340 FTG (UPT Reserve IP)

I think the other bases are the same, but at my base, in just my MWS, we currently have 8 TR positions and 1 AGR position that are open.

We also have 2 more AGR positions that will open end of this year (Oct-Nov) timeframe.

APPLICATION QUALIFICATIONS

Applicants must meet qualifications specified on the U.S. Air Force Formal Schools Education & Training Course Announcements (ETCA) Web site in addition to the following:

T-1 Instructor Pilot

-- Previous Aircraft Commander status in any military aircraft.

-- For a T-1 Instructor Pilot Job - Applicants must have tanker, airlift, bomber, or previous AETC experience as a T-1 IP.

T-6 Instructor Pilot

-- Previous Aircraft Commander status in any military aircraft.

-- Applicants must have MWS or previous AETC experience as a T-6 IP.

T-38C Instructor Pilot

-- Aircraft Commander status from all other aircraft.

-- 350 hours and mission qualified status in fighter aircraft.

-- At least 80 percent of Air Force Reserve Command IPs supporting any one host wing will have been mission-qualified fighter pilots. Other IPs (20 percent maximum) must have either bomber aircraft commander experience, aircraft commander MWS and 500 hours AETC T/AT-38 IP experience, or 1000 hours AETC T/AT-38 IP experience

AT-38 Instructor Pilot

-- Experience in a fighter within the last five years, four-ship flight lead

-- 500 hours in fighter aircraft or 1000 FP/MP/IP hours total with 300 hours in fighters.

-- No additional requirements beyond ETCA

Just helping to get the word out...let me know if anyone has questions?

Cheers,

Cap-10

Thanks, Cap. Any T-1 TR IPs out there care to speak about the life? Is it possible to "bum" as a TR AETC IP?

Not a T-1 guy, but we currently have 3 guys that are troughing full time on MPA days...who know how long that will continue if the sequesture happens.

Cheers,

Cap-10

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Cap,

On a related note, if one were to be hired but NOT full time, what's the maximum one could fly? Thanks.

You mean troughing? That depends on the money pot. The answer in our neck of the woods is: it depends. Would probably help to be local. These days the commuting-to-trough is not viewed in very good light. But someone tell the bosses that freedom ain't free, I'm tired of being the broken record...

Cap, On a related note, if one were to be hired but NOT full time, what's the maximum one could fly? Thanks.

2nd what hindsight said.

MPA (the days that active duty gives to the Reserves and pays for) is what is normally used for troughing and in the current fiscal era, those could go away at any time. We currently have 2-3 local TR that are troughing for the rest of the FY.

We also have a local TR (that has an airline job) and he flies 8-10 days a month at UPT by using some AT days on top of his normal FTPs and UTAs.

Cheers,

Cap-10

• 1 month later...

What are the chances of a new hire getting an AGR gig? I would think that those positions generally go to TRs that had been with the unit for awhile. I was a FAIP about 2.5 years ago and when I left, it seemed like the reservist were getting screwed over with all kinds of pay/flight time reductions (which was going to put AD guys in a helluva bind). Before that time, it seemed like the reserves was a great job. How's the work life these days in a UPT reservist job?

Outlaw

What are the chances of a new hire getting an AGR gig? I would think that those positions generally go to TRs that had been with the unit for awhile. I was a FAIP about 2.5 years ago and when I left, it seemed like the reservist were getting screwed over with all kinds of pay/flight time reductions (which was going to put AD guys in a helluva bind). Before that time, it seemed like the reserves was a great job. How's the work life these days in a UPT reservist job? Outlaw

I started an AGR tour 7 months after getting hired....I was still on my seasoning orders for MQT when I got it.

You are correct that the normal progression is to be a TR first, then an AGR....having said that, I do know of one guy (who visit's this board) that was a direct hire into an AGR position.

We have a few TR positions open here in each of the MWS's and I believe the shortage is due to the fact that, without the airlines hiring, there are a lot of dudes who want to get out but don't know what their "other" job would be....and if they have a family to support, the thought of having to support them on the 6 days a month min with no guarenteed civilian job, is a very scary proposition.

Not sure what it was like 2.69 years ago but currently, all our TR's are getting at least their 6 days a month min...some pick up a few days here and there and average 6-9 a month, and when they show up, they fly....no SOF/SUP/RSU.

IMHO, it's still a great job!

Cheers,

Cap-10

Cap-10,

Do you guys hire MAF pilots into the T-6 that have never been an AETC IP?

