SUPT ops going forward...specifically to IP's

jetip

I know there is a 15 page thread on overall AF seq. that has been discussed ad nauseam. Not talking about all of that. I'm just looking at SUPT ops and it's possible suspension. Below's diatribe is on the AETC web site as of friday (just read it today). I hadn't heard anything this specific. Concentrating on "suspending advanced and instructor training on 1 Apr." It sounds like they are referring to RTU and PIT. That would be huge. Anyone read it differently or has anyone heard/been briefed on this? Any unit plans in the making if this really happens?

"2/8/2013 - JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO-RANDOLPH, Texas -- Cuts to flying and technical training, Professional Military Education and recruiting are some of the actions the Air Education and Training Command will take if budget sequestration goes into effect March 1.

Congress has the power to prevent sequestration, a series of automatic cuts to government agencies totaling $1.2 trillion over the course of 10 years.

AETC officials have already implemented near-term measures, such as limiting travel and supplies, hiring restrictions and curtailing non-readiness flying, to help reduce spending and mitigate budget risks. Officials continue to plan in order to minimize harmful mission impacts resulting from the ongoing budget uncertainty and impending sequestration.

"We develop America's Airmen today, for tomorrow," said General Edward A. Rice Jr., AETC commander. "In order for us to be successful, we have to continuously plan for the future and ensure mission execution no matter what conditions we operate under."

All areas within AETC could be impacted by sequestration. There will be substantial cuts to funding for national advertising for recruiting and commissioning programs such as ROTC. Professional Military Education and Readiness training quotas will be reduced. Advanced pilot and instructor training courses will be curtailed beginning April 1 in order to protect initial flying training, which is expected to stand down in late August or early September. If Congress fails to act and the automatic cuts are enacted, AETC will start implementing actions as soon as March 1.

"We will continue to do the very best we can with the resources we have," Rice said. "That said, sequestration will be harmful to the Air Force and to AETC and I hope it can be avoided."

Although there are many cuts in the future, the Office of the Secretary of Defense has directed the protection of funding for wartime operations and wounded warrior programs. To the extent possible, protection will also be afforded to programs associated with Airmen's families and the new defense strategy.

Looking ahead, the Air Force will continue to balance competing defense needs among the size of its force structure, today's readiness and modernization for the future."

Advanced pilot courses may include the Advanced Instrument course and a few other niche type trainings. Although I think it's tough to see "instructor training courses" being anything but PIT. Stop losses and canceled PCS volunteers from IPs? ....anyone? ....Bueller?

As far as UPT goes, I could see the RND folks dispersing to the other bases, if long term is expected. It would be like massive re-blue, and would be considered mission essential TDY. Our manning is bad enough approaching longer flying windows, and of course class sizes are going up. We've got quite a few PCS's on the way and folks getting out. Iv'e been in a lot of years, have been stop-lossed twice, and have been instructing...forever. Not sure if we could continue pushing the cap. I wonder if they could specifically stop loss AETC IP's...........that would be a great rumor (hope we don't see that), but you know it will go there. I've got a couple of guys that are supposed to start PIT post haste. I can't see them starting PIT in Mar for academics just to stop them in April as they hit the line.

I'm pretty much in the know and haven't heard a word. Maybe I'm not in the know as much as I thought.

Edited by jetip

WIC was the first thing that came to mind for me when I read "advanced" training. I would think that's got to be an expensive school with as much traveling and TDY as those guys do.

On a related note, I'm hearing legacy C-130 pilots and navs in the FTU are being told not to make any long term arrangements as there is a good chance they will end up going to MC-12s or RPAs because the AD legacy fleet is getting ready to talk a big cut manning-wise and Yokota, Cheyenne, etc. are already overmanned.

On a related note, I'm hearing legacy C-130 pilots and navs in the FTU are being told not to make any long term arrangements as there is a good chance they will end up going to MC-12s or RPAs because the AD legacy fleet is getting ready to talk a big cut manning-wise and Yokota, Cheyenne, etc. are already overmanned.

Yup, some students (50ish) that are inbound to Little Rock on the H-model side got an email last week. Some are even in training already and were told to expect UAVs, white jets, or AFSOC. Really sucks if they've already bought a house since it is a PCS to Little Rock and then a PCA to the AMC side.

Edited by Fifty-six & Two

Yup, some students (50ish) that are inbound to Little Rock on the H-model side got an email last week. Some are even in training already and were told to expect UAVs, white jets, or AFSOC. Really sucks if they've already bought a house since it is a PCS to Little Rock and then a PCA to the AMC side.

Don't know how they can get white if PIT has a "for lease" sign out front.

Although I think it's tough to see "instructor training courses" being anything but PIT.

