C-130H Total Force Integration

noumenon

The J model PFT...backed up through 2014. Two squadrons at schoolhouse would need twice the civilian manning as well? SIMs running 24/7? How likely is a second J FTU?

The J/H dick measuring is boring. J is bright/shiny and plenty of perks... Legacy has some sweet locations. It's ok to be Jay, many of my friends are Jay, its the future of tac airlift, everybody is gonna have at least one Jay experience at some point growing up in tac airlift. The legacy dudes just have to accept it.

Believe me, after 7 Yokota guys got UAVs for their second assignments in the past year, I would be thrilled with a J assignment.

Edited by dream big
  • Upvote 1

I've heard the Dobbins J conversion isn't still happening. The 815th J's are going to Pope instead

But we will see what ends up happening.

As far as I know the Js to Dobbins were part of the defense budget cuts proposed early last year that ultimately were stalled after significant opposition.

Edited by Hercules

http://www.dobbins.afrc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123288744 . The Js to pope is new info, thanks, this article is outdated. Niagara still getting H3s?

Reference C-27s, had heard rumors that these were no longer canned as late as last week, definitely rumor but wondering if some state out there just had to have em.

All co-pilots currently in FTU stationed at little rock going elsewhere? We are still running them through FTU...im sure they are highly motivated to learn, welcome to the REAL air force.

Heard that all of the changes at the rock will take place by end of FY2014.

Question from an outsider: do all H model guys, including gunships, go through the same FTU?

Short answer; yes

Longer answer - AFSOC/ACC guys go through an abbreviated FTU which doesnt include SKE (along with other minor differences) and then some go on to additional training either at their assigned unit (HC/EC) or elsewhere (AC/MC).

Short answer; yes

Longer answer - AFSOC/ACC guys go through an abbreviated FTU which doesnt include SKE (along with other minor differences) and then some go on to additional training either at their assigned unit (HC/EC) or elsewhere (AC/MC).

Minor correction, the HC and MC guys go to Kirtland for the additional training (I am in the legacy HC program now). All HC's and the J and H model MC's do academics, sims and flying at Kirtland, the P model MC's just do academics and sim at Kirtland and then go to their units. AC's go to their assigned unit, everything else is correct.

Everyone can relax now, we have a Senator visiting LRAFB. Things are looking wonderful, I'm optomistic.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2013/feb/19/boozman-tour-little-rock-air-force-base/

"The visit comes as Fort Smith officials are working to plan for a future that includes a major change to its Air Force base, which is losing it’s A-10 jet mission. Instead, the Air Force will fly drone aircraft from the base.

Changes in store in Jacksonville don’t appear to be as stark, but Boozman says he’ll discuss a reconfiguration of the mission."

Out

I have to say, the writing for this has been on the wall. At Yokota, we have been nearly 200% manned on pilots in the last 2 years (Thanks Dyess!). The correction involved numerous assignment curtailments...none of which went to a another legacy herk. Outside of a couple guys going AFSOC, I don't know of another pilot from Yokota going to a non-J herk assignment in the last year +. What we have seen is 7 or 8 UAVs, 4 or 5 MC-12s, numerous white jets, and still we have guys flying their 0.3 for a T/O/A/L once a month to stay current.

I hope none of you think Yokota is going to be a bastion of hope with the other units closing.

Any slick pilots, navs, and loads at LRF looking to stay in the herk, then transition to J-mods at a later date, can make your AFPC fam aware that you are a volunteer for Rescue. We are trying to swing some extra pft to mission qual guys at kirtland, go to Moody in legacy, then convert to HC-130J as slots are available. Nav position is retained on J. Options after Moody are DM or Kirtland schoolhouse. Community is under-manned and over-deployed, but mission rocks and beats a lot of other gigs. Slick cross flows have traditionally done well and upgraded ahead of peers (had several from RMS and DYS past years). Not sure yet numbers we can get, so put name in early if interested.

• Upvote 1

What happpens to the 815AS UPT guys? I was picked up in the December board...

You will be taken care of, dude. If the 815th closes, you will become a Hurricane Hunter and still fly the J at Keesler. And no, there is no chance of getting plucked out to fly RPAs instead. The 403WG under AFRC "owns" you, and as of right now, AFRC is not randomly reassigning people to other units (would kind of go against the whole Reserve/Guard join a unit in your hometown thing).

Any slick pilots, navs, and loads at LRF looking to stay in the herk, then transition to J-mods at a later date, can make your AFPC fam aware that you are a volunteer for Rescue. We are trying to swing some extra pft to mission qual guys at kirtland, go to Moody in legacy, then convert to HC-130J as slots are available. Nav position is retained on J. Options after Moody are DM or Kirtland schoolhouse. Community is under-manned and over-deployed, but mission rocks and beats a lot of other gigs. Slick cross flows have traditionally done well and upgraded ahead of peers (had several from RMS and DYS past years). Not sure yet numbers we can get, so put name in early if interested.

Perhaps you should recommend your boss call AFPC and let it be known you'd like a few folks.

For those that haven't thought of the HC, I looked at it when I went Herk and put it as number one, but no slots were available at the time (ECs closing down and lots of peeps to absorb). I'd definitely take a look at it.

Out

You will be taken care of, dude. If the 815th closes, you will become a Hurricane Hunter and still fly the J at Keesler. And no, there is no chance of getting plucked out to fly RPAs instead. The 403WG under AFRC "owns" you, and as of right now, AFRC is not randomly reassigning people to other units (would kind of go against the whole Reserve/Guard join a unit in your hometown thing).

Thanks, that's what I was wondering.

What would you tell a recent AD UPT graduate headed to the 714th to fly the slick in less than a month, advice wise? Options or just hold on tight?

All in all, it depends on where you were headed. If you had orders for Yokota or one of the current TFI units (Peterson, WY or Pope) you'll probably continue. If you were going to a LRF H-model unit, you may get sent to another airframe. If Little Rock was your final destination, then prepare for a change of plans. That does not mean you will get a change of assignments, but as the 53rd closes, the 61st goes J and the 50th transitions to a smaller footprint (no one is entirely sure what it will look like just yet), there's plenty of uncertainty for LRF-bound legacy pilots.

I was to stay at LR. Have you heard of different options for 38 dudes fresh out of UPT?

Yes: AFSOC, MC-12, UAVs, or white jets.

It doesn't matter if you were T-1s or T-38s, you might have to move on to one of the choices above. AFPC is doing what they can with this shit-sandwich, and not everyone can get what they want.

Does anybody have any insight as to when the working group will release its recommended plan? Seems like AFPC has an idea of what it'll look like already. I know of a recent Nav AD assignee to Pope who a couple weeks later got assigned elsewhere. Seems to forshaddow the arrival of J's.

Does anybody have any insight as to when the working group will release its recommended plan? Seems like AFPC has an idea of what it'll look like already. I know of a recent Nav AD assignee to Pope who a couple weeks later got assigned elsewhere. Seems to forshaddow the arrival of J's.

Rumor is that it's being held up until the Hagel nomination is complete.