Peanut and pine nut allergies. Can I become a fighter pilot?

GodsPrototype

I want to become a fighter pilot. I have peanut and pine nut allergies. They are not severe or anything. I do not need any medication for them. Worst that happens is that I vomit. Nothing else. Would it be difficult to get a waiver in the Air Force? (I want to try to get into an Academy, preferably the AFA)

Thank you!

Edited by GodsPrototype

I'm sorry, I might not fully understand your question; MAYBE YOU DON'T HAVE AN ALLERGY?

Well in case you REALLY do have an allergy (and it does sound like you do)--

Severity is a little subjective and can be vary from Doc to Doc. However it is disqualifying.

24. SYSTEMIC

e. History of anaphylaxis (995.0).

(2) History of systemic allergic reaction to food or food additives (995.60-995.69). Systemic allergic reaction may be defined as a temporally related, systemic, often multi-system, reaction to a specific food. The presence of a food-specific immunoglobulin E antibody without a correlated clinical history DOES meet the standard.

(3) Oral allergy syndrome.

(7) Acute, early, or immediate anaphylactic onset.

(8) History of systemic allergic reaction or angioedema.

5.3.21.2.7. Allergic manifestations: A reliable history of generalized reaction with anaphylaxis to stinging insects. A reliable history of a moderate to severe reaction to common foods, spices or food additives.

6.44.30.1.6. Any allergic condition which requires desensitization therapy. Waivers are considered if symptoms are controlled by desensitization or in combination with approved medication...

13.2.2. Be able to subsist on field rations for up to four months.

But it's also waiverable!

Aeromedical summary for initial waiver for urticaria, angioedema, or anaphylaxis must include the following:

A. History specifically discussing the episode(s), frequency of events, any known triggers and timing after exposure to these triggers, pattern of recurrence, duration of attacks, family history of atopy, and treatments used with their effectiveness.

B. List and fully discuss all clinical diagnoses requiring a waiver.

C. All emergent treatment data including any EMS run notes, triage notes and ED treatment records.

D. Results of any skin testing or RAST testing, if performed. If placed on immunotherapy, documentation that member is stable on a maintenance dose.

E. Labs: CBC with differential, urinalysis, ESR, thyroid function tests and thyroid autoantibodies, and liver function tests. If work-up included skin biopsy, those records are needed as well.

F. Clinical consultation report from an allergist.

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry, I might not fully understand your question; MAYBE YOU DON'T HAVE AN ALLERGY?

Well in case you REALLY do have an allergy (and it does sound like you do)--

Severity is a little subjective and can be vary from Doc to Doc. However it is disqualifying.But it's also waiverable!

Thanks. I'm happy that it's waiverable, but I guess chances are still very slim. I appreciate the help!

Look Broham, you are missing the point. You do not have an allergy unless the AF says you do. So, right now you do not have an allergy and do not care for the taste of peanuts. Repeat this five times in the mirror, watch top gun twice, and you'll be on your way.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Look Broham, you are missing the point. You do not have an allergy unless the AF says you do. So, right now you do not have an allergy and do not care for the taste of peanuts. Repeat this five times in the mirror, watch top gun twice, and you'll be on your way.

But isn't it in the diet? I have no clue what kind of food they serve in the AFA and when serving as a pilot. I really feel relieved by what you said, but I'm still concerned about what you actually get to eat at the AFA and as a AF pilot. Do you get to choose?

There is no choice ... you are fed a pro-biotic, piss warm soup that looks like pale snot 3 meals a day. Watch the first Matrix ... it's a lot like that stuff.

But during basic there is usually the 2-week period where they only allow peanuts, gluten, milk, and shelfish to weed out the weak swimmers.

Edited by HossHarris
  • Upvote 1

But isn't it in the diet? I have no clue what kind of food they serve in the AFA and when serving as a pilot. I really feel relieved by what you said, but I'm still concerned about what you actually get to eat at the AFA and as a AF pilot. Do you get to choose?

Spatial disorientation. Check.

So you sit down at your very first AFA dinner and they serve you a huge plate of peanuts with a side of pine nuts.

Simple, forgo the meal. You'll live to fly another day.

PS Dont post on FB how you are smarter than the MAN.

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

There is no choice ... you are fed a pro-biotic, piss warm soup that looks like pale snot 3 meals a day. Watch the first Matrix ... it's a lot like that stuff.

But during basic there is usually the 2-week period where they only allow peanuts, gluten, milk, and shelfish to weed out the weak swimmers.

Ok thanks. If I have enough luck to be accepted into the AFA, i'll just avoid it.

Edited by GodsPrototype

Become better acquainted with the terms "situational awareness" and "taking a hint". Having these skills will take you a long way in the military and are better than any PME you will ever take.

Become better acquainted with the terms "situational awareness" and "taking a hint". Having these skills will take you a long way in the military and are better than any PME you will ever take.

Yes, I understand that. It is just that my parents keep telling me I can't do it because of my allergies. I took the hint of just not telling anyone, however, my parents keep telling me that it's not meant to be. I guess they are right in a way, but if I don't try, I'll never know.

Yes, I understand that. It is just that my parents keep telling me I can't do it because of my allergies. I took the hint of just not telling anyone, however, my parents keep telling me that it's not meant to be. I guess they are right in a way, but if I don't try, I'll never know.

If there is something wrong with you the med people will find it. If you go in there telling them about every sniffle you ever had then you are just making their job easy. So you threw up when you ate some peanuts....I threw up before when I ate some chicken. "Are you allergic to peanuts?" ... "Not that I'm aware of". "Well according to your blood work it looks like you should be allergic to peanuts" "Really, I never really liked peanuts and never ate them so I guess I didn't know that I was allergic to them."

Tell your parents that you appreciate their concern but you will let the pros determine if you can do it. Good luck.

my parents keep telling me I can't do it because of my allergies

I remember once in high school when a dentist told me there was no way to become a fighter pilot unless you were a personal friend of a congressman. Just like the dentist, your parents don't have a clue about this subject. I'm sure they mean no harm, but this is one time you should not listen to your parents at all. Never just accept "you can't do this," "it won't work," etc. Exhaust all possibilities and effort before giving up and moving onto something else. The medical screening process is NOT friendly to you and they are not looking to help you out. Don't lie to their face, but certainly DO NOT offer up information. Only answer exactly what they ask and nothing more. Do not hypothesis that you have any condition unless it is 100% documented by a medical professional. If you start a sentence with, "well when I was 5 yrs old I...," just stop. Giving every little, minor detail about your health will most likely only hurt you in the long run.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, um, hmm... pine nut 'allergy'... parental issues... SA Low light flashing... if that is a good summary of what happened here, then I guess i'll comment. Actually, no, no I won't. You are on your own, brother.

Anecdotes about food allergies: I have actually treated folks down range with serious allergic reactions to foods. Most of the time, they knew about the allergy but I guess its hard to figure out what is in the DFAC menu sometimes. Common allergies like peanut and soy are usually listed as ingredients so you can avoid them. One time this gal who had a serious coconut allergy knew there was coconut on that cake but 'it looked so good'. Don't know how to help there. Also knew a guy who had an allergy to Beer. The horror.......... :beer:

• Upvote 1