Altus and other FTUs? Perhaps they are talking about a freeze on upgrade TDYs? If they are trying to cut off "advanced" training to save "basic" pilot training, that is not really sustainable, unless they tell every single IP at DLF, CBM and END that they can't separate or PCS indefinitely.

From a broader point of view it really seems like the AF is trying to do short-term triage to address something that could very well be the new reality for the foreseeable future. They are really assuming (I think) that this sequestration thing is temporary and will go away. They can't just TURN OFF schools permanently, at least not essential ones like pilot training. The pipeline needs to be necked down sure, but simply turning off the tap will have cascading effects for the entire service for exponentially longer than any "temporary" stand-down.

Does anyone have any idea what the "advanced courses" include?

Seems strange for UPT to continue producing pilots that will then have nowhere to go as opposed to getting dudes through their respective RTUs (if RTUs are in fact an "advanced course").

No reason we shouldn't be doing this anyways.

If your Vol 1 allows you to do for people who crossflow, agreed. However last year I saw three prior -130 IP's go through the -135 IP school because their units didn't have enough IP's at home to do the training in-house.

Edited by Azimuth

If your Vol 1 allows you to do for people who crossflow, agreed. However last year I saw three prior -130 IP's go through the -135 IP school because their units didn't have enough IP's at home to do the training in-house.

This reminds me of another program that needs to get the axe. While it is a good deal for the guys that get to do it, how much money does PHOENIX REACH waste every year taking current and qualified IPs and sending the back through six months of training to learn how to fly a whole new aircraft? Every unit I've ever been in has been critically manned in IPs, yet continues to take the most experienced guys and sends them somewhere else for the sake of their careers.

When it comes down to it, it's really just a really expensive-ass box to check to make it easier for our "leadership" to differentiate between officers at boards.

No reason we shouldn't be doing this anyways.

Completely and utterly agree. PIT doesn't really teach anyone how to teach. They're more of an initial qual factory. I know lots of IP's down there who haven't even been phase II IP's. However, we have neither the bodies nor hours to do something like this no-notice.

Edited by jetip

However, we have neither the bodies nor hours to do something like this no-notice.

I'm guessing if we (USAF, Congress, America) had the ability to prepare for such a dramatic change in the way we operate, we probably wouldn't of ever arrived here.

In my first decade of service, I used to hear statements like this (not dissing you, because I have made them too) and honestly believed them because they came from some very reliable sources of knowledge (we will never, we could never, they will never do, etc...). However, I have learned in my second decade that when those statements are being made (routinely and/or with absolute conviction)... watch out... "Yeah, we're going to need you to come in on Saturday and Sunday... and plan on full days"

I'm guessing if we (USAF, Congress, America) had the ability to prepare for such a dramatic change in the way we operate, we probably wouldn't of ever arrived here.

In my first decade of service, I used to hear statements like this (not dissing you, because I have made them too) and honestly believed them because they came from some very reliable sources of knowledge (we will never, we could never, they will never do, etc...). However, I have learned in my second decade that when those statements are being made (routinely and/or with absolute conviction)... watch out... "Yeah, we're going to need you to come in on Saturday and Sunday... and plan on full days"

I completely hear what you're saying especially re: we wouldn't be here. However, nearing the end of my second decade as an IP, it's a different world than when I started. We don't have the maintenance flexibility/capability to add the sustained number of sorties that would be necessary, especially if they cut any of the civilian maint. troops like they did a couple of months ago. This time, I think we just might find out the max blood content in a turnip. Even so, I'm quite sure weekend fly's are about to become the norm.

Do you know if any of those dudes were FAIPs?

I'm a FAIP going to J-models, so I'm not too worried, but I do have a few bros heading to the H.

Does anyone have any idea what the "advanced courses" include?

Seems strange for UPT to continue producing pilots that will then have nowhere to go as opposed to getting dudes through their respective RTUs (if RTUs are in fact an "advanced course").

There is a reason they call it a a B course.....for basic. RTUs still crank out bodies, if not increase.

My unit does the same...sends prior IPs to the schoolhouse for IP upgrade. But usually for a lack of sim time and/or flying hours to run an in-house IP program, not for a lack of instructors. Plus, we can get a guy back from the schoolhouse, upgraded, in a month. Takes several months to do it in-house (for the above reasons.)

I do know that shutting down FTUs for IP upgrades will absolutely not be able to be absorbed in house at most, if not all, units. Not enough flying hours for currency training as-is.

Fellas, fellas. You missed the good news: no more money for PME.

In wholly unrelated news, TIB is probably traveling around the world.

This is not good news. Now they will literally put a box in your SURF for "Christmas Party Planner" and you will need that, AAD, and SOS-Correspondence to go to the extremely limited in-residence course. Then only those guys wills get promoted to major.