Jughead

Retirement / Separation Considerations

Is RDD (req delivery date) and RNLT the same thing?

5.3 says you need 12 months TOS after first training or RDD to be eligible for a 365....

Thanks. I have plenty of deployment recency but my STRD is waaaay old.

Any 11F’s know the forecast for 365’s? I heard via rumor they were being reduced and mainly only for cc’s. Truth?

I have a 14 month window where if I’m tagged, I can’t say no. After that I can 3 day opt. Damn bonus adsc.

From my recent details down range the only 11Fs were from the 81st (179ers) or command billets(group/wing).

I’ll look it up tomorrow at work, but does anyone know how far out you can (or must) apply for separation? Is it 6 months?

4 hours ago, Warrior said:

I’ll look it up tomorrow at work, but does anyone know how far out you can (or must) apply for separation? Is it 6 months?

Answer to this should be a banner on the front of the forum.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 year last I checked. I think the risk setting a date that far out is they have plenty of time to tag you for that shitty 179. I’m still wondering where the sweet spot is, 8-9 months?

15 hours ago, Warrior said:

You can apply no earlier than 12 months out and no later than 4 months out from your requested retirement/separation date. 

Edited by Hunter Rose

Meh, I applied for separation mid-July with a separation date of 30 Sep (2.5 months out) and it was approved.  Only thing was the VMPF thingy said it needed WG/CC approval if within 6 months. He must have approved. Sep orders in-hand a week later.

AFI 36-3207 is where you're looking for all this.  I honestly couldn't find the specific verbiage that says apply no earlier than 12 month prior to DOS...but I didn't look too hard.

AF FORM 780 is what it looks like you fill out, and it looks like you'll have to read 36-3207 in order to fill that out correctly.

BREAK BREAK

Found this fun bit in 36-3203

2.1.2.1. A member may start receiving reserve retired pay before age 60 if the member performed qualifying active duty service after January 28, 2008. The member may reduce the age by three months for each aggregate of 90 days on which the member performs qualifying duty in any fiscal year. Qualifying duty includes members who serve on an order to active duty pursuant to 10 USC §12301(d) but does not include AGR

Does that mean if I separate and go to the reserves with 10 years of AD time between 28 Jan 08 and separation, and then close out my retirement in the reserves, I can get my reserve retirement at 50 (because I spent 10 years AD after 2008 before going to the reserves)?  I didn't see anything in there saying I had to serve that AD time FROM the reserves...unless the verbiage "on an order to active duty pursuant to 10 USC §12301(d)" excludes that.  This could make the reserves an even better option.

AFI 36-3207 is where you're looking for all this.  I honestly couldn't find the specific verbiage that says apply no earlier than 12 month prior to DOS...but I didn't look too hard.
AF FORM 780 is what it looks like you fill out, and it looks like you'll have to read 36-3207 in order to fill that out correctly.
BREAK BREAK
Found this fun bit in 36-3203
2.1.2.1. A member may start receiving reserve retired pay before age 60 if the member performed qualifying active duty service after January 28, 2008. The member may reduce the age by three months for each aggregate of 90 days on which the member performs qualifying duty in any fiscal year. Qualifying duty includes members who serve on an order to active duty pursuant to 10 USC §12301(d) but does not include AGR
Does that mean if I separate and go to the reserves with 10 years of AD time between 28 Jan 08 and separation, and then close out my retirement in the reserves, I can get my reserve retirement at 50 (because I spent 10 years AD after 2008 before going to the reserves)?  I didn't see anything in there saying I had to serve that AD time FROM the reserves...unless the verbiage "on an order to active duty pursuant to 10 USC §12301(d)" excludes that.  This could make the reserves an even better option.

No. Maybe try googling 12301d. You’ll find your answer in about 10 seconds.
  • Upvote 1