C-130H Total Force Integration

noumenon

As always, luck and timing are everything. Wonder if I can hang on long enough to get close enough to my Adsc to be able to palace chase. Any new rumors on how much Adsc big blue might be willing to waive? We keep hearing "liberal palace chase policies" but no one has any idea what that means.

I'm not sure what it means either. I think it's another classic example of the RegAF saying one thing to appear as if they make sense but doing something else.

I've heard from dudes with 2-3 years left (well within the normal PC window of 2/3s of commitment done) asking about PC being told that they won't be supported unless they are within a year of their ADSC...that's not exactly "liberal". Then I hear from O-5/O-6 types that they are willing to waive PC requirements...and then it keeps going in a circular fashion as dudes again ask to apply and are told "within a year"...

As for when MT and CT get their tails, the slide I'm looking at now from AMC says 2 go to MT and 3 arrive in CT in 1Q14. By the end of FY14, CT will have 8 and MT will have 9. Both the Super Es are slated for MT...at least it's not hot up there...

As for when MT and CT get their tails, the slide I'm looking at now from AMC says 2 go to MT and 3 arrive in CT in 1Q14. By the end of FY14, CT will have 8 and MT will have 9. Both the Super Es are slated for MT...at least it's not hot up there...

Apparently the environmental assessment is still pending for the Great Falls airport, which is why they are unsure of the timing for their deliveries. There may or may not be a delay, they just don't know.

Both the Super Es are slated for MT...at least it's not hot up there...

Could be worse, at least they'll still have airplanes...for now.

Apparently the environmental assessment is still pending for the Great Falls airport, which is why they are unsure of the timing for their deliveries. There may or may not be a delay, they just don't know.

If they don't pass the assessment, could they pull the plug on getting the aircraft?

I highly doubt they'll fail the assessment. The -130's are quieter than the F-15's and nobody seems to care about them, plus there is broad public and political support for the ANG in Great Falls.

Gotya, just wasn't sure if the lack of facilities to support the Herk was taken into account. Glad to see they are keeping a flying mission.

I talked at length to a MT ANG Mx guy this last weekend, and apparently there is an influx of money coming along with the mission change that will buy new facilities like hangar space to house C-130s, additions to their ops building, etc. Supposedly there should be an aircraft or two arriving from LRF soon to help orient personnel, but most people should be at the schoolhouse this fall and winter and hopefully there will be enough back and aircraft on hand to start some flying in the late winter/spring timeframe.

It's gonna be a ghost town around the airport for awhile. We have some of the transition schedules up in the tower and it's been a bit of a kick in the balls. The slowdown in flying from the F-15s (used to push twice a day, now just one go) has affected our training a fair bit since it was one of the few things we could reliably plan for.

As for the Super Es...field elevation at GTF is 3680, and I've seen it as high as I think 97 this summer. Launched an MD-88 today and watched him eat easily 9000 to 9500 ft of a 10,502 ft long runway...so temperature and weight can be an issue. Is the heat comment an air conditioning thing, or an aircraft performance thing?

"Super E" is a misnomer...those aircraft are technically straight-H models (as opposed to the H1, H2, etc). The very early H-models were E-models with the T56-A-15 engines. They still had the small flight deck a/c system, the GTC vs an APU, etc. The H1s introduced the APU and the more capable flight deck air conditioning.

Aside from not cooling the flight deck well in the summer, the do fly faster than the other H variants because of the lesser drag from the lack of the larger air scoop on the right side. A normal H1-H3 will true out at 300-305 or so but the Hs will get up to 315ish.

• Upvote 2

"Super E" is a misnomer...those aircraft are technically straight-H models (as opposed to the H1, H2, etc). The very early H-models were E-models with the T56-A-15 engines. They still had the small flight deck a/c system, the GTC vs an APU, etc. The H1s introduced the APU and the more capable flight deck air conditioning.

Aside from not cooling the flight deck well in the summer, the do fly faster than the other H variants because of the lesser drag from the lack of the larger air scoop on the right side. A normal H1-H3 will true out at 300-305 or so but the Hs will get up to 315ish.

The-more-you-know.png

:beer: :beer: :beer:

• Upvote 1

Anymore info on the IPUG/school house? I imagine they are very backed up from taking over the entire legacy training mission. Another guy and I have been waiting on class dates for 4 months now. Trying to find out what the hold up is, guard bureau, or just a logjam of students.

The schoolhouse isn't backed up, and the Guard hasn't taken over yet...it's still being done by the RegAF and AFRC. ANG starts running the show 1 October.

The wait for class dates has more to do with three units (MT, CT and OH) having to suddenly push a bunch of dudes through a program with a finite number of slots.

• 1 month later...