Jump to content
Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jughead

Retirement / Separation Considerations

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, MooseClub said:

If you take a move then absolutely that can/will extend your ADSC. If you choose to do that then it’s on you. However, they can’t force you to move and incur duty past your existing ADSC. It may force you to show your hand earlier than you want but if you don’t want the extra ADSC then don’t take the move. 

That checks. 

Any idea idea if I could separate from AD and return from overseas after my DEROS/ADSC expire and NOT incur any type of commitment for the move back? I think you can, since you’d be separating and they owe you that last move, correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WheelsOff said:

That checks. 

Any idea idea if I could separate from AD and return from overseas after my DEROS/ADSC expire and NOT incur any type of commitment for the move back? I think you can, since you’d be separating and they owe you that last move, correct?

To my knowledge that’s correct. They owe you one last move at the end when you separate/retire. And no, that doesn’t incur any duty. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Separate but related:

If you joined the service in Texas, and subsequently live in Texas post-service, the Hazelwood Act provides for dependent tuition if said dependent attends a state university.  Since both my wife and I are in the we can use the GI Bill for ourselves but not transfer the benefits to kids category, this was an amazing find.  

 

God bless Texas!

Edited by brickhistory
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Separate but related:
If you joined the service in Texas, and subsequently live in Texas post-service, the Hazelwood Act provides for dependent tuition if said dependent attends a state university.  Since both my wife and I are in the we can use the GI Bill for ourselves but not transfer the benefits to kids category, this was an amazing find.  
 
God bless Texas!
Oh it gets better, if you're rated disabled by the VA (it may require 100%) you don't pay any property tax. Those who know will realize this is a game changer in TX. (Very high property tax, more than you make up for state income tax). For example, my mortgage of 200k was $7200 a year of property tax.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, matmacwc said:

Oh it gets better, if you're rated disabled by the VA (it may require 100%) you don't pay any property tax. Those who know will realize this is a game changer in TX. (Very high property tax, more than you make up for state income tax). For example, my mortgage of 200k was $7200 a year of property tax.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
 

Is that a VA rating of 100% disabled or 100% permanently and totally disabled?

I’ve been told that you must be 100% permanently and totally disabled to not pay property tax in TX.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to look that up because I'm moving to Texas soon... I called to inquire and it's off the appraised value, not a tax credit (so you're still gonna pay a ton, as I understand it.)

 

What is the amount of the disabled veteran's exemption?

The exemption amount that a qualified disabled veteran receives depends on the veteran's disability rating from the branch of the armed service.

Disability Exemption
Disability Rating Exemption Amount Up To
10% to 29% $5,000 from the property's value
30% to 49% $7,500 from the property's value
50% to 69% $10,000 from the property's value
70% to 100% $12,000 from the property's value

A disabled veteran may also qualify for an exemption of $12,000 of the assessed value of the property if the veteran is age 65 or older with a disability rating of at least 10 percent; totally blind in one or both eyes; or has lost use of one or more limbs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I’m 100%, I should be running to TX but there’s nowhere there I really want to live.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, matmacwc said:

Oh it gets better, if you're rated disabled by the VA (it may require 100%) you don't pay any property tax. Those who know will realize this is a game changer in TX. (Very high property tax, more than you make up for state income tax). For example, my mortgage of 200k was $7200 a year of property tax.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
 

What do you have to be to be eligible for no property tax?

After reading the disabled veteran’s exemption, mine would currently be $10k from the appraised value.  I’m expecting more disability when I’m officially done with my military service but that still only shows $12k off. 

Does a 100% VA disability rating make you eligible to pay no property tax in TX?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, matmacwc said:

Yeah, I’m 100%, I should be running to TX but there’s nowhere there I really want to live.

Florida is the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Tank said:

What do you have to be to be eligible for no property tax?

After reading the disabled veteran’s exemption, mine would currently be $10k from the appraised value.  I’m expecting more disability when I’m officially done with my military service but that still only shows $12k off. 

Does a 100% VA disability rating make you eligible to pay no property tax in TX?

See 2 posts above yours, I haven’t read anything above 12K, P&T might be 100%.  And congrats, I might have saved you almost $1K a month.

Edited by matmacwc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I called and it’s off appraised value... so if your place appraised for $300k for tax purposes, it will only be 288k after your discount. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I had a separation date set and deployed less than 6 months from that date. Returned approx 6 weeks later and started terminal within 5 days. 2014 timeframe from CVS so YMMV. No idea on the regs because no one tried to stop me, they just have me weird looks as I simultaneously ran pre-deployment and Air Force outprocessing checklists 🤷‍♂️


Still valid. I returned from deployment in late May, I’m in TAP this week and starting terminal July 3.
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...