KC-46A Candidate Bases Announced

The semi-smart thing to do would be to give them an RT to McConnell with a KC-46 follow-on so they could just stay there.

I think that is what they did with the -141, guys then transitioned to the -17 when the airplanes came...  Of course I wonder if we will learn the other lesson that came from that transition: we got rid of the 141 well before the 17 was ready and felt the pain when we really need them during the early part of last decade.

I think that is what they did with the -141, guys then transitioned to the -17 when the airplanes came...  Of course I wonder if we will learn the other lesson that came from that transition: we got rid of the 141 well before the 17 was ready and felt the pain when we really need them during the early part of last decade.

Unfortunately, I think it will play out the same way.  Political success is much more important than temporary mission degradation, particularly in today's fiscal environment.

they had too, th -141 wings were about to fall off.

they had too, th -141 wings were about to fall off.

I've also heard that the tail cracks that caused the early swap weren't present when AMARC started scrapping them.

Buuuut, my sources are former -141 FEs & Navs. So they're bitter & biased.

Sometimes planned obsolescence doesn't go as planned, which is where subterfuge and disinformation campaigns come in.  I have no SA on the -141 drama, but it's easy to see how "we have found wing cracks on some C-141s" can turn into the one-liner "C-141s have wing cracks."

Sounds just like the way the USAF parked all the KC-135E's panicking that their engine struts were about ready to fall off, we replaced all the struts during PDM along with installing carbon fiber brakes.

Sounds just like the way the USAF parked all the KC-135E's panicking that their engine struts were about ready to fall off, we replaced all the struts during PDM along with installing carbon fiber brakes.

Now they are all sitting in the boneyard...most of them Code 1.

Anyone know if they plan on having another board for assignment to the KC-46 in the next year or if it will become available through normal assignment processes?

There will be an update to the Initial Operational Test & Evaluation PSDM soon. Then an Initial Cadre board, then it should be opened for the normal assignment process in the 2-3 year time frame.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/tabid/223/Article/626481/af-announces-kc-46a-preferred-reasonable-alternatives.aspx

Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, North Carolina, has been chosen as the preferred alternative for the first Reserve-led KC-46A Pegasus main operating base, Air Force officials announced Oct. 29. The KC-46As are expected to begin arriving in 2019.Tinker AFB, Oklahoma; Westover Air Reserve Base, Massachusetts; and Grissom ARB, Indiana, were named as the reasonable alternatives.

• Upvote 1