C-130H Total Force Integration

noumenon

The AF News articles describes the retained aircraft as backup aircraft. This may be a stupid question. But, what exactly does "backup" mean?

Doc said it right above. You notice this most at the UPT bases with the T-38s. A normal UPT base will have a PAI (Primary Aircraft Inventory) of 45 T-38s while they have 96 total sitting on the ramp. Most of the rest are kept in BAI. This allows aircraft to go through phase and what not at high flying hour/sortie count bases without an interruption in training.

"Finally, in addition to the aircraft allocated to units affected by president's 2013 budget, the Air Force also added aircraft to enhance mission effectiveness. The following aircraft will also be back-up aircraft:

- Two aircraft to 22nd Air Force Det. 1, Little Rock AFB

- One aircraft to 19th Airlift Wing, Little Rock AFB

- One aircraft to 152nd Airlift Wing, Reno, Nev.

- One aircraft to 165th Airlift Wing, Savannah, Ga.

- One aircraft to 166th Airlift Wing, New Castle, Del.

- One aircraft to 182nd Airlift Wing, Peoria, Ill.

- Two aircraft to 189th Airlift Wing, Little Rock AFB

- One aircraft to 302nd Airlift Wing, Colorado Springs, Colo. "

So where are these 10 tails coming from?

Edited by TacAirCoug

"Finally, in addition to the aircraft allocated to units affected by president's 2013 budget, the Air Force also added aircraft to enhance mission effectiveness. The following aircraft will also be back-up aircraft:

- Two aircraft to 22nd Air Force Det. 1, Little Rock AFB

- One aircraft to 19th Airlift Wing, Little Rock AFB

- One aircraft to 152nd Airlift Wing, Reno, Nev.

- One aircraft to 165th Airlift Wing, Savannah, Ga.

- One aircraft to 166th Airlift Wing, New Castle, Del.

- One aircraft to 182nd Airlift Wing, Peoria, Ill.

- Two aircraft to 189th Airlift Wing, Little Rock AFB

- One aircraft to 302nd Airlift Wing, Colorado Springs, Colo. "

So where are these 10 tails coming from?

Most likely part of a large reshuffling. H1s and H3s from LR need to go somewhere. Det 1 and 189th will likely get H2s as that is what they have. 302 and 182 fly H3s so that is probably what they will get. That working group that the AF Times article referred to probably pulled out the ol map of US of A and played shuffle-the-Herk until they were happy with the Picasso. In the end, the ANG and AFRC got to keep a bunch of planes and the associated units, so its an overall win for them. Active side cuts the rope and starts divesting itself of H active units, except for the few TFI units (for now). 189th will start taking over the H schoolhouse and AD will augment. Cats and dogs started sleeping with each other.

Anybody heard anything new based off this announcement on what they're going to do with the current legacy and in/soon-to-be training studs?

My guess: If you are LR, tough to say. If you are in training, there is a chance of being redirected (I'm not a decision-maker and I don't know any numbers). Those close to grad are completing initial and moving to their units. There is still a war on and someone still needs to deploy and there are not enough J's to clean out AFG. The LR reductions will likely be effective in 18 months. One thing I will say is that if you are in the pipeline, those that suck the least may be better at surviving any potential cuts (redirected). That is the only thing you have control over. And that has always been true regardless of the times. So no, nothing has changed.

Out

Most likely part of a large reshuffling. H1s and H3s from LR need to go somewhere. Det 1 and 189th will likely get H2s as that is what they have. 302 and 182 fly H3s so that is probably what they will get. That working group that the AF Times article referred to probably pulled out the ol map of US of A and played shuffle-the-Herk until they were happy with the Picasso. In the end, the ANG and AFRC got to keep a bunch of planes and the associated units, so its an overall win for them. Active side cuts the rope and starts divesting itself of H active units, except for the few TFI units (for now). 189th will start taking over the H schoolhouse and AD will augment. Cats and dogs started sleeping with each other.

I'm well aware of all of that, my point was that some unit or combination of units is/are still losing 10 airplanes in the redistribution. Who drew the short straw(s)?

I'm well aware of all of that, my point was that some unit or combination of units is/are still losing 10 airplanes in the redistribution. Who drew the short straw(s)?

While I haven't seen a piece of paper that lists the overall changes, AD drew the short straw. LR gives up all its active duty H1s and H3s. That is more than 10, but in the larger reshuffle, the net result is no AD Hs at LR, only AD Js and ANG/AFRC H2s. I hear Pope will go Js so there is your likely source of H2s. Perhaps there were some planned retirements that are now delayed in those numbers.

Lastly, if you are interested in a particular unit, just ask them as they may know more. I'm just CSI-ing this from some news stories, rumors, CC calls, and what was passed last year.

PS, if you are in a unit likely affected by this and not hearing anything, that's fucked up.

Out

Any idea what this might mean for the ANG/AFRC H model work load?

What kind of work load? I did hear that many units cut their flying hours.

Heard from our CC during a commander's call the other day that due to the reshuffling of the H, those expecting/trying to go J shouldn't hold their breath on getting a J slot. They are going to be few and far between (unless you are a fairly new guy already in the 61st or possible the 2nd) Expect a lot of white jets/UAVs/MC-12s/a few spec ops for assignments the next couple years.

Heard from our CC during a commander's call the other day that due to the reshuffling of the H, those expecting/trying to go J shouldn't hold their breath on getting a J slot. They are going to be few and far between (unless you are a fairly new guy already in the 61st or possible the 2nd) Expect a lot of white jets/UAVs/MC-12s/a few spec ops for assignments the next couple years.

Well...sh*t. Thanks for the memo. So much for wanting to grow in the 130 community.

Is this a complete list of bases affected? An old coworker told me the 103rd at Gramby is losing their C-21s and getting 130s.

Yes, the 103rd along with the 179th at Mansfield are getting H2s. Two of the 6 C-27J bases are keeping a tac airlift mission. Meridian is going back to the 135, the 135th AS MDANG is deactivating, the NDAK ANG is still up in the air along with Battle Creek and Great Falls.

Eventually the IP course will be sim-only, like the C-130J. It'll take a couple years to wind up at that end state. Meanwhile, starting this summer the ANG will start sending crews down to the FTU. As they pick up the FTU, they'll gradually stop doing the IP course.

• 4 weeks later...