C-130H Total Force Integration

noumenon

Had a pretty in-depth CC Call this morning to discus the future of the legacy fleet. Most of this has already been mentioned earlier in this thread, but I figured I'd consolidate what I heard from a credible source here. This is what I heard is current as of today (and could get thrown out the window tomorrow):

- 52nd (Peterson) & 30th (Cheyenne) TFIs will be left alone, but do not increase.

- 537th? (Alaska) & 53rd (LRAFB) will close.

- There will be one combat-coded TFI (62nd?) at Little Rock.

- Pope & Yokota will transition to the J within the next couple years.

- The J model pipeline can't even begin to handle the 4 squadron's worth of legacy personnel that will shortly be out of work. Legacy guys should not expect to transition to Js.

- Guys on their first assignment can expect to crossflow to AFSOC, go to a white jet, or an RPA.

- Guys on their second assignment can expect an AMLO gig (possibly flying), a white jet, or an RPA; outside shot at PHOENIX program, OSA, etc.

- Third assignment guys can expect an AMLO assignment (non-flying) or staff, with little chance to return to the cockpit unless identified for a CC or DO billet.

- Although many H3s are being freed up and dispersed into AFRC & ANG, don't expect new TFIs (other than the one at LRAFB) to stand up in the next 1-2 years.

We didn't discuss what guys currently in the training pipeline will do.

My personal opinion: I fully expect lots of shitty deals for guys currently in the legacy community.

I hadn't heard Yokota will get Js that soon...interesting.

"A couple of years" is relative...the 61st won't see their first J till late in FY13, unless it slid further to FY14. With the ACC/AFSOC J-model build-up its been taking AMC J-model squadrons 2ish years to acquire all their PAA airframes. I wouldn't expect Yokota to get a J until FY16 at the earliest, given that DoD has a huge target on its budget right now.

The 50th will more than likely be the LRF TFI unit. I've heard distant rumors that the 314th may gain a second J-model FTU squadron in the future, but who knows. They can barely handle the PFT from the current level of AMC/AFSOC/ACC/International students.

I wouldn't expect Yokota to get a J until FY16 at the earliest, given that DoD has a huge target on its budget right now.

Now that I think about it that's probably what we got briefed. I think the message though was that if you have a year or more left on station now, the chances of getting a PCS there while they spin up to Js is pretty slim. Maybe a viable option for guys going there in the next year or two though.

Had a pretty in-depth CC Call this morning to discus the future of the legacy fleet.

Little known fact: ACC still owns legacy Herks that won't be transitioning to Js.

Probably means Backup Aircraft Inventory. BAI are aircraft in addition to the primary (funded) aircraft. In theory, backup aircraft inventory allow for DLM/UDLM, modifications, etc without reducing the number of aircraft available for the mission. If a sqdn has 14 primary and one backup; crew ratios, flying hours, etc are based on 14 aircraft. But the backup is flown just like a primary aircraft, all transparent to the crew dogs.