340 FTG (UPT Reserve IP)

• 4 years later...
On 2/14/2013 at 11:11 AM, Cap-10 said:

APPLICATION QUALIFICATIONS

T-38C Instructor Pilot

-- At least 80 percent of Air Force Reserve Command IPs supporting any one host wing will have been mission-qualified fighter pilots. Other IPs (20 percent maximum) must have either bomber aircraft commander experience, aircraft commander MWS and 500 hours AETC T/AT-38 IP experience, or 1000 hours AETC T/AT-38 IP experience

Cheers,

Cap-10

Is this whole 80%-11F/20%-11B thing still even a thing in the 340th for guys looking to fly T-38s for SUPT/ENJJPT?

If the average makeup of the active duty T-38 squadrons (11M/11S/11R heavy) is any indication of where things in the AF are moving with its manning cluster****/pilot shortage, I don’t think AFRC can afford to be that picky any longer, no?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2019 at 9:37 PM, WheelsOff said:

Is this whole 80%-11F/20%-11B thing still even a thing in the 340th for guys looking to fly T-38s for SUPT/ENJJPT?

If the average makeup of the active duty T-38 squadrons (11M/11S/11R heavy) is any indication of where things in the AF are moving with its manning cluster****/pilot shortage, I don’t think AFRC can afford to be that picky any longer, no?

I've been retired since 2017, so the makeup could be 0% 11F, or it could be 69%....don't know.

Are any of the T-6 IP squadrons undermanned?

Depends, I know the numbers a Laughlin were pretty low for a while but then got better, then they increased the student load which increases the IPs required (in theory). So short answer, I have no idea but when I left in April we were hurting and I know they decreased the CAP and are washing students back because they can’t keep up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

On 7/31/2019 at 8:37 PM, WheelsOff said:

No, it's no longer a thing. The bomber cap is long gone.  That said, there's plenty of T-38 tracked guys making the transition to the Reserves. T-1 tracked guys are still largely being steered to T-6s and T-1s.

Also remember, active Duty is sending 11Ms (et al) who were 38 tracked in phase III, so saying 11Ms are now the lion's share of the 38 UPT cadre is an unnuanced take on this manning shift. Not saying they couldn't at some point just chuck people into 38 IP UPT billets without having flown the airplane as students, but as of right now that's not the majority case. 

As to the Reserves, we are not undermanned in T-38s. CBM is broke and on their ass, so the manning is masked by that since there's not much metal to turn on the 38 side. Active Duty is getting creative and you guys will hear some more about it in the coming month but I'll keep that close to the vest for now. 

Our (AFRC 38s) footprint is the smallest within the realm of the 340th, IFF exempted. Our IFF inputs are probably the the worst manned overall based on airline projections and people's unwillingness to do that job past a certain age, but they are holding steady on the requirement for IFF graduates only.

4 hours ago, Bobsan said:

Are any of the T-6 IP squadrons undermanned?

DLF would probably be the worst, and I don't know how bad it is currently. I know it's not as bad as it was when I went in as a T-6 guy in the tail end of the Lost Decade. People are posturing for the upcoming recession, so things will get quickly snatched up the second the airlines stop hiring for a bit and people panic back to Uncle Sugar. Mark my words (only been doing this shit for 13 years, BWTFDIK).

100% chance of not getting what you don't ask for though. Good luck.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I am kicking this idea around of applying to a TR T-6 IP job. I have always wanted to fly the T-6 again and not getting any younger. DSG tanker IP / airline dude right now. Flew the T-6 at Moody. Got a current, signed 1288 in hand. I would unfortunately be a commuter at any one of the bases. Reserve vacancy site shows a few jobs open at CBM.

How long is PIT? I read above they expect the average TR to participate 6 days a month. How are the TR's paid? 48 IDT and AT or are there additional pay days (FTP)? Do they pay for travel / billeting when you are in town? I only mentioned Columbus because I think it'd be the easiest place to commute to from the Northeast using jumpseat/nonrev with the company.

18 minutes ago, Gazmo said:

Ok so I am kicking this idea around of applying to a TR T-6 IP job. I have always wanted to fly the T-6 again and not getting any younger. DSG tanker IP / airline dude right now. Flew the T-6 at Moody. Got a current, signed 1288 in hand. I would unfortunately be a commuter at any one of the bases. Reserve vacancy site shows a few jobs open at CBM.

How long is PIT? I read above they expect the average TR to participate 6 days a month. How are the TR's paid? 48 IDT and AT or are there additional pay days (FTP)? Do they pay for travel / billeting when you are in town? I only mentioned Columbus because I think it'd be the easiest place to commute to from the Northeast using jumpseat/nonrev with the company.

pay and travel is just like the guard. you get 48 uta, 48 aftp, and 15 AT. rolling participation average of 6 days, at DLF at least you could amortize that number it on a quarterly basis, though exceptions were allowed for airline training or the odd duck civilian contract work on a case by case basis. As to non reving to the military, youre not supposed to do that and some airlines are explicit about it. the unit is responsible to give you travel pay and allowance if they hire you, its not like the typical fighter unit where they tell you theres a commuting radius restriction and its on you to get yourself to the unit. the 340th (perhaps the folks at SPS exempted, but ill digress on that one) recognize most people wont reside at the UPT locations, so they have to sweeten the pot.