I'm not CAP, but the answer to your question is, yes. Refer to CAP's original post and the qualifications are listed for all three airframes (RTF thing bra'.. :D ). As a matter of fact, it's a much easier job to get than T-1 IP. Phase II is NOT the gentleman's course of the house and the manning reflects that... I'll just leave it at that...

Call now and we'll throw in a complimentary "I'm a quitter and I like it!" T-6 shaped keychain with your application :thumbsup:

Seriously though, if you're interested feel free to PM folks like CAP and others on this board who work within the 340th who can give you more direct vectors. Recognize every squadron has their own idiosyncracies and manning situation, so it pays to inquire about and get in touch with the specific UPT location you're interested in.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've received quite a few PM's the last week or two with questions about the 340th and UPT Reserve gig.

I think I have responded to all, but if missed anyone, then it wasn an oversight on my part...please resend and I'll reply ASAP!

Cheers,

Cap-10

• 3 months later...

Bump...

In my flight alone, we have 6 TR spots (Maj and Lt Col) open right now.

Also have some AGR and ART positions opening sporadically over the next 12 months.

Other squadrons at other bases are in similar positions.

PM me if you want more info.

Cheers,

Cap-10

Are your ARTs going to be GS-13s? Are they going to be straight 8s, 4,5,9s, 4x10s or max-flex? I've got some buds that might be interested if the pay/schedule is right.

I prolly just opened a can of worms for people that don't speak ART.

Edited by matmacwc

The two ART positions won't open until middle to late next year.

I believe there will be a mix of GS 13 and 14's...not sure of what step it will start on. Line guys would be a GS13 and leadership positions a GS14.

As for schedules, I think the most common scenarios would be either 4 x 10's with double IDTs on Friday, or straight 8's and use the IDTs for weekend XC flying.

We currently only have 1 ART in the 340th and he works up at the HQ level, so there is still some learning to be done wrt how an ART will work at the UPT line flying level.

Cheers,

Cap-10

Edited by Cap-10

The two ART positions won't open until middle to late next year.

I believe there will be a mix of GS 13 and 14's...not sure of what step it will start on. Line guys would be a GS13 and leadership positions a GS14.

As for schedules, I think the most common scenarios would be either 4 x 10's with double IDTs on Friday, or straight 8's and use the IDTs for weekend XC flying.

We currently only have 1 ART in the 340th and he works up at the HQ level, so there is still some learning to be done wrt how an ART will work at the UPT line flying level.

Cheers,

Cap-10

Check PMs.

Are your ARTs going to be GS-13s? Are they going to be straight 8s, 4,5,9s, 4x10s or max-flex? I've got some buds that might be interested if the pay/schedule is right.

I prolly just opened a can of worms for people that don't speak ART.

I can tell you why I don't think maxiflex or 4x10s will work and why this thing is such a hung start. But you'll have to PM me. I don't want to let that cat out open source. The Crown's jackals probably lurk on here...

• 4 months later...

GS-13 then?

holy goddamn revival batman.

Yeah brother, IPs have always been GS-13 with a Special salary table that puts GS-12s (ACs) and GS-13s (IPs) at 30% bump of base salary, in lieu of locality pay. Locality pay in the common AF shithole locations is your standard national non-high-COL rate of 15% of base salary. So in essence, for shithole non-high-COL locations, a GS-13 pilot instructor is getting a 15% bump in salary (30%= 15% above the standard 15% he/she would otherwise get with locality pay) versus a straight GS civil servant whose occupational series does not qualify him for the special salary table.

....Color coded speak, since I know you knuckle draggin pilot types do math hard: You're getting paid less than an AGR, taxed at a higher rate, working longer every day for the same money and getting a crappier retirement. But if you don't want to do the airlines, it's better than fry cook or starting over at a college graduate salary in your 40s with a kid and a fat wife who lost her money maker a decade ago.

Come to think of it. I thought you were an ART? Shouldn't you know this shit already?

• 1 month later...

Bump:

With the airlines hiring, we have a mix of positions open right now or this summer...all ranks and all MWS's

T-38's have 2 AGR openings this summer (O-4), multiple O-4 and O-5?TR spots open right now and 2x ART positions...one open now, one this summer.

IFF has 2 x TR spots open right now. AGR spot won't open until mid 2016.

T-6 and T-1's have TR openings as well. T-6 ART positions have folks lined up, so those may be thought to get.

Cap-10

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net iOS App!

• Upvote 1