Inside Combat Rescue

slackline

The NatGeo crew did a good job of telling this story, and an even better job at staying out of the sensitive turf battles that took place during that period of time. In some episodes you can hear dialogue about which missions are "inside the box", I give a lot of credit to the camera crews not trying to turn that into an issue.

My only gripe is that NatGeo only bought 6 episodes, it seems rare to see meaningful TV programming lately.

I shouldn't have watched last night's episode. It was good, but definitely brought back bad memories. It is tough to watch, but I love that this show attempted to displayed the tragedy and insanity of war. 99.9% of Americans don't understand what is going on to the men and women serving over there. Picking up the dead and dying day after day can do incredible things to your sense of normalcy. It is surprising how normal a GSW can seem on a daily basis.

I still remember my first missions over there and just thinking...this is insane. We go out and see the worst of the worst...when we get back to the TOC, dudes (officers and enlisted) just go back to playing X-BOX or whatever they were doing. I always encouraged my crew to check up on our really bad patients when we got off shift. It wasn't for everyone, but it made me feel better.

It is hard to describe what war really looks like...and granted, we are only there to pick up the wounded. We are rarely in the actual fight that caused the injuries, but it is still impossible to describe. The look of desperation, fear and chaos seeing the injured carrying the dead to the helicopter is impossible to really describe.

I don't give a ###### who does more missions, who's balls are bigger...I am just glad that someone is there to be there for the men and women on the ground. Cheers to Tricky, Dustoff and Pedros alike. :jd:

Edited by SCRIMP
  • Upvote 9

Really an incredible series, definitely opened my eyes. Utmost respect and pride for the Pedros. That last episode was tough, when they were folding my flags...I knew the ending would involve an American casualty. I can't even imagine what that's like to go through in real life and see. I would be so lucky/honored to even have that opportunity to fly the wounded to help and bring others home. I overhear a lot of APTs at my base wanting to fly helos now...I know I am humbled about that now, I hope some of my peers are too.

Dear Producers of Inside Combat Rescue,

Suggestions for next time if you decide to do it.

1. Stop reliving the previous 3 minutes after each commercial break. You never see this tactic in a normal TV show. We are educated enough to remember the last 5 minutes of our lives.

2. Shitcan the voice over, its not needed. If people need an explanation of a term or item, ask the experts doing the job to explain it.

3. Be careful of creating unnecessary drama.

Lastly, thanks.

Also, we don't need "the golden hour" explained in such detail in every episode.

But I will disagree with the voice over, I think it is needed for the general public to better understand what's going on. Remember that 99.69% of them have never been in such an environment.

And I think they've done a pretty good job of not inserting any artificial drama; but they do tend to overly focus on the drama that already exists. Given that this is a "reality TV show" though, it is nominal compared to most.

Round 2 is being filmed this summer.

I read that Pedro had closed the doors in the location they filmed. That leaves only two locations. I know one is Pedro only( no Dustoff).

I think you have to insert the drama with the general public. Having flown over 250 mission in the east, I can only think of about 10 that were seat cushions sucking worthy. Not sure what type of ICS the G model has, but in the our HH-60 we have private so you can't hear what the guys in the back are doing. When things were really going south our guys would just tell we need to get home fast.

I think you have to insert the drama with the general public.

Unfortunate, but true.

I can only think of about 10 that were seat cushions sucking worthy.

Same for us, and if the NatGeo dudes don't "luck" into getting to see one, it makes the previous comment standout even more.

Not sure what type of ICS the G model has, but in the our HH-60 we have private so you can't hear what the guys in the back are doing.

It's the same, they'll tell us what's going on but we don't listen to everything they're saying. If the patient is on 2, my CRO in lead will relay what's pertinent through his inter-team freq.

That's really what's missing from this series. They make it out to be the PJ team making all the calls, when it's actually a much more team environment. Ultimately the flight lead makes the call and is responsible, but I won't question if anyone makes an immediate directive call. We call it taking Tac Lead, and it's discussed at length before we ever launch so everyone is on the same page about when it's appropriate and when it's required so there is no need for a lengthy discussion in flight.

Does anyone know any information on the folks that staff the field hospitals that Pedro (or any other unit for that matter) brings folks to. It seems like the PJs and the hospital folks would have to have a pretty good relationship. Furthermore where do all these docs come from? Are they contracted out by the US from current docs that have their own practices, or are the vast majority of them internal doctors that the military hires?

The hospitals are staffed with US and NATO military docs. Some active some reserve. The relationship will very from FOB to FOB. If the hospital is located on the same FOB and close to the unit, the relationship is usually pretty strong. The Army medevac at Bagram is located within a sand wedge of the hospital so our medics had a great relationship with the Docs and nurses. When Pedro would come into our ramp , they'd drop off the patient and usually be back out to the aircraft within ten minutes. Then they repo to the other side of the airfield.

they're sprinkled on youtube...NatGeo tries to shut them down as soon as they find them, so any link I post now probably won't work a week from now.

I was there when MX acquired the white bus from DRMO and started decorating it (2009). My favorite mod was the minigun exhaust pipe.