GEN Norman Schwarzkopf Passes

LL Windshear

Was in the 89th during the storm, I remember him flying on my jet and his staff plus the SECDOD Cheney and CJCS Powell to the Kingdom to explain to the King what might happen if Saddam decided to come south some more. Still seems like yesterday.

Sorry to hear of his death. I was an enlisted observer in the Army flying OH-58C's during DESERT SHIELD/STORM with the 11th Avn Bde. I remember seeing the pictures/stories in Stars and Stripes and other newspapers/magazines about Gen Schwarzkopf, as well as occassionaly hearing his voice on AFN from time to time (no TV in the desert back then, not to mention the Internet). As a lowly Army E-5, I felt that we (collectively) were in good hands, and we were. I never got to meet the General, but did march with him (and about 20K others) in the NYC/DC Welcome Home Parades in Jun 1991. He led the parade, and then about 1/2 way through left to enter the VIP box where others were reviewing the parade, so I did get to see him as we passed by. I wish there were more like him in the military today. RIP.

Met him once at MacDill soon after he took over CENTCOM. That's a lot of stars for a young Sgt to see in the commissary when he turned around and said, "You've only got a couple of things, why don't you just go ahead of me..." Who'd have though that two years later he'd indirectly be "the boss" as I deployed to the Gulf. I understand he was a tough taskmaster, but then just look what he got out of us.

• Upvote 1