Retirement / Separation Considerations

Jughead

Thanks. I have plenty of deployment recency but my STRD is waaaay old.

Any 11F’s know the forecast for 365’s? I heard via rumor they were being reduced and mainly only for cc’s. Truth?

I have a 14 month window where if I’m tagged, I can’t say no. After that I can 3 day opt. Damn bonus adsc.

From my recent details down range the only 11Fs were from the 81st (179ers) or command billets(group/wing).

4 hours ago, Warrior said:

I’ll look it up tomorrow at work, but does anyone know how far out you can (or must) apply for separation? Is it 6 months?

Answer to this should be a banner on the front of the forum.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Warrior said:

I’ll look it up tomorrow at work, but does anyone know how far out you can (or must) apply for separation? Is it 6 months?

You can apply no earlier than 12 months out and no later than 4 months out from your requested retirement/separation date. 

Edited by Hunter Rose

Meh, I applied for separation mid-July with a separation date of 30 Sep (2.5 months out) and it was approved.  Only thing was the VMPF thingy said it needed WG/CC approval if within 6 months. He must have approved. Sep orders in-hand a week later.

AFI 36-3207 is where you're looking for all this.  I honestly couldn't find the specific verbiage that says apply no earlier than 12 month prior to DOS...but I didn't look too hard.

AF FORM 780 is what it looks like you fill out, and it looks like you'll have to read 36-3207 in order to fill that out correctly.

BREAK BREAK

Found this fun bit in 36-3203

2.1.2.1. A member may start receiving reserve retired pay before age 60 if the member performed qualifying active duty service after January 28, 2008. The member may reduce the age by three months for each aggregate of 90 days on which the member performs qualifying duty in any fiscal year. Qualifying duty includes members who serve on an order to active duty pursuant to 10 USC §12301(d) but does not include AGR

Does that mean if I separate and go to the reserves with 10 years of AD time between 28 Jan 08 and separation, and then close out my retirement in the reserves, I can get my reserve retirement at 50 (because I spent 10 years AD after 2008 before going to the reserves)?  I didn't see anything in there saying I had to serve that AD time FROM the reserves...unless the verbiage "on an order to active duty pursuant to 10 USC §12301(d)" excludes that.  This could make the reserves an even better option.

AFI 36-3207 is where you're looking for all this.  I honestly couldn't find the specific verbiage that says apply no earlier than 12 month prior to DOS...but I didn't look too hard.
AF FORM 780 is what it looks like you fill out, and it looks like you'll have to read 36-3207 in order to fill that out correctly.
BREAK BREAK
Found this fun bit in 36-3203
2.1.2.1. A member may start receiving reserve retired pay before age 60 if the member performed qualifying active duty service after January 28, 2008. The member may reduce the age by three months for each aggregate of 90 days on which the member performs qualifying duty in any fiscal year. Qualifying duty includes members who serve on an order to active duty pursuant to 10 USC §12301(d) but does not include AGR
Does that mean if I separate and go to the reserves with 10 years of AD time between 28 Jan 08 and separation, and then close out my retirement in the reserves, I can get my reserve retirement at 50 (because I spent 10 years AD after 2008 before going to the reserves)?  I didn't see anything in there saying I had to serve that AD time FROM the reserves...unless the verbiage "on an order to active duty pursuant to 10 USC §12301(d)" excludes that.  This could make the reserves an even better option.

No. Maybe try googling 12301d. You’ll find your answer in about 10 seconds.

• 2 months later...
On 7/13/2018 at 3:09 PM, Hunter Rose said:

Your bro may have been screwed in the past, but that is not what the current AFI 31- 2110 says.

As of 26 Jan 18, Table 5.2.  365-day Extended Deployment Declinations/3-Day Options states if you have 19 yrs TAFMS as of notification date or RDD of a 365 you may request a retirement and opt out of the 365.

AFPC could deny your retirement request and send you on the 365  but you are not getting separated instead of retired.   After 19 yrs TAFMS your two options are establish a retirement date or AFPC denies your retirement request and deploys you.  

If you have less than 19 yrs TAFMS as of notification date or RDD of the 365, you may request separation and if approved would not get a retirement.

(Forgive me I quoted above Figure 5.2 instead of Table 5.2 that replaced it.)

As for getting out as soon as you can no argument there.  Bottom line, until you have an established retirement date the power to let you retire or deploy you is still the AF's decision.

Haven't read the whole reg, yet. New one is out dated 5 Oct 2018:  Table is now 7.2 (line 3, Lt Col and below).  Same effect, slightly different verbiage?

