Reduced Oxygen Breathing Device vs the Chamber

Anyone here know if the reduced oxygen breathing device / hypoxia familiarization trainer (ROBD/HFT) is now interchangeable with the chamber as far as currency is concerned?

edit for correct verbage

Edited by contraildash

Answered this myself:

AFI 11-403

3.3.2.3. The ROBD should be used for all refresher aircrew whose aircraft oxygen systems and emergency procedures are not adequately represented in the altitude chamber. Examples include: CV-22, B-2, B-1, F-22A, and the F-35.

3.3.2.4. For all other aircrew, a ROBD is an approved replacement for the altitude chamber during refresher training as long as the appropriate oxygen system configuration is available and the training scenarios are appropriate for their MDS. Trainees will receive ROBD flight pre-brief and post-briefings prior to and following the training system event.

• 1 year later...

Bringing this one back and hoping for some answers.

My last chamber refresher was done in 2009 and will expire on 1 Aug of this year from that. In 2012, I accomplished the ROBD training to fly with the navy (my current assignment at NAS Whiting).

Now, I'm being told I have to re-accomplish ROBD with the AF before I head out to fly the E-11A/Global Express...because the navy ROBD doesn't include important AF information.

Should the navy ROBD count the same as AF ROBD?

Should one even be doing the ROBD for the Global Express?

Bringing this one back and hoping for some answers.

My last chamber refresher was done in 2009 and will expire on 1 Aug of this year from that. In 2012, I accomplished the ROBD training to fly with the navy (my current assignment at NAS Whiting).

Now, I'm being told I have to re-accomplish ROBD with the AF before I head out to fly the E-11A/Global Express...because the navy ROBD doesn't include important AF information.

Should the navy ROBD count the same as AF ROBD?

This should be completely unsurprising to you.

Another example: The AF maintains a full det at NAS Pensacola for water survival.

Lets repeat that: the AIR FORCE maintains it's own det, including personel, equipment, and bo-ats, on a UNITED STATES NAVY installation, for the purpose of running its own WATER SURVIVAL school.

Having gotten to live the perspective of two military branches, I can honestly say that epic AF hubris will never disappoint.

Edited by BFM this

Another example: The AF maintains a full det at NAS Pensacola for water survival.

Lets repeat that: the AIR FORCE maintains it's own det, including personel, equipment, and bo-ats, on a UNITED STATES NAVY installation, for the purpose of running its own WATER SURVIVAL school.

Having gotten to live the perspective of two military branches, I can honestly say that epic AF hubris will never disappoint.

I got to go through Pensacola for API back in the day doing the Helo Dunker, Dilbert Dunker, parasail and the 69 swim tests... then had to go through AF water survival again at Fairchild. After that they made me go through the full up AF Water Survival at Pensacola again three years later because I needed "ejection qual" when I switched airframes. Luckily, to date, I have had no need to eject from my C-17... SMH!

It is, but that makes it no less irritating.

This comes not long after I wasted most of a day down at Hurlburt re-doing several PHA items that were accomplished 3 weeks prior on my annual PHA. :bash:

I'm out here flying the Global right now (you're going to love it, BTW).

You will need a "chamber" card to fly this jet. I'm not sure if this answers your question or not, but what I can tell you is I have not been to a real chamber in over a decade. I got my most recent chamber card with ROBD training at Barksdale.

Edited by flyjetz

I'm out here flying the Global right now (you're going to love it, BTW).

You will need a "chamber" card to fly this jet. I'm not sure if this answers your question or not, but what I can tell you is I have not been to a real chamber in over a decade. I got my most recent chamber card with ROBD training at Barksdale.

Sounds like I need to "fix the glitch". PM inbound.