Antonio and Austin. If you're personality is conducive to meeting locals, you won't find a nicer group of folks than the people from that part of the State of Texas. But,... they all have their positives. When you show up, I guarantee you'll be stoked to be there, and really won't care where you are.

Plus...learning to fly in T-28s and T-33s must have been awesome Huggy!

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

No matter where you go if you have a crappy attitude and say "this place sucks" then it will. You make your own fun out of whatever it is and I doubt the location makes any difference. And "2" on all the comments about learning to fly in the wx while everyone is doing the same. It will benefit you in the long run.

Laughlin is Mexico, but the weather is usually nice. The pros and cons of that were already mentioned but for a new guy in the T-6 it makes it a little easier to get landing down when the wind is always down the runway at 10 knots. Also Skillets is the best diner I've ever been to.

Columbus has weather that's the exact opposite of Laughlin, but it's closer to civilization. Think it's only a couple hour drive to get to the beach in Florida.

I've heard Vance is just terrible.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter. You'll spend most of your time with your bros and you can make the most of it wherever you are, or piss and moan and hate your life for a year or two.

Haven't been to any of the other bases, but I have buddies at all of them. Between what I hear from them and the IP's here (Sheppard), it definitely sounds like Wichita Falls is the best city to be in. It's not that small of a town (wikipedia says 100,000 people, though I have a hard time believing it), and DFW is about 2 hours...perfectly doable on the weekends. Enid is pretty tiny, but OKC is only and hour and a half away; my friends at Vance drive down there all the time. Several of my IP's did UPT or a previous IP gig at XL, and they say that just totally blows....absolutely middle of nowhere. Don't really know much about CB.

Edited by Archa3opt3ryx

SPS

CBM

END

DLF

I've been stationed at three of them, but at the same time I'll tell you to not worry about what you get. Just don't be douchebag and have fun with your class. Your location won't matter.

SPS CMB END DLF I've been stationed at three of them, but at the same time I'll tell you to not worry about what you get. Just don't be douchebag and have fun with your class. Your location won't matter.

CBM?

Edited by lazlo