Retirement / Separation Considerations

Jughead

The PTDY is not authorized for voluntary separation. Only “for a pre-separation or retirement relocation activity such as job or residence search and is eligible under AFI 36-3009, Airman and Family Readiness Centers, as a: (1) Voluntary separation incentive separatee. (2) Special separation benefits separatee. (3) Involuntary separatee (including “for cause” separatees eligible under AFI 36-3009). (4) Retiree”

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pcola said:

I believe you will accrue leave while on terminal leave as well, so you’ll accrue 5 days in Oct/Nov. Also I believe you should be eligible for 20 days of job hunting PTDY

I'm all for sticking it to the man, but I don't think I could ask for 21 days PTDY leading up to a 106 day block of leave with a straight face.  My CC would probably get a good kick out of it too.

9 hours ago, ThreeHoler said:

The PTDY is not authorized for voluntary separation. Only “for a pre-separation or retirement relocation activity such as job or residence search and is eligible under AFI 36-3009, Airman and Family Readiness Centers, as a: (1) Voluntary separation incentive separatee. (2) Special separation benefits separatee. (3) Involuntary separatee (including “for cause” separatees eligible under AFI 36-3009). (4) Retiree”

Copy, that was my understanding of the AFI. I’ve heard of people getting PTDY approved, but it’s probably be doing done incorrectly and I wouldn’t want to gamble that down the road some FSS dude notices and now I’m charged for leave I was planning to take terminal with. 

20 hours ago, BADFNZ said:

I'm all for sticking it to the man, but I don't think I could ask for 21 days PTDY leading up to a 106 day block of leave with a straight face.  My CC would probably get a good kick out of it too.

If you’re entitled to it, do it. Make your CC say no. Or take it a week before your terminal starts. 

• Upvote 1

Sadly I think it depends on the finance troop you happen to get that day when they calculate your time.

Palace Front/Chase is an incentive program IMO (not that my opinion matters) so you should get PTDY for that. Never hurts to act like you know what you’re talking about and making them say no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The implementation of the PTDY rules are fuzzy. How many times have you checked into a new unit after PCS and been given the 10 days PTDY for house hunting even if you already had a house? For me it was every single assignment. I had zero issues asking for the 20 days for separation, and my CC was happy to approve it as long as I cited that rule in the reg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Long time listener first time caller.....sometimes the level 3 SME behind the desk hasn't read all the program AFIs in existence(there are a lot).  Expect some push back ...unless you have a large R/NG presence on the base.  My interactions with the Bobs is that they tend toward laziness and retribution when you show them what a simple google search can find in 5 minutes. 

Take a look at AFI 36-3205 Palace Front and Chase as well as AFI 36-3003. 

https://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_a1/publication/afi36-3205/afi36-3205.pdf

36-3205....Ch 1 and Ch 2. 

1.4.16. Notify applicant’s unit commander, after the tentative separation approval, when ANGUS or USAFR unit requires an interview. Seven days of permissive TDY are permitted for ARC job inter-views when required. Tentative approval means approved pending verification of ARC position avail-ability. Application will be disapproved if no assignment vacancy is available.

2.2.6. Notifies PALACE FRONT applicant’s unit commander when ARC unit requires an interview.Seven days of permissive TDY are permitted for job interviews.

36-3003.....Table 4.5 rule 7.....

to participate in AF programs or opportunities which further an Airman’s professional development and/or enhance an Airman’s understandingand value to the AF, including but not limited to professional tests, examinations, licenses/certifications and interviews; to attend national conventions hosted by service-connected organizations, wing advisory council orientation trips, and ProfessionalMilitary Education graduations as an immediate supervisor or designated rep; and to perform emergency duties as members of the Civil Air Patrol.

Note:Refer to AFI 36-3205 for details on AFR and ANG interviews.

4.2.3.2.13.When a specific time period is not provided for in Table 4.5:

4.2.3.2.13.2.Wing Commanders or equivalent commanders in the grade of colonel and above are authorized to approve, when the period of absence is 30 days or less.

Fun fact....3003 from 2012 used to have an explicit statement in its own row under the old Table 7 that stated interviews for USAFR/ANG and it stated 7 days.  Per the 2019 versions that time was removed from the new table 4.5 and simply refers back to the 36-3205. 

Maybe if we just simplified the leave rules to 2 pages we could save some manpower and convert them to mx so our jets fly.  Additional outside reading if you're bored.... Army Regulation 600–8–10....still wordy but a little easier then our diagram of PPT charts that we like to throw into every AFI.  

Sooooo feel free to weigh in on that.....just going to slow fade back into the treeline. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hypothetical situation here...say I know a guy, let’s call him “Danger”, who planned to separate and go to the airlines before some guy in Wuhan decided to eat a bat and give the whole world the plague. The AF approved his separation but now he’s having second thoughts. Is it possible to move that date back/remove it and stay AD for awhile? What about signing a 1 year bonus? Is that even a thing for pilots?

Hypothetical situation here...say I know a guy, let’s call him “Danger”, who planned to separate and go to the airlines before some guy in Wuhan decided to eat a bat and give the whole world the plague. The AF approved his separation but now he’s having second thoughts. Is it possible to move that date back/remove it and stay AD for awhile? What about signing a 1 year bonus? Is that even a thing for pilots?

I do know of guys who have cancelled a separation request or had it adjusted to the right. So it’s definitely possible!

6 minutes ago, Danger41 said:

On the separations page of vMPF there was a disclaimer about only being able to delay/change/withdraw separation for certain circumstances. Will look tomorrow to confirm accuracy of my words and reg associated. 

1 hour ago, Danger41 said:

Hypothetical situation here...say I know a guy, let’s call him “Danger”, who planned to separate and go to the airlines before some guy in Wuhan decided to eat a bat and give the whole world the plague. The AF approved his separation but now he’s having second thoughts.

A CORVID-19 induced "STOP-LOSS" might due the trick :<)

Your dealing with separations and retirements, not the retention part of AFPC.  If they respond no, then their work stops.  If they say yes, then they have to do something. 

Outside of the snarky answer, you need to have someone at the Wg/CC level or higher engaging for you.  The reg says something about requiring reasons not common to most airmen to withdraw a retirement.  It's written vague enough that it could mean whatever the Air Force wants it to mean.   I got a "don't let the door hit you on the way out" answer from them last year on extending a retirement, and decided not to fight it.  Separating may have different regs governing, so it doesn't hurt to ask, but be prepared go a couple rounds on this one. 

I’m in the same boat brother.  What a difference a week makes.  The thing that makes me mad is if the AF does retain me, it’ll be through no effort of their own.

• Like 1