C-130H Total Force Integration

noumenon

I was to stay at LR. Have you heard of different options for 38 dudes fresh out of UPT?

As Spinner noted, those four options are the ones most often cited. If I were you, if they give you a choice go AFSOC or white jets. The MC-12 has a questionable future IMHO. Right now it's getting funding because of what it's doing in Afghanistan, but when the strategic focus shifts more to conventional threats like China (and it likely will at some point) the MC-12 will probably be dispersed to the ARC due to its niche mission....then you'll wind up being homeless all over again. The last round of iron swaps and cuts saw DoD try to put the MC-12 mission more with ARC units, and over time it will probably get its way. At that point, you'll be an ISR pilot ready-made for one of those UAS slots. Just my .02 cents.

White jets, you're looking at doing the FAIP thing or maybe even OSA. I flew the C-21 a while back and that mission is a blast, but again, you're opening yourself to having AFPC decide your fate again after a UPT/OSA tour. At least if you found a real MWS in AFSOC you'd be (relatively) safe. Plus assuming since you were a T-38 grad you originally wanted to wind up in the CAF, getting an AC-130 of some flavor or even an MC-130 puts you back in the fight.

Then again, you might not have any say. In that case, good luck.

Umteen million ESPs for low pitch stops, takes forever to get off the LRF zone, loves to call themselves the "Super Hercules" when calling on common upon entering the SR route, can't do a no-flap for training, tells you that you oversped anything by 1 knot, minus 2 thinking brains in the front end, and still let a lowly E model beat all of them at the last Rodeo.

B. As for the ALZ issue, dunno about that one. Operator issues, I guess. I clear the ALZ just as fast in a J as I do in the E or H.

The 48th has J studs doing assault zone landings from the left seat on their school house dollar rides. This includes bros straight out of UPT with no Legacy/ALZ/NVG experience other than what they picked up in the sim.

As you can imagine, this leads to some nervous tiller-less right seat IPs when it comes to energy management vs brake heating vs steering and I'm sure is the cause of the oh-so-many LZ go arounds at LRF.

There's my off-topic $0.02!

Break, Break...

Back on topic: Had a bro with no skeletons (just bad timing/luck) who is a young AD legacy FP at LRF who was called in and told he drew the short straw for his name to be submitted as a non-vol to RPAs. He was given a list of available openings to fill out on the spot with school house start dates ranging from Mar-Sep. Next day, he was told he dodged the bullet because someone else volunteered for the opening. FWIW

Edited by killacam

Words...Excuses........Bla bla bla

There's my off-topic $0.02!

Just bustin' balls.

Break, Break...

Back on topic: Had a bro with no skeletons (just bad timing/luck) who is a young AD legacy FP at LRF who was called in and told he drew the short straw for his name to be submitted as a non-vol to RPAs. He was given a list of available openings to fill out on the spot with school house start dates ranging from Mar-Sep. Next day, he was told he dodged the bullet because someone else volunteered for the opening. FWIW

Typical. He "drew the short straw" is more like the CC chose him. Most often, Ops Gps get handed these "opportunities" and they "spead the wealth" to the squadrons, using some ancient recipe (common sense is not one of them) for which unit is left with the hot potato. The SQ/CC then picks someone. Objective, not really. Subjective, you betcha. Call it bad luck if you want.

Out

Edited by disgruntledemployee

Left work before crap hit the fan:

Effective immediately from AMC/A3:

All jaatt's cnx'd

No more ske or pro

Confirmed. Saw the memo from AMC, unless it's directly supporting Army Airborne school, all JA/ATTs are canx. Also, pro work in the airplane is denied and any SKE (IMC formation). Essentially, anything that wasn't vis tactical is no longer flyable in the jet. On the flip side, wing doesn't have the sim hours/sim availability to support the higher sim demand, so you do the math...

I can't wait for all the currency waivers to float up to AMC, etc, especially on June 30th. I wonder what they'll say. I wonder how much risk they'll take. Lastly, I wonder what will happen to the first crew/pilot that dents up a plane, was waived, and points to proficiency as the issue?

I've seen memos in my outlook from SECDEF, CSAF, etc. all saying the same thing (be tough, we'll get through this), but not addressing the negative effects that will come of this.

The military doesn't always run out of money, but when it does, it stops flying. Flying, good luck staying proficient my friends.

Out

I can't wait for all the currency waivers to float up to AMC, etc, especially on June 30th. I wonder what they'll say. I wonder how much risk they'll take. Lastly, I wonder what will happen to the first crew/pilot that dents up a plane, was waived, and points to proficiency as the issue? I've seen memos in my outlook from SECDEF, CSAF, etc. all saying the same thing (be tough, we'll get through this), but not addressing the negative effects that will come of this. The military doesn't always run out of money, but when it does, it stops flying. Flying, good luck staying proficient my friends. Out

We'll be lucky if the plane(s) is just dented. I've seen firsthand the results of guys trying to tactically employ the aircraft with absolutely no proficiency or experience. It ends with crashed aircraft and dead friends. Hopefully Congress unf*cks this before things get to that point.

No more dedicated pro I would imagine. Fly a tac route & pick up your pro counters at the end of the sortie. I try with all my might never to get stuck on a dedicated pro sortie.

We do this most of the time at Yokota anyways. And when we do have a dedicated pro line it usually consists of 6 copilots, 4 ACs or some similar combination playing musical chairs in the pattern. (All of this pre sequestration.)

What's the impact of no more SKE?

No more pretending like I'm flying an ILS for an hour.

But seriously...if you aren't beans complete on your SKE events by your 2nd flight in the semi-annual, you're doing it wrong.

...and don't start with the "proficient vs qualified" argument. A no-shit combat SKE formation is about as probable as Rainman endorsing the F-35 as a replacement for the A-10.

• Upvote 1

...and don't start with the "proficient vs qualified" argument. A no-shit combat SKE formation is about as probable as Rainman endorsing the F-35 as a replacement for the A-10.

Agreed. SKE is a perfect example of wasteful spending: a skill set that should have been maintained by a small cadre who could spin up the rest in the highly improbable circumstance it was called on for employment. Instead we've spent decades downgrading copilots for getting blown wide on turns over 90, and putting thousands of hours on birds & people who needed a rest.

Its unfortunate that we're making stupid cuts in addition to smart cuts now because we failed to make smart cuts early on. More unfortunate still that the WG/CC's who specifically forced us to maintain SKE currencies (when we asked for this item to be suspended) at the height of OIF when dudes were gone 8-10 months a year will never be held accountable for the massive waste and current consequences.

• Upvote 1

From what I heard they're older H2s than the ones they lost pre-C27J. The CT ANG is also expecting Herks I believe.

That is correct. They are shutting down the Guard squadron at Niagara Falls, and due to the drop in PAA because of that closure, the -130's will be transferred to Bradley. I heard this directly from the NGB/A8 (I believe that's the code) guy, a full bird who was visiting us down in McMurdo this season.