Theres tons of travel schemes you can do with AT travel, and generally plenty of MPA to tack on to have all your trips to the unit paid travel for. yes, lodging is direct billed to the unit when on UTA/TP status. when on AT/rpa/mpa et al, lodging is by reimbursement just like any active duty tdy. UPT units also still qualify (at least they did when i left mine 12 month ago) for IDT travel, which allows a certain cash value on a receipt basis twelve times a year to travel to an IDT string of day(s). This allows in theory to not have to work extra in order to get travel paid for (since its illegal to use one day of mpa to merely get travel pay and then work the rest of the trip on IDT status, they would make you work two mpa in that trip non travel days, before they would allow you to tack your IDTS to it). At any rate, a long conversation for new hires, but it gives you a glimpse.

Do bear in mind we re now fragged for individual non-voluntary NON-FLYING 180 day deployments for TRs. Only one unit has internally been exempted from it, which is self evident if you can count with your fingers. So far we ve got random volunteers to pick up the grenade in order to finish out their active duty 20 and get the check. but we re running out of those old guys pretty quick so its a matter of time before they tap a young guy and people scram for the IMA or IRR. And yes do recognize the participation requirements are onerous coming from a heavy unit, especially when travel to the unit has to be accounted for. The non deployment aspect of the job was usually the big draw to this job, but they touched that so now people are always walking around with daggers and 1288s up their sleeve. Things used to be better before they messed with that, but then again everything was better when TFI wasnt a thing. but thats crying about 15 year old spilt milk, so ill just say Caveat emptor and digress.

PIT is 4ish month long, depending on weather, mx manning, the phases of the moon, and of course your proficiency. Most TRs take the full span of the course for the per diem and active duty money, though for some of yall high faluting airline guys its still a paycut.

Do bear in mind we re now fragged for individual non-voluntary NON-FLYING 180 day deployments for TRs.

Hmmm... that just severely killed my boner. WTF are they thinking? Someone should turn that off NOW!

Great info though! Appreciate it.

Hmmm... that just severely killed my boner. WTF are they thinking? Someone should turn that off NOW!

Great info though! Appreciate it.

Yup. That was the only reason I didn’t take a T-6 gig. The 6 days a month is a pretty heavy bill in itself but the 6 month deployments just absolutely ruins it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Yup. That was the only reason I didn’t take a T-6 gig. The 6 days a month is a pretty heavy bill in itself but the 6 month deployments just absolutely ruins it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Yeah, aside from scratching my T-6 itch again, having to show up 6 days a month, not including travel, and with the chance to get tapped for a 180, I'd be safer staying in the ANG tanker world as a local. Kinda sad really. Oh well, lots to think about on that one. As painful as the Guard has become, there is an additional level of bureaucracy Big Blue needs to go through to start non-vol'n DSG's for 180 day non-flying tours. To my knowledge, it isn't happening.... yet.

EDIT - despite the 180-day/non-vol hysteria, in reality, how often is this happening?

23 hours ago, Gazmo said:

Yeah, aside from scratching my T-6 itch again, having to show up 6 days a month, not including travel, and with the chance to get tapped for a 180, I'd be safer staying in the ANG tanker world as a local. Kinda sad really. Oh well, lots to think about on that one. As painful as the Guard has become, there is an additional level of bureaucracy Big Blue needs to go through to start non-vol'n DSG's for 180 day non-flying tours. To my knowledge, it isn't happening.... yet.

EDIT - despite the 180-day/non-vol hysteria, in reality, how often is this happening?

It’s not as bad as you make it.  It’s a average of 6 days a month and that includes travel.  At CBM, it’s 18 per quarter.  Do it all at once or break it up as you see fit.  You gotta do a minimum of a 4 string block though to use 6 day rules (Day 1: travel to/get green/make sure ready to fly next day — Day 6:  fly 1/do paperwork/ travel home).  Anything less is IDT travel and expected to fly on day 1.  

as for deployments, they are real but it’s sorta like a dartboard.  Each band 1 usually drops to group.  Then, whatever base is up it’s theirs (unless another base volunteers to take it, but then that base on hook for next).  Once that base has had one, next base up in rotation for next drop.  So, realistically, a deployment has to drop in your band, to your base without another base Volunteering for it first.  And then your racked and stacked inside if your band too.  It’s not the monster it’s made out to be, unless you happen to be the guy who ends up as the bullseye but odds are WAY in your favor that you’ll never see it.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It’s not as bad as you make it.  It’s a average of 6 days a month and that includes travel.  At CBM, it’s 18 per quarter.  Do it all at once or break it up as you see fit.  You gotta do a minimum of a 4 string block though to use 6 day rules (Day 1: travel to/get green/make sure ready to fly next day — Day 6:  fly 1/do paperwork/ travel home).  Anything less is IDT travel and expected to fly on day 1.  

as for deployments, they are real but it’s sorta like a dartboard.  Each band 1 usually drops to group.  Then, whatever base is up it’s theirs (unless another base volunteers to take it, but then that base on hook for next).  Once that base has had one, next base up in rotation for next drop.  So, realistically, a deployment has to drop in your band, to your base without another base Volunteering for it first.  And then your racked and stacked inside if your band too.  It’s not the monster it’s made out to be, unless you happen to be the guy who ends up as the bullseye but odds are WAY in your favor that you’ll never see it.  

