Classic Thread - Why go Air Force?

Starboard

It seems that Air Force aviation is more competitive than Naval aviation. Is this true?

Why do most people choose to go Air Force? Is it because the have a bigger selection of planes? Or do they just dislike the idea of being stuck in a ship in the middle of the ocean?

Air Force Aviation is much more competitive. Compared to the Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard I would say the Air Force has the best talent coming in the door, but that is just my opinion. This in turn means that the people you are working with and for are generally higher talent individuals.

Then there is the life style...people gripe about the Air Force having some shitty locations. But there are some shitty places to fly airplanes for the NAVY as well. NAS China Lake and NAS Yuma are just 2 that come to mind. Additionally, the Air Force revolves around a flight line. The NAVY mindset revolves around subs, surface warfare, and carriers. So as an aviator your upward potential is somewhat limited from the start, because to the Navy you are no more or less important that SWOs or sub guys. As far as bases most NAVY bases look like they haven't seen any new construction since about 1970, where as most AF bases that we are currently using have torn down and rebuilt the gym 3 times since 1970.

Family life. AF wins hands down. For as shitty as the AF family life can be I have yet to talk to a NAVY family that has it better.

The reason everyone is mocking you in this thread is because you only have to talk to 1 or 2 people with anything between their ears to get all of the answers I just gave you. Which makes the decision of which one you want to sign up for clearly obvious, but as you said in your opening line it sounds like you probably competed for the Air Force and were found lacking so anchors away matey!

• Upvote 2

Did a Southern Watch out of Al Jaber, Kuwait back in the mid 90s. Middle of the desert, summertime, the airfield still a bombed out mess for the most part following the first fracas there, exceptionally bad food, UXOs scattered about, and just a high general suck factor.

There were 6 or 8 Navy F-18s flying out of there with us for a couple weeks and then came the time the Naval Aviators were supposed to go back out to the boat. You would have thought somebody shot their dogs, ran off with their wives, and told them cold beer and strippers were outlawed back home. We are talking serious unhappiness and borderline depression. I think their boat, the Roosevelt, ended up putting into port with a mechanical problem so these guys get another week with us. And they were thrilled to be there which leads me to think the boat must really, really, really suck.

Damn..well thanks for sharing that story.

Air Force Aviation is much more competitive. Compared to the Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard I would say the Air Force has the best talent coming in the door, but that is just my opinion. This in turn means that the people you are working with and for are generally higher talent individuals.

Then there is the life style...people gripe about the Air Force having some shitty locations. But there are some shitty places to fly airplanes for the NAVY as well. NAS China Lake and NAS Yuma are just 2 that come to mind. Additionally, the Air Force revolves around a flight line. The NAVY mindset revolves around subs, surface warfare, and carriers. So as an aviator your upward potential is somewhat limited from the start, because to the Navy you are no more or less important that SWOs or sub guys. As far as bases most NAVY bases look like they haven't seen any new construction since about 1970, where as most AF bases that we are currently using have torn down and rebuilt the gym 3 times since 1970.

Family life. AF wins hands down. For as shitty as the AF family life can be I have yet to talk to a NAVY family that has it better.

The reason everyone is mocking you in this thread is because you only have to talk to 1 or 2 people with anything between their ears to get all of the answers I just gave you. Which makes the decision of which one you want to sign up for clearly obvious, but as you said in your opening line it sounds like you probably competed for the Air Force and were found lacking so anchors away matey!

Thanks for that information. I've talked with my AFROTC det and really would have gone AF. But the I've heard that honestly the AF wants people with my major do be doing Info Warfare and Electronic engineering. Didn't want to take that risk.

Thanks for that information. I've talked with my AFROTC det and really would have gone AF. But the I've heard that honestly the AF wants people with my major do be doing Info Warfare and Electronic engineering. Didn't want to take that risk.

Couple of things to keep in mind.

1. AFROTC is the "easiest" way to get a pilot slot short of the academy.

2. Most people who actually do get aviation slots in the Navy, a large majority will end up in helicopters.

3. More importantly, you need to realize no matter which way you go you are not eliminating the "risk", either way you will be committed before you even know if you'll be flying an aircraft or doing intel or whatever career field you end up in.

4. If you have your heart set on one particular airframe or destination, spare yourself, a lot of that can come down to timing etc and is out of your control.

Its good your trying to get advice/info, but honestly, you seem pretty naive in your comments and perception on how the military actually works.

Back to what this board was intended for: Its because we have the best bands

.A1C_Ryan_Terronez.standalone.prod_affiliate.8-thumb-350x265-37750.jpg

I got a BS in EE through AFROTC and I fly airplanes, I smell a rat

• Upvote 1

Then there is the life style...people gripe about the Air Force having some shitty locations. But there are some shitty places to fly airplanes for the NAVY as well. NAS China Lake and NAS Yuma are just 2 that come to mind.

Ya must suck to be stationed at Coronado or Key West! Let's give the kid some good advice. If you want sweet base, go Coast Guard, you can fly armed helicopters and live in a sweet location.

I got a BS in EE through AFROTC and I fly airplanes, I smell a rat

my understanding talking with people in that are trying to compete for rated boards In ROTC, is that those with EE degrees and a few others are not being released to compete.

Edited by Scaredfuzz21
  • Upvote 1

I know a bunch of fliers who went Navy to Air Force, never heard of one going Air Force to Navy.

We had one from our squadron go to the Navy to fly T-45's.

Compared to the Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard I would say the Air Force has the best talent coming in the door, but that is just my opinion. This in turn means that the people you are working with and for are generally higher talent individuals.

I get the impression you really believe this.

• Upvote 1