Air Battle Manager (ABM) info

Whitman

• 3 months later...

Sorry I'm bringing this thread back after a few months of no activity but I figured it would be better than starting a new one.

First of all I appreciate everyone's input back when I was about to graduate college and asking questions about the training and the career field. Now that I'm down here and half way through the pipeline all the information makes so much more sense and I'm really enjoying it and the weather :)

Now I'm looking at assignments and am really interested in Geilenkirchen because of the mission and its close to my grandparents and cousin over in Bad-Ems and I'd love to live in Europe again for a while. I have some questions about the base and surrounding location and hoping there's some experienced ABMers out there with answers.

First of all I have a rescue dog that I was told is a magyar viszla mix but hes been mistaken for boxers and pit bull breeds so I'm hesitant with moving into Germany since everything I've found out points towards not being allowed to import a pitbull looking breed into the country. Because of this I was looking at Maastricht or Sittard in the Netherlands. My question is am I allowed to live in the Netherlands being stationed at GK or is there a restriction to the immediate area?

The other question I have is about bringing in guns. Is this allowed? My husband really doesn't want to be without his handgun for safety purposes and would prefer to bring it but at a certain point the hassle just isn't worth it. I'm going to try contacting the consulate over in the Netherlands and get an answer (I have a feeling its going to be no) but I thought I'd ask just in case anyone has any valuable input.

Lastly, I'd appreciate anyone's input on their experience being stationed at GK good or bad :)

Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I was hoping someone could give me some information about the training structure. My RNLT date is next week and I have already gotten a house in one of the base housing communities. I have two dogs.

On my orders, it instructed me to familiarize myself with the IFS website... Do we actually go to IFS? Approximately how long will we be somewhere other Tyndall and what's the timeframe? I just want to make sure I can take care of my dogs and can't seem to find any info on this! Thanks!

- A

• 2 weeks later...

Hey dude, no IFS for ABMs. Once you get to Tyndall you'll stay there until you graduate and PCS to your next base. I was there for about 10 months. Great squadron with superb instructors, enjoy it. If you have any questions shoot me a PM.

• 3 years later...

Sorry I'm bringing this thread back after a few months of no activity but I figured it would be better than starting a new one.

I know that this thread has been stale since 2013, but I have been selected for OTS on rated board 16OT04 for my first choice of ABM. 

Through research and speaking to a few ABMs I know the basics about the duty and mission on both the AWACS and the JSTARS and reading the last four pages of this thread has been enlightening.... and eye opening. 

I want to give 120% from day one. I want to learn as much as I can. I want to learn how to do the job the best that I can, but I also want to learn the ins and outs of the do's and the do-not's. 

Ive been enlisted for the past 9 years on the C-17. I want to continue this career in the Air Force until it no longer needs me. Any advice from those of you that can expand on your experiences to better educate me on the duties, opportunities, do's and do-not's, general advice, personal opinions and experiences on AWACS, JSTARS, and CRCs, I'm here to learn and understand as much as I can. I have a RNLTD to the school house in late March. 

Can anyone elaborate on the pros and cons of a "plow back"? I have a passion to teach/instruct.

I appreciate any and all advice or mentorship

Thank you

On 10/29/2016 at 10:15 AM, EtoO said:

I know that this thread has been stale since 2013, but I have been selected for OTS on rated board 16OT04 for my first choice of ABM. 

Through research and speaking to a few ABMs I know the basics about the duty and mission on both the AWACS and the JSTARS and reading the last four pages of this thread has been enlightening.... and eye opening. 

I want to give 120% from day one. I want to learn as much as I can. I want to learn how to do the job the best that I can, but I also want to learn the ins and outs of the do's and the do-not's. 

Ive been enlisted for the past 9 years on the C-17. I want to continue this career in the Air Force until it no longer needs me. Any advice from those of you that can expand on your experiences to better educate me on the duties, opportunities, do's and do-not's, general advice, personal opinions and experiences on AWACS, JSTARS, and CRCs, I'm here to learn and understand as much as I can. I have a RNLTD to the school house in late March. 

Can anyone elaborate on the pros and cons of a "plow back"? I have a passion to teach/instruct.

I appreciate any and all advice or mentorship

Thank you

Tinker guy here. Don't know much about JSTARS. Got a lot of bros PCSing to CRCs, so I know a little about that. PM me with any questions you have.

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I just got accepted into the OTS program to become an ABM. I was hoping I could get opinions by as many current or former ABMs as possible on whether they liked their position and whether it was worth serving for 6 years. Was ABM your first choice coming into the Air Force? Would you do it again if you were offered no other position? If you transferred to a different job career in the Air Force, was it difficult? How long did the transfer process take? 

I apologize if this is a lot of questions, but I'm really interested in joining the Air Force and I want as much information and advice as possible before signing my life away. 

Thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...
On 4/4/2017 at 6:03 PM, kabz428 said:

Hello,

I just got accepted into the OTS program to become an ABM. I was hoping I could get opinions by as many current or former ABMs as possible on whether they liked their position and whether it was worth serving for 6 years. Was ABM your first choice coming into the Air Force? Would you do it again if you were offered no other position? If you transferred to a different job career in the Air Force, was it difficult? How long did the transfer process take? 

I apologize if this is a lot of questions, but I'm really interested in joining the Air Force and I want as much information and advice as possible before signing my life away. 

Thanks in advance.

Haven't looked at this in a while, not sure where you are in the process. Shoot me a PM with your questions. To answer one of your questions, I get to do some cool things, on and off the jet. Even knowing what I know now, I'd do it again.

• 3 years later...

So I am trying to join the USAF right now. ABM is one of my top pics. I was hoping that former and especially current ABMs could tell me what the ops tempo (deployment cycle especially) and daily work life is like for you guys and girls.

• 11 months later...

Impropable attempt at thread resurrection:

A lot of info here has been great, but must be dated by now.

What is the ABM field looking like now with JSTARS allegedly on borrowed time, with us being out of Afghanistan/less deployments, and the increase in recent threats from near-peers like Russia and China? Are ABMs still getting a lot of action and flight time with newer technologies/space and RPA capes in existence?

Am almost a Capt and am going to apply for ABM on the next rated board.

Impropable attempt at thread resurrection:
A lot of info here has been great, but must be dated by now.
What is the ABM field looking like now with JSTARS allegedly on borrowed time, with us being out of Afghanistan/less deployments, and the increase in recent threats from near-peers like Russia and China? Are ABMs still getting a lot of action and flight time with newer technologies/space and RPA capes in existence?
Am almost a Capt and am going to apply for ABM on the next rated board.

If you are qualified and put ABM Number 1, you will get it being a volunteer. About 75% of the selects on the AD Rated Board decline it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app
  • Upvote 1