RPA/Cyber has their medal on the way

http://www.airforcetimes.com/mobile/news/2013/02/military-new-medal-for-drone-pilots-outranks-bronze-star-021313

I'm all for recognizing the accomplishments of UAV "drivers" for what they do, especially since they aren't in a cockpit, however awarding a medal that outranks the Bronze Star is a little much I thinks.

Wow.

Would've thought an MSM or DMSM would've sufficed although the criteria of "targeting an important target" does beg the question of what meat-servo'd a/c do and what they receive as recognition.

By this standard, then missileers and submarine key-turners should get the Medal of Honor if it ever comes to game day.

• Upvote 1

Would a RPA Pilot ever qualify for a DFC?

I'm thinking that an RPA pilot could, conceivably, get a DFC. Because it's awarded for, "heroism or extraordinary achievement while participating in an aerial flight." While an RPA operator's level of "participating in an aerial flight" is up for interpretation, a case could be made (by a good supervisor) for it, I think.

What I don't see happening is an RPA operator ever getting a DFC w/ Valor. This new medal (and it's ranking) don't bother me all that much. On the one hand, as we all know from the finance troop who got a Bronze Star without ever going outside the wire (and every staff O-4 who ever spent six months in AFG), a medal and that same medal with a "V" device are very different.

On the other hand, this is not the Combat Action Medal. We have a device to highlight those who actually go into harm's way. This new medal is just another piece of flare to make even those who don't go into harm's way feel special.

Edited by Hella-Copters

Here, let me sum up where this thread is headed:

"I don't really care about medals and stuff but my ###### really hurts because someone else is getting one I think they don't deserve."

That might be true. This thread might be headed in that direction. However, the fact remains that the new medal ranks above a Bronze Star with V device; a medal awarded for ground combat against an armed enemy.

Should RPA drivers receive recognition for their work? Sure. I have no issues with issuing them a medal.

Should RPA drivers receive a medal ranked higher than a medal issued for ground combat? No, I don't think so.

I personally have never been in ground combat. I hope I never have to engage the enemy in that manner. However, I think that the service members who have the courage to fight an armed enemy on the ground deserve recognition above those who fight such an enemy with less personal risk.

Edit: You sound like an ass.

Edited by zmoney

Unreal. This IMO, all stems from the lower promotion rates that were observed for UAV operators. Congress threw some pressure about it and this is the defense departments solution. Like most agree, they deserve recognition for great missions. However, this to me is a slap in the face for those who actually engage and are engaged by the enemy on the ground and do heroic things.

Disagree. The precedence of this medal gives an upper echelon for performance in combat. It will obviously not be awarded in any but exceptional circumstances, similar to DFC, but appropriately below it. There should also be an air medal or aerial achievement equivalent for more routine, but still notable, RPA or Cyber actions. Caveat: if this medal starts getting handed out like candy, I completely agree that the precedence is inappropriate.

How is there anything they can do, while never remotely close to danger, that can be outranked above a bronze star? I know not all bronze stars are for valor, etc, but come on. This is ridiculous. I agree, they need something, but this is overkill.

Edit: forgot a question mark.

Edited by slackline

By that logic, how is the AFCAM below the AFAM you get for being the group POC for a Dining Out? There's more to medal precedence than just exposure to personal danger. I agree that BS and BSV are in a completely different ballpark, but the combat actions of an RPA dude certainly provide more immediate battlefield impact than being the NCOIC of finance. As I said, it should not be routine, and AM/AAM don't really fit. There should be an AM/AAM equivalent for the more routine, but still combat oriented actions which would fall appropriately below those medals, but above PCS medals for 3 years of an admin job.

Edit: I just read through the criteria for award of the Bronze Star (no V) and Legion of Merit. Both would be appropriate awards of existing medals for the type of exceptionally meritorious combat service, even remotely, without having to create a new award.

Edited by HU&W

Disagree. The precedence of this medal gives an upper echelon for performance in combat. It will obviously not be awarded in any but exceptional circumstances, similar to DFC, but appropriately below it. There should also be an air medal or aerial achievement equivalent for more routine, but still notable, RPA or Cyber actions. Caveat: if this medal starts getting handed out like candy, I completely agree that the precedence is inappropriate.

Air medals are currently routine. If I was a betting man, I'd go all in on the idea that this medal will be handed out to just about everyone.

‘‘The extraordinary achievement must have resulted in an accomplishment so exceptional and outstanding as to clearly set the individual apart from comrades or from other persons in similar situations,’’ according to the Pentagon.

Also, their definition does not sound routine or like something that would be handed out to everyone. Honestly, the superlatives they use sound very similar to DFC, which requires Presidential signatory authority and all the associated vetting to be awarded. I don't know if this would go to that level, but I imagine it won't be your RPA PCS medal.