How long to get training dates

Hey everybody,

The gouge I've found over this topic is a little dated, so hopefully somebody has more current info.

Below is my situation:

My unit submitted my pilot application package to the guard bureau this week (Monday) and said it will take 6-8 weeks to receive training dates (AMS, UPT, etc).

Can anybody say that is a fairly accurate waiting time (I know everybody is different)? Is it 'normally' longer/shorter than that? I only ask because my wife was going to come with me to UPT but was just recently offered a very attractive job opportunity (one that cannot be passed up). However, we have a son that is due in the middle of February so we want to keep everybody together (as much as possible). The company who offered her the job said they would consider her working from home if they could know where 'home' would be (aka which UPT base if she came with me). But that is only a consideration, not set in stone.

Overall, the company said they would wait to hear back from my wife, who is waiting to hear for my dates, so we are unsure how long the company will hold off. If it came down to it (worse case scenario) my wife and newborn would move to FL (where the job is) and I would be at UPT (but as a new father, I'd like to avoid that if at all possible, and I know that military life requires family separation, but if I can minimize it, I will).

I know everybody's story and waiting time is different, I was just wondering if anybody had any current info and/or experience on the matter.

Thanks for any and all help.

-Chem

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your unit fly fighters? If so you got a 99.69% chance of going to Sheppard. If not you could maybe put in a request for which base. I would explain the situation to them, but I'm pretty sure it's like one dude who takes care of all the dates at the bureau. The 6-9 week WOM is fairly accurate, I would say more on the 6 week side.

Chuckster,

Thanks for the info. My unit flies heavies so it's either Columbus, Del Rio, or Vance (I think those are the 3 options).

I'll definitely send the guy at my unit who deals with the bureau packages an email and see if he can help with a UPT location 'request'.

At first i didnt care which base but the remarkeble timing of everything else, Columbus would now be my primary

Thanks again for the input.

-Chem

Your unit fly fighters? If so you got a 99.69% chance of going to Sheppard. If not you could maybe put in a request for which base. I would explain the situation to them, but I'm pretty sure it's like one dude who takes care of all the dates at the bureau. The 6-9 week WOM is fairly accurate, I would say more on the 6 week side.

Eh, not necessarily. My unit flies fighters and I'm at Columbus. Know a few other guys who are also going to fighter units here at Columbus. I think it has more to do with when Guard Bureau gets dates, and who can work with what dates.

I went to AMS with some guys who ended up at Sheppard, but they didn't do all of the schools I did before UPT (i.e. they skipped Water Survival and SERE, while I went).

I really think it has to do more with Guard Bureau and them trying to make your package work (sts) within the constraints they have.

Hey everybody,

The gouge I've found over this topic is a little dated, so hopefully somebody has more current info.

Below is my situation:

My unit submitted my pilot application package to the guard bureau this week (Monday) and said it will take 6-8 weeks to receive training dates (AMS, UPT, etc).

Can anybody say that is a fairly accurate waiting time (I know everybody is different)? Is it 'normally' longer/shorter than that? I only ask because my wife was going to come with me to UPT but was just recently offered a very attractive job opportunity (one that cannot be passed up). However, we have a son that is due in the middle of February so we want to keep everybody together (as much as possible). The company who offered her the job said they would consider her working from home if they could know where 'home' would be (aka which UPT base if she came with me). But that is only a consideration, not set in stone.

Overall, the company said they would wait to hear back from my wife, who is waiting to hear for my dates, so we are unsure how long the company will hold off. If it came down to it (worse case scenario) my wife and newborn would move to FL (where the job is) and I would be at UPT (but as a new father, I'd like to avoid that if at all possible, and I know that military life requires family separation, but if I can minimize it, I will).

I know everybody's story and waiting time is different, I was just wondering if anybody had any current info and/or experience on the matter.

Thanks for any and all help.

-Chem

Your timeline sounds about right to me, and perhaps the PoC at your unit can help speed things along and pass along your base request.

