Cold "Rushing" a Unit

Hey everyone,

I'm a 2nd year college student (may be graduating early) and an Instrument rated Private Pilot. I'm interested in a career as a pilot in the ANG/AFRES after I graduate and I'm wondering what the best way is to go about visitng a unit that you have no contacts in. The only contact I've made thus far was from shaking hands with an ANG pilot at an airshow, who ended up giving me his business card when I told him I was interested in a career with the Guard. I maintained contact with him and was able to visit that unit and had an excellent experience. I ended up really liking all of the pilots I met and plan on returning during a drill weekend. However the only reason I was able to do all this was because I knew someone on the inside. I also understand how competitive hiring is, so I want to look at a wide range of units. My contact at the ANG unit advised me to do the same with other units I'm interested in, and emphasized that getting to know pilots and "rushing" the unit are very important steps in getting hired.

I've beein looking at units in California, however I'm not really sure how to get the process started. The only contact information I've been able to find from the internet machine are email addresses, which I haven't been able to get a response on. I've gathered a lot of good information from searching these forums on how to act during a visitation, but I haven't been able to find much on how to get the process started. Please forgive me if I missed something and there's already another thread on this.

Thanks for your help!

If I were you I would go on the ANG website, find the number for the recruiter at the unit, and ask them to put you in touch with the Ops Squadron D.O. (Director of Operations). Once you get in touch with him/her, let them know your interest in the unit and if there is a point of contact in the squadron that runs the hiring process that you could get in touch with. Express to that POC & the D.O. that you would really like to come out and see what the squadron is like, and they should set you up from there. Be persistant, you are not a priority - but don't be a nuisance. Someone will take you under their wing.

• Upvote 1

I've learned that e-mail is not very effective with pilots/squadrons, for whatever reason. Maybe because its the lazy way of communicating with people. I've found that anytime I called up a squadron or pilot's cell number that was posted as a point of contact for a hiring board, they've always been extremely helpful. When they answer be sure to let them know who you are and what your intentions are (applying to unit and would like to visit) and they will treat you like a different person from just some random individual who dialed their number. If they don't answer right away and be sure to leave a message - I've always gotten calls back. One time a Col. from a fighter wing called me back and spent a good 20 minutes giving me advice on the process and was very direct and specific in regards to what kind of person they were looking to hire.

The fact that you're still a sophomore in college is a real benefit. Don't be like me and jack around until you're 27 before getting serious about it.

Edited by bb17