Retirement / Separation Considerations

Jughead

Wow thanks guys that is good info...I had no idea that you could no longer 3 day opt out for some of these deployments...if not all of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

IIRC, you can still 3-day opt a 365...but an AEF 179 is a different issue. Sorry I wasn't more precise.

If you get pushed into one and only have 30 days when you return it will probably impact your ability to take terminal etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

• 11 months later...

Gents, digging this one up for some SA and latest guidance.  Just got tagged a 220+ air advisor deployment and trying to find my options.  ADSC is up in October, retirement eligible Jan 2020.  I'd rather separate than take this one.  Is it even possible to 3 day opt at this point if i already got notified?  

Gents, digging this one up for some SA and latest guidance.  Just got tagged a 220+ air advisor deployment and trying to find my options.  ADSC is up in October, retirement eligible Jan 2020.  I'd rather separate than take this one.  Is it even possible to 3 day opt at this point if i already got notified?  

Just how bad is this Air advisor deployment that you’re going to forgo a retirement at 18.5 years?

59 minutes ago, ihtfp06 said:

Just how bad is this Air advisor deployment that you’re going to forgo a retirement at 18.5 years?

I'd rather separate and get an airline gig and hope to get hired on with a guard unit to finish my 20 than to waste away in the desert for another 7 months.  YMMV but i've done enough deployments in my time to know when it's worth it and it's not.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

True dat. Just finish your 20 years six-pack. Your plan sounds good just like being a good wingman who is drunk and takes the grenade for your boys. But you will have to wake up next to her in the morning and definitely regret the poor decision you made. Or she could make you a delicious Belgian waffle breakfast and then you kick her out. See, there may always be an upside to certain circumstances if you think about the bright side.

Edited by HarleyQuinn

2 hours ago, sixpack said:

Doesn't the notification letter have a place that states decline?

20 minutes ago, Homestar said:

Doesn't the notification letter have a place that states decline?

Don't know yet man.  Just got back from a trip this morning, woke up and had a call from the CC.  Still on post mission so no papers in hand yet.  More to follow tomorrow.  Apparently they knew days ago but waited till i got back from overseas to tell me. 🙄  Purpose for this post is trying to find the regs governing a deployment without ADSC and separating.  I've been combing thru the 36-2110 but don't think it applies to a 179+

Edited by sixpack

1 hour ago, sixpack said:

I'd rather separate and get an airline gig and hope to get hired on with a guard unit to finish my 20 than to waste away in the desert for another 7 months.  YMMV but i've done enough deployments in my time to know when it's worth it and it's not.  

If you’ve done enough deployments how are you getting tagged?

different strokes for different folks, I sought mine out. Granted, not a pilot so my situation is different?

Cooter

37 minutes ago, Cooter said:

If you’ve done enough deployments how are you getting tagged?

different strokes for different folks, I sought mine out. Granted, not a pilot so my situation is different?

Cooter

Our OG keeps a tracker for 179/365's.  Last I looked the previous month i was in the lower 50% for 179s and in the bottom 10% for 365s out of 30ish folks eligible.  With 8 deployments, over 3 years overseas TDY/deployed and a STRD of 2012 i'm still scratching my head how i'm short man on the totem pole.  

Edited by sixpack

17 minutes ago, sixpack said:

Our OG keeps a tracker for 179/365's.  Last I looked the previous month i was in the lower 50% for 179s and in the bottom 10% for 365s out of 30ish folks eligible.  With 8 deployments, over 3 years overseas TDY/deployed and a STRD of 2012 i'm still scratching my head how i'm short man on the totem pole.  

I know you mentioned this was for a 220 day deployment...but I know 365 day deployments are handled by AFPC/HAF, which means all your local leadership can do is make phone calls and put in for a reclama.

It may be worthwhile to call your CC and:

A-make sure you haven’t officially been notified. If the clock is running you need to act. If you haven’t been officially notified you have time. 

B-drop the “hint,” in no uncertain terms, that you plan to 3-day opt if you are officially notified. 

C-profit?

1 minute ago, HossHarris said:

It may be worthwhile to call your CC and:

A-make sure you haven’t officially been notified. If the clock is running you need to act. If you haven’t been officially notified you have time. 

B-drop the “hint,” in no uncertain terms, that you plan to 3-day opt if you are officially notified. 

C-profit?

A- Not sure if it was official since it was over the phone but sure sounded like it.

B- Check.  Did that.

C- Hope so!

4 minutes ago, HeloDude said:

I know you mentioned this was for a 220 day deployment...but I know 365 day deployments are handled by AFPC/HAF, which means all your local leadership can do is make phone calls and put in for a reclama.

