FY14 Engineering Rated slots

sxr8914

Hello, just curious as to who all recieved a rated slot that was in Computer or Electrical Engineering. I have been told that only a select percentage of these majors were even allowed to compete, due to the needs of Big Blue. I was not selected (although cadre expected I would be selected) and wanted to see who else was/was not. Also, if anyone knows the averages for these selects, that would be appreciated as well.

If you are in these majors and recieved a slot, please post your stats. If you did not recieve a slot, post yours as well.

-Thanks

No idea about this board, but back in the early 2000's I heard rumblings of something similar--i.e. dudes with engineering degrees not getting rated slots becasue the AF needed them to go be 62's. Never heard anything definitive.

Not sure about this year but from last year, I remember reading something about only the top 25% of CE/EE majors who applied for rated slots getting one. Wouldn't be surprised if it was the same this year.

If it makes you feel any better, my buddy got denied a rated spot because he was CE but then got picked up for RPA about 8 months later.

That's odd. Our det had about 4 Engineers, and all got rated slots. 3 Pilot 1 RPA

Do you know any of their stats? Also, were they computer or electrical? I was told only computer and electrical got pulled and mechanical and others were allowed to compete. If they were computer or electrical, I would like to compare my stats with theirs.

PCSM: 94

PFT: 99

GPA: 3.44

RSS: top 10% of 25 (commander would not tell us exact numbers)

Edited by sxr8914

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, just curious as to who all recieved a rated slot that was in Computer or Electrical Engineering. I have been told that only a select percentage of these majors were even allowed to compete, due to the needs of Big Blue. I was not selected (although cadre expected I would be selected) and wanted to see who else was/was not. Also, if anyone knows the averages for these selects, that would be appreciated as well.

If you are in these majors and recieved a slot, please post your stats. If you did not recieve a slot, post yours as well.

-Thanks

Head over here to check a whole list of stats. http://www.wantscheck.com/PilotSlotResources/PilotSlotStats/tabid/59/Default.aspx

It was stated in the AFROTCI-2011 that Computer / Electrical engineers are welcome to compete but their chances would be reduced due to the "high accession" needs of the Air Force. This is why I'm planning to go Navy or Marines.

Out of curiosity, do you think the AF would take the higher ECE GPA's for engineering and lower ones for other slots such as rated? Or do you think it would be the other way around. It makes more sense to me to do the former. But this would be like penalizing someone for hard work, unless they wanted engineering of course.

It was stated in the AFROTCI-2011 that Computer / Electrical engineers are welcome to compete but their chances would be reduced due to the "high accession" needs of the Air Force. This is why I'm planning to go Navy or Marines.

Out of curiosity, do you think the AF would take the higher ECE GPA's for engineering and lower ones for other slots such as rated? Or do you think it would be the other way around. It makes more sense to me to do the former. But this would be like penalizing someone for hard work, unless they wanted engineering of course.

That was my question as well. I wasnt sure if they took the top percentage or the bottom percentage of Engineering Applicants.

That was my question as well. I wasnt sure if they took the top percentage or the bottom percentage of Engineering Applicants.

When I looked through that stats page a while back. I noticed that most of the ECE and even CS majors had 3.0 and above. And nearly all of them had a PCSM over 90. Meanwhile there are also guys in non-tech majors with lower GPAs and PCSM that claim to have gotten winged. So not sure if these mean anything.

Also, note that a lot of the ECE / CS guys went through the guard

• 3 weeks later...

So its definitely the top 25%, but not sure what the averages were, or what the bottom numbers were. Does anyone have any class mates that got a slot with engineering degrees that would like to post some numbers?

So its definitely the top 25%, but not sure what the averages were, or what the bottom numbers were. Does anyone have any class mates that got a slot with engineering degrees that would like to post some numbers?

I don't have exact number but a girl I know got an AFROTC pilot slot as a Computer Engineer. She was the wing commander or something like that. Not sure about her gpa / pcsm

-Thanks

Are you still going to pursue being in a rated position down the road?

Edited by Starboard

Are you still going to pursue being in a rated position down the road?

Yes I am still going to pursue a rated position. I was just trying to see how close I actually was, or if numbers got entered incorrectly. We had an incident with a cadet that his PCSM was calculated wrong a while back, and I thought that it could be possible in this case as well.

I just found it odd that all my numbers were above the pilot select average, but still didn't get it.

Yes I am still going to pursue a rated position. I was just trying to see how close I actually was, or if numbers got entered incorrectly. We had an incident with a cadet that his PCSM was calculated wrong a while back, and I thought that it could be possible in this case as well.

I just found it odd that all my numbers were above the pilot select average, but still didn't get it.

Dang. I suppose they just need ECE guys right now. Are you going for developmental engineer then (Or forced into it)?I heard there is a board that meets and allots a certain number of rated slots to current active duty officers. But at the same time I heard it's hard to switch from position to position. I'm sure you will have lots more info on this. Don't forget about the Army, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard if you are having a difficult time switching within the AF. Right now the Navy has rolling OCS board for pilot / NFO because they them really bad. So there may always be another branch that has high demand / priority for "rated" positions if the AF doesn't.

• 1 month later...

I was a 62E in the 09 year group and got an RPA slot from the 2nd rated board in 2011. A 61A from my last unit just started RPA training. I worked with 62E's from 08 and 09 who wanted to fly. 08 went to UPT and fly’s the F-15E and the 09 palace chased to the SD guard to fly F-16's. It's not difficult at the moment to get into the rated world if you start off as an ECE. As long as you do good work and don’t piss off your commander you can do it.

And if you're interested in RPA's there are guys starting training now who were in other career fields for less than a year before applying.