Aviano F-16 pilot KIA

MKopack

Search and rescue effort underway for missing aircraft

Posted 1/28/2013

31st Fighter Wing Public Affairs

1/28/2013 - AVIANO AIR BASE, Italy -- Search efforts are underway after Aviano Air Base lost contact with one of its F-16 fighter jets at approximately 8 p.m. this evening.

The aircraft was performing a training mission over the Adriatic Sea with one person on board. The pilot's condition is unknown at this time.

More information will be released as it becomes available.

Italian search teams find wreckage of missing USAF F-16

Italian search and rescue teams have recovered debris in the Adriatic Sea which they believe belongs to a missing Lockheed Martin F-16 Fighting Falcon operated by the US Air Force...

...However, they have yet to find any sign of the pilot.

Holding out some hope. Thoughts and prayers to his SQ, friends, and most importantly his family.

Capt. Lucas Gruenther, 31st Fighter Wing chief of flight safety, was conducting a training sortie in an F-16 Fighting Falcon when contact was lost with his aircraft at approximately 8 p.m. Italian aircraft and ships were quickly dispatched to the jet's last known location, 10 to 15 nautical miles east of Cervia, Italy.

Full Story Here

This is the kicker that always gets me, he and his wife are expecting their first child in 2 weeks:

From Modesto Bee

Edited by contraildash

This is the kicker that always gets me, he and his wife are expecting their first child in 2 weeks:

That's the part that I can never get over with aircrew digging in. Once we're mission qual'd it's the prime age for a young family. Always awful.