The dry island of Japan

kchsload

A classic case of when one (or a few in this case) of us shlts our pants, we're all wearing diapers. Have to admit though, recent incidents involving US mil personal seems to be getting out of hand. Sucks to be there.

http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2012/12/03/after-hours-prohibition-u-s-military-tightens-drinking-rules-in-japan/?mod=WSJ_hp_Asia_EditorsPicks

At Misawa, no one can be without a "wingman" off base after 8PM. If you live off base, you'd better be home by 8 if you're single.

Public consumption of alcohol is prohibited after 9PM, both on and off base. Even the club and the squadron bar.

I'm guessing that the next incident will bring GO1. I'm really sorry to say this, but stand by for the holiday-related suicide stand-downs. The holiday mood is not festive.

Fortunately, I keep a couple generals of Jack behind a glass window that I can break in the event of an emergency GO1.

Good plan, unfortunately that'll last the neighborhood about 6-9 min. We're all fucked! I think Rainman's on to something though...who has a bathtub we can use?

If the cause of this was an alleged rape - maybe the DOD should prohibit sex (both consensual and non consensual), like in theater. Problem solved.

End effective 100% of the time!!!

xin_0208010402027221384015.jpg

Yup Lyndie England in all her post-Abu-Gharaib hawtness.

At Misawa, no one can be without a "wingman" off base after 8PM. If you live off base, you'd better be home by 8 if you're single.

Public consumption of alcohol is prohibited after 9PM, both on and off base. Even the club and the squadron bar.

I'm guessing that the next incident will bring GO1. I'm really sorry to say this, but stand by for the holiday-related suicide stand-downs. The holiday mood is not festive.

We were briefed yesterday that one more incident will bring GO1, total lockdown where you're only allowed to travel between home and work. One of the other sqs in our group is on this total lockdown now cause they had a curfew violation this weekend. The locals were already fired up about the MV-22s arriving on island, these incidents are just added fuel to the fire.

Wife's out there now and hating it...

Saw this one come across the wire, laughed my ass off.

http://www.stripes.com/news/pacific/okinawa/kadena-airman-suspected-in-after-curfew-assault-on-okinawa-teen-1.195627

Police were called to a Yomitan Village pub to deal with an American who had become “rowdy and uncontrollable” after a number of drinks, according to an Okinawa prefectural police spokesman.

Police were told that just before their arrival, a white male allegedly entered an unlocked third-floor apartment in the building that housed the bar, punched a sleeping 13-year-old boy in the face and kicked over a television. Residents told police the intruder then fell from the third floor. There are conflicting reports about whether he fell from the window or a balcony.

If you want to avoid this shit storm, learn how to interact with the locals and avoid the traditional American hangouts. I've sang Karaoke and drank well past curfew in a Japanese dive bar only a couple blocks from my house (granted I lived in a mostly Japanese area, far from Sunabe) and had a blast doing it, and there wasn't any mention of town patrol anywhere in sight. Get away from Gate 2 street, and even further get away from Sunabe. Learn a tiny bit of Japanese and party it up across the red bridge.

• Upvote 1

If you want to avoid this shit storm, learn how to interact with the locals and avoid the traditional American hangouts. I've sang Karaoke and drank well past curfew in a Japanese dive bar only a couple blocks from my house (granted I lived in a mostly Japanese area, far from Sunabe) and had a blast doing it, and there wasn't any mention of town patrol anywhere in sight. Get away from Gate 2 street, and even further get away from Sunabe. Learn a tiny bit of Japanese and party it up across the red bridge.

commencing IP tracking sequence...JK. I agree with you, it is always the 1% of people that cause heartache for the rest of us. People seem to forget they are in another country. Learn their customs and make some friends!

This isn't just a problem in the military. When I lived in Beijing there where tons of cases of foreigners abusing the locals, for example:

To make things worse the locals were already pissed at prior incident a week before but granted, he got what he probably deserved.The girl's saying "I don't want it" and "I don't know him" in the beginning." After the beat down they're saying "fu*k you're mother," and calling him "his mothers c*nt" among other things.

Difference here is he's not there representing his country per se. He was arrested and deported a week or two later.

Edited by kchsload

Good plan, unfortunately that'll last the neighborhood about 6-9 min. We're all ######ed! I think Rainman's on to something though...who has a bathtub we can use?

I've already started. Tastes funny, but makes ya feel good.

Just like my other favorite thing in the world.

Has the AF ever been the perp in any of these incidents? Seems like you always see the USMC on these headlines.

The guy who punched the 13 year old kid in the face? An Airman. (rumor has it that it was a 2LT...take that for what it's worth as the rumor mill has been in full swing since the curfew)

http://www.stripes.c...a-teen-1.195627

Anybody know what the current ROE are for transient crews at Iwakuni?

Not sure for Iwakuni...but here at Yokota, all military (to include transients) are under the 2300-0500 curfew. If you try to leave base outside of those times, the cops stop you at the gate and question you.

Life in Japan is slowly becoming more like that of South Korea.

Edited by Wolf424