Good info. Thanks.

Are dudes getting promoted in TR slots there? Any career O-4's? Is PME (or lack there of) a killer?

Yes they are being promoted but a lot are saying no thanks to ACSC and just choosing to retire as a Major.  If you do your PME they’ll bend over backwards to help you promote.  If not, fly 2 and go home and no one will think less of you at all

• Like 1

Yes they are being promoted but a lot are saying no thanks to ACSC and just choosing to retire as a Major.

Cool, that sounds like me....

They're promoting some to O-5 in the ANG now without PME, but the dealbreaker if you don't have PME done seems to be the IP qual (I checked that box a long time ago). My board wouldn't be for another 7-8 months if I stay put and I think there's a 96.69% chance I'd get promoted without PME where I am.

Are they letting people go past 20 as an O-4 (24 yrs is allowed, isn't it?)? I will be at 17 yrs in a few months.

On 9/3/2019 at 12:24 PM, T6CBM said:

Yeah, Hope's not a plan though. The reason why it doesn't seem like a "big deal" right now is because for the last two years we've had the old timers within reach of an Active Duty retirement, volunteer for these grenades in order to hit the check o the month club a few years earlier. As a consequence, we're losing that demographic quicker than we otherwise would, which accelerates the exposure of the types of folks who don't have that option available to them. 

So, if you're within 4 years of a 20 year letter I can see why this is all Chicken little hyperbole. But for folks closer to a decade left, it's a much different picture, and that requires nuance, not whitewashing.

5/6 units (one is exempted) , 2 taskers a year, 2 units a year more or less. So that's a tap every other FY for most units within the 340th. For guys with 10 years to go, it's a significant threat, especially when you account for turnover at the unit as guys get nervous and 1288/IMA/IRR early. 

I

On 9/4/2019 at 11:39 PM, Gazmo said:

Are they letting people go past 20 as an O-4 (24 yrs is allowed, isn't it?)? I will be at 17 yrs in a few months.

No. 20 is MSD for O-4. They're not retaining any non-promotes beyond 20. And on the O-5 promo as a TR in AFRC, that's a 0.0% chance of promotion without ACSC. Not a State secret either, it's fairly common knowledge around here. Caveat emptor.

Edited by hindsight2020
grammerz
  • Like 1

No. 20 is MSD for O-4. They're not retaining any non-promotes beyond 20. And on the O-5 promo as a TR in AFRC, that's a 0.0% chance of promotion without ACSC. Not a State secret either, it's fairly common knowledge around here. Caveat emptor.
Thanks. We have had a few guys get promoted to O-5 at ROPMA in the Guard having started ACSC, but having not fnished it. Seems like the dealbreaker though is not being an IP.

• 3 weeks later...

Are there good POC’s for reserve UPT IP hiring? I’m interested in something a bit different (current WIC IP) that still involves teaching. I’m a EN grad and hindsight mentioned being an IP there is a bit different. How so? 

Also, confirm that you will get your commute paid for? I don’t plan to live IVO any UPT bases and that would be pretty sweet. Also, do they put you up on base or something while you’re in town? Sorry for the ignorance.

2 hours ago, Danger41 said:

Are there good POC’s for reserve UPT IP hiring? I’m interested in something a bit different (current WIC IP) that still involves teaching. I’m a EN grad and hindsight mentioned being an IP there is a bit different. How so? 

Also, confirm that you will get your commute paid for? I don’t plan to live IVO any UPT bases and that would be pretty sweet. Also, do they put you up on base or something while you’re in town? Sorry for the ignorance.

Your best bet will be the individual units. They all have POC for hiring, and they forward the inquiries to the respective flight commanders. the eventual formal application occurs at the 340th level, submitting an application with the unit or units, of interest, and they internally forward your application to the unit. It pays to just speak with the unit directly beforehand since they'll have the immediate pulse on hiring needs at the time. 

As to the 97th, nothing different about them. Not sure what portion of my previous comments gave you the impression they're different. Certainly they've had prior hiring policies in the past I consider a bit insufferable, to pick the most mild euphemism, but those dynamics are anachronisms today frankly. The game has changed and the old guard has by and large retired. 

As to paid travel, I've typed that on here ad nauseam. Look at my previous remarks touching on that topic. Good luck!

Edited by hindsight2020
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...