Retirement / Separation Considerations

Jughead

15 hours ago, MooseClub said:

If you take a move then absolutely that can/will extend your ADSC. If you choose to do that then it’s on you. However, they can’t force you to move and incur duty past your existing ADSC. It may force you to show your hand earlier than you want but if you don’t want the extra ADSC then don’t take the move. 

That checks. 

Any idea idea if I could separate from AD and return from overseas after my DEROS/ADSC expire and NOT incur any type of commitment for the move back? I think you can, since you’d be separating and they owe you that last move, correct?

2 hours ago, WheelsOff said:

That checks. 

Any idea idea if I could separate from AD and return from overseas after my DEROS/ADSC expire and NOT incur any type of commitment for the move back? I think you can, since you’d be separating and they owe you that last move, correct?

To my knowledge that’s correct. They owe you one last move at the end when you separate/retire. And no, that doesn’t incur any duty. 

Separate but related:

If you joined the service in Texas, and subsequently live in Texas post-service, the Hazelwood Act provides for dependent tuition if said dependent attends a state university.  Since both my wife and I are in the we can use the GI Bill for ourselves but not transfer the benefits to kids category, this was an amazing find.  

God bless Texas!

Edited by brickhistory
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Separate but related:
If you joined the service in Texas, and subsequently live in Texas post-service, the Hazelwood Act provides for dependent tuition if said dependent attends a state university.  Since both my wife and I are in the we can use the GI Bill for ourselves but not transfer the benefits to kids category, this was an amazing find.  

God bless Texas!
Oh it gets better, if you're rated disabled by the VA (it may require 100%) you don't pay any property tax. Those who know will realize this is a game changer in TX. (Very high property tax, more than you make up for state income tax). For example, my mortgage of 200k was $7200 a year of property tax.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, matmacwc said:

Oh it gets better, if you're rated disabled by the VA (it may require 100%) you don't pay any property tax. Those who know will realize this is a game changer in TX. (Very high property tax, more than you make up for state income tax). For example, my mortgage of 200k was $7200 a year of property tax.

Is that a VA rating of 100% disabled or 100% permanently and totally disabled?

I’ve been told that you must be 100% permanently and totally disabled to not pay property tax in TX.  

I had to look that up because I'm moving to Texas soon... I called to inquire and it's off the appraised value, not a tax credit (so you're still gonna pay a ton, as I understand it.)

What is the amount of the disabled veteran's exemption?

The exemption amount that a qualified disabled veteran receives depends on the veteran's disability rating from the branch of the armed service.

Disability Exemption
Disability Rating Exemption Amount Up To
10% to 29% $5,000 from the property's value
30% to 49% $7,500 from the property's value
50% to 69% $10,000 from the property's value
70% to 100% $12,000 from the property's value

A disabled veteran may also qualify for an exemption of $12,000 of the assessed value of the property if the veteran is age 65 or older with a disability rating of at least 10 percent; totally blind in one or both eyes; or has lost use of one or more limbs.

22 hours ago, matmacwc said:

What do you have to be to be eligible for no property tax?

After reading the disabled veteran’s exemption, mine would currently be $10k from the appraised value.  I’m expecting more disability when I’m officially done with my military service but that still only shows $12k off. 

Does a 100% VA disability rating make you eligible to pay no property tax in TX?

7 hours ago, Tank said:

What do you have to be to be eligible for no property tax?

After reading the disabled veteran’s exemption, mine would currently be $10k from the appraised value.  I’m expecting more disability when I’m officially done with my military service but that still only shows $12k off. 

Does a 100% VA disability rating make you eligible to pay no property tax in TX?

See 2 posts above yours, I haven’t read anything above 12K, P&T might be 100%.  And congrats, I might have saved you almost $1K a month.

Edited by matmacwc

I had a separation date set and deployed less than 6 months from that date. Returned approx 6 weeks later and started terminal within 5 days. 2014 timeframe from CVS so YMMV. No idea on the regs because no one tried to stop me, they just have me weird looks as I simultaneously ran pre-deployment and Air Force outprocessing checklists 🤷‍♂️

Still valid. I returned from deployment in late May, I’m in TAP this week and starting terminal July 3.
  • Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

I'm planning to sell/back my leave when I separate this fall. I understand you can only sell back 60 days and any use/lose you have beyond that can't be sold back. My question is, can you use that use/lose as terminal leave and still sell back the 60? E.G., if my date of sep is 23 September and I have 40 days of use/lose by then, can I final out on 13 August?

On 7/12/2018 at 10:03 PM, sixpack said:

I wished my leadership was that forgiving but i've already been told in no uncertain terms that the OG will not deal with terrorists and the orders will stick.  They're forcing my hand regardless of my wishes.   

sixpack, curious how it all played out for you? i'm in a similar situation

15 hours ago, BashiChuni said:

sixpack, curious how it all played out for you? i'm in a similar situation

Ended up going on the deployment.  Got back and min ran anything office related. Flew as much as I could to make up the hours I missed out on and now I am retired.  Missing out on 6 months of IP time certainly has hurt my chances at flying for a major however I have a pretty good job lined up.  Check of the month club is a good thing!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, sixpack said:

Ended up going on the deployment.  Got back and min ran anything office related. Flew as much as I could to make up the hours I missed out on and now I am retired.  Missing out on 6 months of IP time certainly has hurt my chances at flying for a major however I have a pretty good job lined up.  Check of the month club is a good thing!

Yeah buddy. Scratching tick marks on the wall until then myself. Congratulations on getting to AD retirement! 

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

Like many others, I’m trying to maximize my terminal leave, and my wife is due with our child in August. Can someone check my math on this and correct me if I’m wrong?

Official separation date - 12 Dec

60 days of terminal - 12 Oct

21 days daddy leave - 21 September 

25 days use/lose - approximately 27 August

What am I missing? 

Edited by Skyryder

Thanks for the reply. In my situation since 12 October is only 12 days after the new FY begins I would only accrue of 2.5 days of new leave. I’m trying to avoid taking 21 days baby leave + 25 days of use/lose PRIOR to the end of the Fiscal Year 2020, THEN having to come back to work for 12 days before taking 60 days of official terminal leave. 

Essentially I want to string all 106 days together (60 days terminal, 25 days use/lose, 21 days baby leave)  ultimately leading up to my 09 December separation date. Because these 106 days span over the fiscal year change I’m not sure how that would work, and shockingly no one at MPF or Finance seems to know either.

This is very significant because it could change my availability date for my civilian job by nearly 2 months. 

This scenario seems reasonable, and my original post appears to be the ONLY logical order of stringing these dates together, but I don’t know how to verify if it is valid or not. 

59 minutes ago, pcola said:

I believe you will accrue leave while on terminal leave as well, so you’ll accrue 5 days in Oct/Nov. Also I believe you should be eligible for 20 days of job hunting PTDY

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Yes, you continue to accrue 2.5 days/month while on leave. 

21 days permissive (Cc’s discretion) for job hunting as well. You also accrue leave during those 21 days. 

• Like 2