(http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_a1/publication/afi36-2110/afi36-2110.pdf):

Airmen may request a retirement date which is not later than the first day of the 7th month following 365-day extended deployment notification  date (mo/yr),

OR,

the first day of the month upon completion of 20 years TAFMS,

OR,

the first day of the month after completion of Active Duty Service Commitment, whichever is later

I show up at my new base and met my CC. It's a non flying gig I really wanted because it's a sweet job in a great spot. My new CC was told that Lt Col was in the bag. He received word a few months ago for this past board. When you are special, you are special I guess. And if he ever needed anything, he name dropped GO ###. All I could do was smile and say cool. I felt really awkward to say the least. My promotion board for next year came up and I haven't done ACSC via correspondence. My CC was like I didn't do it either and people who have to do it twice were miserable at ACSC. I wanted to say I'm never doing it and going to retire in 2020, but I bit my tongue. (Never show your cards.) Then the CC said he knows I want his job next! I almost died laughing. All I need are 2 hots and a cot until I retire. 

2 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I show up at my new base and met my CC. It's a non flying gig I really wanted because it's a sweet job in a great spot. My new CC was told that Lt Col was in the bag. He received word a few months ago for this past board. When you are special, you are special I guess. And if he ever needed anything, he name dropped GO ###. All I could do was smile and say cool. I felt really awkward to say the least. My promotion board for next year came up and I haven't done ACSC via correspondence. My CC was like I didn't do it either and people who have to do it twice were miserable at ACSC. I wanted to say I'm never doing it and going to retire in 2020, but I bit my tongue. (Never show your cards.) Then the CC said he knows I want his job next! I almost died laughing. All I need are 2 hots and a cot until I retire. 

ACSC in correspondence is useless....

Glad to hear there are a few out there that have written it off also.

ACSC in correspondence is useless....
Glad to hear there are a few out there that have written it off also.

Is it worth it to make O-5 in the guard/reserve? An extra couple hundred a month seems like it would be worth a few tests and BS papers.

I still haven’t been able to motivate myself to complete the second module.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, MooseAg03 said:

Is it worth it to make O-5 in the guard/reserve? An extra couple hundred a month seems like it would be worth a few tests and BS papers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d like to see everyone in a bag kick it to the curb. If no pilot does it then the problem is fixed. 

I know it’s almost impossible with all the knee pad wearing careerists out there but maybe the few remaining bros can fight for the right.....

3 hours ago, MooseAg03 said:

You have to complete ACSC, then you have to wait on your ROPMA (assuming you're not applying for a unit vacancy), then you have to wait on your pin on date, then you need 3 years time in grade, then you wait to age 58-60 for an extra $400 or whatever it's worth 20 years from now.

From a purely financial perspective, If you're working an average civilian job, it's worth it. But, if you currently hold a job at a major airline, the amount of extra money you could make between now and the time you get 3 years time in grade far exceeds the difference in your retirement paycheck.

The NDS:

Professional Military Education (PME). PME has stagnated, focused more on the accomplishment of mandatory credit at the expense of lethality and ingenuity. We will emphasize intellectual leadership and military professionalism in the art and science of warfighting, deepening our knowledge of history while embracing new technology and techniques to counter competitors. PME will emphasize independence of action in warfighting concepts to lessen the impact of degraded/lost communications in combat. PME is to be used as a strategic asset to build trust and interoperability across the Joint Forces and with allied and partner forces.

https://dod.defense.gov/Portals/1/Documents/pubs/2018-National-Defense-Strategy-Summary.pdf

They had me dis-enrolling after the first sentence, seems like fraud, waste, and abuse otherwise.  Everything else is a more wishful use of "will", meaning it hasn't happened yet (and we all know that it won't)...  at least they've identified the problem.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

How far out do you have to tell the Air Force you will be done at your 20 year mark? A year...few months...etc? I know you have to submit a MyPers request so they can look over your record to ensure you are in fact eligible for retirement. 

365 to 120 days out.  I'd err closer to 365 to minimize 1 year deployment buffoonery.  The MyPers approval took about 3 weeks, so don't believe the timelines on the website. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NKAWTG said:

365 to 120 days out.  I'd err closer to 365 to minimize 1 year deployment buffoonery.  The MyPers approval took about 3 weeks, so don't believe the timelines on the website. 

This is why I specifically asked this question and it's the best advice ever: "Don't believe the timelines on the website."

On 10/22/2018 at 10:19 PM, NKAWTG said:

365 from your official retirement date or is it 365 days from your last day of work (accounting for terminal, PTDY, etc.)?