Guard bubba to UPT IP

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I'll bite, though with limited knowledge. At my UPT base we had an former ANG C-130 Maj or LtCol type. He told me his unit got BRAC and was picked up by the 5th FTS Spittin Kittins Reserve Squadron at Vance to be a T-6 IP. Also, durning this process he became a T-6 blue suiter. Again not much info, but there you have it, not sure if they'd hire an LT...

Shame on me for not checking the thread in a while... Prior -6/-38 stud during upt. Loved the -38, but now that I"m flying fattys is that a possibility?

Anything is possible.

On the active duty side, we are starting to see the first group of guys who flew T-38's in UPT, but dropped a C-17 on assignment night, are now at T-38 PIT enroute to a UPT base to instruct.

Cheers,

Cap-10

Anything is possible.

On the active duty side, we are starting to see the first group of guys who flew T-38's in UPT, but dropped a C-17 on assignment night, are now at T-38 PIT enroute to a UPT base to instruct.

Cheers,

Cap-10

How do people feel about this? Just curious.

Edited by Vetter

The initial reaction from the 11F guys in the squadron is a big face palm...again, the first batch is at PIT now, so we'll see in 2-3 months when they are done.

We have had some issues with the one assignment bomber guys that barely made AC before showing up to teach T-38's. We washed one out of MQT about 1.69 years ago, and the two most recent guys busted a couple of MQT rides (there are only 5 rides total). One of them was CC directed to start MQT over.

We are expecting more of the same from the C-17 bubbas...nothing against them, but thinking and flying at 400 knots and leading 2-ship low levels hasn't exactly been their skill set for the last 3 years, so we are expecting some difficult transitions like we've seen from the young bomber guys. I'm not saying they can't learn the skill set, but we defiantly expect them to struggle out the gate.

The problem I see is that, with the manning levels like they are, the squadron can't afford to restrict instructors and make them a single ship transition guy only, or try to schedule to make sure the c-17 driver doesn't have to lead a 4 ship or 2 ship low level ever....my flight currently has 5 full time IP's (4 AD and 1 AGR) and 14 students....we need IP'S that can teach across the entire spectrum of flights or they become a limfac.

We try to pair the noob IP's with some senior pilots who try to keep an eye on them. As best we can, we also make sure they get to sandbag (direct support) some 4 ship and 2 ship low levels before they have to lead them on their MQT/BIP checkouts.

If the proposal to cut the number of 11F's going to T-38's is allowed, pretty soon the only guys that have actually been to IFF will be the fighter guys who are Reservists.

Time will tell...

Cheers,

Cap-10

• Upvote 1