Retirement / Separation Considerations

Jughead

7 hours ago, pcola said:

I’m regular. And am aware of the high 36, but that’s the same whether my retiree ID says Maj or Lt Col which is what I meant when I said it makes no difference. Aside from $, is there any other considerations I might be missing? For instance, if I ever returned to AD, would it be as O-4 or O-5?

It is not the same. It's ~$50 less per month or ~$600 less per year, but yes it's similar. As for the rank question if you are recalled from Retirement:

Commentary from the Rand Corp:

10 U.S. Code § 689: Officers are ordered to active duty in their retired grade.... ...Officers who served in a grade higher than their retired grade may be ordered to active duty in that higher grade.... They are treated as if they were promoted to that higher grade while on that tour of duty, and may retire at that higher grade if they satisfactorily serve a total of 36 months. Officers who are promoted to a higher grade while ordered to active duty may retire in that higher grade if they satisfactorily serve for at least six months in that grade.

• Like 1

I’m regular. And am aware of the high 36, but that’s the same whether my retiree ID says Maj or Lt Col which is what I meant when I said it makes no difference. Aside from $, is there any other considerations I might be missing? For instance, if I ever returned to AD, would it be as O-4 or O-5?

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app
Don't think the retired rank really matters until O-6, and only if you want to be treated as a DV in retirement (get that sweet DV suite at the AF Inns)

44 minutes ago, jazzdude said:
10 hours ago, pcola said:

Don't think the retired rank really matters until O-6, and only if you want to be treated as a DV in retirement (get that sweet DV suite at the AF Inns)

Or that sweet parking spot in front of the BX, Commissary and Club...

16 hours ago, pcola said:

AFPC addressed this question in their last officer retirements webinar.  It’ll be high 36 for pay, major printed on your ID card, and Lt Col printed on your dd214.  If you’ve done at least two years as a Lt Col, you can apply for a secaf waiver to have it printed on your ID card. 

• Like 1

They usually don’t say “chief and up”, just chief. Some 2LT is going to take this advice and learn a hard lesson about the difference between rank and authority.
Mainly because the officer corps abdicated that authority.

Get rid of the E-9 parking spots (I'll give a pass here for the E-club). Want a parking spot? Commission and make O-6.

ETA: Want any DV treatment? Commission and make O-6
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mcbush said:

They usually don’t say “chief and up”, just chief. Some 2LT is going to take this advice and learn a hard lesson about the difference between rank and authority.

Legit had a Lt that parked in "General Officer" spots because she thought it meant "any."

• Like 2

Legit had a Lt that parked in "General Officer" spots because she thought it meant "any."
Absolutely hilarious, classic dumb 2LT shenanigans.

Though I'll say that at least one GO or DV parking spot should be fair game at the O-club for LTs, since just about everyone one of them has gotten rid of the LT spot by the door. (Last time I saw one was at Maxwell, and that was several years ago).

Then again, don't think many LTs are going to the o-club on a Friday night anymore...

Absolutely hilarious, classic dumb 2LT shenanigans.

Though I'll say that at least one GO or DV parking spot should be fair game at the O-club for LTs, since just about everyone one of them has gotten rid of the LT spot by the door. (Last time I saw one was at Maxwell, and that was several years ago).

Then again, don't think many LTs are going to the o-club on a Friday night anymore...

My favorite parking spot is at NAS Pensacola’s O-Club. Sign reads “Any ENSIGN or 2d Lt”. Best part is it’s right next to the commander of the Blue Angels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My favorite parking spot is at NAS Pensacola’s O-Club. Sign reads “Any ENSIGN or 2d Lt”. Best part is it’s right next to the commander of the Blue Angels.

Used to be pretty standard at o-clubs, best parking spot was the 2LT spot. Though it wasn't entirely free to park there...

O-Club traditions are live and well at Pensacola. Any guy/gal who went through there in the past 15 years has fond memories of that place. Their bartender’s nickname is “Cougar” for several obvious reasons.

O-Club traditions are live and well at Pensacola. Any guy/gal who went through there in the past 15 years has fond memories of that place. Their bartender’s nickname is “Cougar” for several obvious reasons.

Only went there for lunch when I was in the area... Too far of a hike from Whiting, and if you're going to make the drive in a Friday night as an LT, might as well go elsewhere in town. Sounds like I missed out. Maybe next assignment...

7 hours ago, jazzdude said:
8 hours ago, CDAWG said:

Only went there for lunch when I was in the area... Too far of a hike from Whiting, and if you're going to make the drive in a Friday night as an LT, might as well go elsewhere in town. Sounds like I missed out. Maybe next assignment...

Man, did you miss out.  That club was packed on Friday nights, from old WWII and Vietnam pilots to the current crop of instructors to students at all phases of training.

It was a wild time.

• Like 1

Man, did you miss out.  That club was packed on Friday nights, from old WWII and Vietnam pilots to the current crop of instructors to students at all phases of training.
It was a wild time.
Man, the things I wish LT me knew at the time...

Though the Florida panhandle is on the potential retirement locations list for when I get there (and high up on my assignment dream sheet), so hopefully the pandemic doesn't kill that tradition.

1 hour ago, MyCS said:

I'm thinking when they cut my retirement orders I'll receive BAH for the area I'm moving to on terminal leave. Google sent me down the wrong path. Finance just set me straight and told me "HELL NAW” it doesn't work that way. 

How did you make it 20 years in the military? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MyCS said:

I'm thinking when they cut my retirement orders I'll receive BAH for the area I'm moving to on terminal leave. Google sent me down the wrong path. Finance just set me straight and told me "HELL NAW” it doesn't work that way. 

I don't know why you thought that would work.

Do you usually get BAH for the areas you take leave to?

The government pays to move you to your final ETS or HOR. What's a few months BAH.
I mean you don't have to outprocess your base to take regular leave like you do for terminal leave.
You have to outprocess your base of origin for terminal leave. Providing you with BAH at your destination after you have already outprocessesd your base of origin makes sense to me. Not to mention you're on orders.
BAH is only tied to PCS orders.

Pretty sure you are still technically assigned to the j it until your date of retirement which means your BAH stays.

• Upvote 1

Question for you all. When I'm done with my current assignment (MWS IP) I will have 18 years TAFMS (I currently have 15 years in, just got here). I want to get back to my last base and finish my 20 out (also in my MWS). However, I'm at an OCONUS location, and the ADSC to PCS OCONUS to CONUS is only 12 months, so I THINK they can send me anywhere. UPT no longer requires an ADSC but I don't know if they would send me there with only 2 years left (would still need to do PIT and all that). 

My question is, do I have any say in my final assignment, other than requesting it and hoping for the best? Is there any consideration given to your final assignment before retirement? It seems sanctuary only applies to ANG/ARC, not active duty (from the regs I've been looking at) so I won't have the ability to opt out of another assignment...I don't think. Ideas?