Thanks for the info but i'm thinking this is a 179+ thus handled by the OG at my base.

The air advisor deployment was a 365, so the 220 is most likely the CSAF guidance to make it a 180, plus some training TDYs prior to.   I would imagine every 365 minus the command billets are going that route now.  So the 180 rules are a fair amount different.  It's assigned to a base or wing, and the local leadership gets to decide who goes.  The normal short tour return date rules don't apply. 

You're now in between a rock and a hard place.  Like everyone's said, let the CC know that you'll punch if told to go.  He can make you follow through, and give it to someone else.  Or he can let you stay, and give it to someone else.  So the CC gets to decide if he wants to lose two or more FGOs or just one.  I doubt you'll be popular with the base leadership in either case. 

As an aside, last dude I talked to who did the air advisor gig said they retired four Lt Cols before they replaced him.  

15 minutes ago, NKAWTG said:

The air advisor deployment was a 365, so the 220 is most likely the CSAF guidance to make it a 180, plus some training TDYs prior to.   I would imagine every 365 minus the command billets are going that route now.  So the 180 rules are a fair amount different.  It's assigned to a base or wing, and the local leadership gets to decide who goes.  The normal short tour return date rules don't apply. 

You're now in between a rock and a hard place.  Like everyone's said, let the CC know that you'll punch if told to go.  He can make you follow through, and give it to someone else.  Or he can let you stay, and give it to someone else.  So the CC gets to decide if he wants to lose two or more FGOs or just one.  I doubt you'll be popular with the base leadership in either case. 

As an aside, last dude I talked to who did the air advisor gig said they retired four Lt Cols before they replaced him.  

Thanks for the intel.  I was told the training was supposedly waived so I can go at the end of the month as well.  I've also got more intel from other bros about the job and it's looking like a real kick to the junk.

When I did it the air advisor and C-208 training days didn’t count toward the 365. 

It sounds like this is a tasking that your Wing was hit with and the CC tagged you. If that’s the case there’s no opt-out. You just file for separation and establish a date that is before the return date of the deployment. 

Thats my guess. 

The AFCENT CC worried to keep all rated AAs as 365s and won the battle. I don’t know if any rated AAs (at least to the ‘Stan) which are only 6 months. If it’s to Iraq there were a bunch however I heard that was shutting down. To waiver the training, it has to be approved by AFCENT I believe and they don’t like to do it. (That is unless you have done fieldcraft training recently) There’s at least 5 weeks of training. For example we had a guy who was an advisor in 16 come back this spring. We tried to get the training waived but the reg requires it every two years so he had to do it again.

If you are on a 365 you need to look at 36-2110 and check the requirements for how much time they are required to give you after a deployment before a retirement.

If your current now I'd punch and 3 day opt myself, retirement is great but assuming you get some seniority and protected from future fur-low, your airline retirement will more than make up for it, plus as you said you can sell your soul to a reserve/guard unit to finish it out.  My last deployment made me swear off any future ones and thus I made my decision to separate ASAP.  Currently getting near transition but hopes are high Ill get picked up somewhere, and worst case I'd just pick up days with the reserves to keep the $$ flowing.

Edited by DirtyFlightSuit

16 hours ago, sixpack said:

Whoa..that is a bit bizarre.  Last I heard for -365s (O-5) they were starting with guys with dates of '03 (which I don't know how that's possible) so it sounds like yours at the local level.  If it's a flying AA gig there are worse jobs from what I here.  I'm headed out at end of the month so I'll know more after that I guess!  Good luck.

Cooter

Whoa..that is a bit bizarre.  Last I heard for -365s (O-5) they were starting with guys with dates of '03 (which I don't know how that's possible) so it sounds like yours at the local level.  If it's a flying AA gig there are worse jobs from what I here.  I'm headed out at end of the month so I'll know more after that I guess!  Good luck.
Cooter

For 365s it’s most time since last 45+ day deployment now, not STRD.

1 hour ago, ihtfp06 said:

For 365s it’s most time since last 45+ day deployment now, not STRD.

Negative.  There's a reason AFPC recently sent out an email telling O-5s with a STRD of 2003 or earlier (i.e. does not have a short tour, for the most part) that they are vulnerable.  AFPC is not going to send an 18 year O-5 on a 365 who just got back on a 365 two years ago vs sending an 18 year O-5 who just got back from a 2 month deployment a year ago but has never done a short. tour.

Can anyone verify if I turn down this deployment I can still be forced to go regardless of extending past my ADSC?  CC told me that today however he didn't know the reg.  Separations folks were worthless talking to them today.  Further I still don't have any email notification of this deployment.