Having said that, I doubt a civilian company will wait 6-9 weeks for a decision. While your timeline is reasonable, I wouldn't hinge your whole plan on NGB following it.

• 3 weeks later...

1 - It takes about a year, unless you're prior military (O or E)

2 - the base you go to doesn't depend if your heavy/fighter/other - it's the first one they can get a slot for. Mine got moved up 8 months because Shepard didn't have an opening (I was prior active duty and had all the queep stuff out of the way).

3 - Enjoy it. You've got a good attitude, just be patient and remember how much it sucked before you had the job, that should keep you motivated.

4 - It's a marathon made up of a series of sprints and road blocks. Run when they say run, stop when they say stop.

5 - cheers!

• 2 months later...

Good morning everybody,

I'm going on 7-weeks since the ANG Bureau has received my package and have yet to hear of any training dates assigned (and neither has anybody at my base). It was returned in late January because of some forms incorrectly filled and was resubmitted a few weeks later. I have a few questions below:

1) Has anybody received training dates from the ANGB recently? Or has anybody heard if the training scheduling has been 'paused' due to the buget cut nightmare?

2) From my understanding, when I receive dates I should receive all of them correct? AMS, UPT, Specific airframe qualification (no sure what the acronym is for that), and survival trainings?

I'm a teacher (hence the name) and am supposed to sign next school years teaching contract soon, but if I have training dates in the fall then I would let my principal know I will not be returning.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

-Chem

There are people at your base who can help you figure out what is going on with your packet, I would be asking them. They can follow up with the people at NGB.

7 weeks isn't that long though, so I would be a little more patient.

You might get all dates at once (not likely) but I would suspect you to get AMS/IFS/UPT initially (assuming you have to go to IFS).

Edited by Kenny Powers

My approved package was submitted "to training" somewhere high up in Big Blue for class dates on 21 Feb. I have not yet heard any more information

Next drill weekend, May 4th, I'll swing by Base Training to see if they have any further info (class dates for me, or the status of various schools in general, given the budget.). I'll post what I find.

2) From my understanding, when I receive dates I should receive all of them correct? AMS, UPT, Specific airframe qualification (no sure what the acronym is for that), and survival trainings?

The only guy we have in the process right now was only given his AMS dates. NGB is waiting to dole out the other ones pending successful completion. FWIW.

I agree with you Kenny Powers, that matches what I've heard also. Somebody told me that the FY 14 training dates haven't been released/assigned so many people only have AMS dates and nothing else.

I'll say it again, it is uniquely frustrating for me because of my situation (not trying to 'jump' in front of anybody by any means) but as a teacher we sign teaching contracts every year, and out of professional courtesy, I would hate to have to leave 1/2/3 months into the next school year if I get a late notice on training. But overall, I'm just thankful my name is on that training list, I know many people would give everything to have their name on that list.

Edited by chem_teacher_flies85

The guy ahead of me in the timeline at my unit received dates early last week. I am 'the next in line' and was told any day now.

Also, if you google AMS or OTS class dates, they released the FY14 class dates online. (if you wanted/needed to know those particular dates, I did for my job).

-Chem

For whatever it's worth, I got tentative B-course dates for eagle FTU in November, no orders are cut, but there are definitately FY14 stuff in process at the Guard bureau.

And you will rarely get UPT/IFF/FTU dates all at once. I didn't get my IFF dates until I was almost done with 38's

The guy ahead of me in the timeline at my unit received dates early last week. I am 'the next in line' and was told any day now.

Also, if you google AMS or OTS class dates, they released the FY14 class dates online. (if you wanted/needed to know those particular dates, I did for my job).

-Chem

Base Training had not particular info to pass on.

I got nothin'

Same here no news yet.

Anybody get/know/hear anything about dates in the past week?

I believe the last AMS class of FY13 wrapped up recently and was told all those people have NOT received UPT assignments yet (that was the case 3 weeks ago). So my assumption, which may be wrong, is that those new 2LT would be priority for UPT assignment.

-Chem