Selective Continuation to 20 years

Vetter

Subscribing to this thread...

I have a feeling I'll be in your shoes here in a of couple years. I'm hoping to get passed over twice to get out 1.69 years early and I'm also hoping they do not offer me continuation so that I can get the involuntary separation pay which I feel would be equal to the amount I would have contributed to a 401k if I had worked in the civilian world for the past 8 years.

Best of luck to you dude. Keep us updated as to how it pans out!

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...
1 hour ago, bennynova said:

What ever happened to vetter

did anyone get selectively continued and get out (instead of working worry free for 5-10 years and getting a retirement at 42???

also, what happens if you are selectively continued to 20, but then get promoted down the line??

I can answer your last question. You keep on moving up at the new rank and you can punch at 20 if you want. I knew 2 guys that got continued as Capt's, both made Maj, and 1 even made Lt Col. Granted they were nav's and not pilots. 

Yep, living in base.  If I can get hired, anyone can, especially with upcoming retirements.  I didn't get hired by a major right out of the AF.  you may have to take the regional pill temporarily...

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

Question for the masses:

I am coming up on 17 years (11M) (7 of that enlisted).  My first Maj board just met in Jul.  If I am passed over on the next board and am offered continuation, does that essentially give me an ADSC?  My angle is could I put my availability date right after the 2nd board results with accepting continuation and stay AD until getting "the call"?

Thanks in advance for any valuable responses!

As I understand it there is no ADSC for continuation.  However, previous ADSCs remain in force once you accept continuation.  That said, you'd be at about 18.5 years after the 2nd look. I'd just endure the final 500ish days to get a check for life.  Info note: last year's Major's results were a few months late, so that might affect your availability date.

Edited by guineapigfury
typo

Thanks guineapigfury!

Like a lot of people in a similar situation I debate daily on whether to jump or not.  As I understand it right now the AF is conducting two boards in 2017 which would have my 2nd one meeting in March 2017 I believe (no mypers access right now). The AF and I have differing views on how best to care for my family (EFMP) so exploring all available options.  Although I have thoroughly enjoyed my time flying over my career, family comes first!

Thanks again for the info

• 5 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, FlyinGrunt said:

May be looking at being twice passed over for Major pretty soon.  If they offer you continuation, how soon do you owe them an answer about taking it?  I have some other plans in the works and I'd like to hold off until I have all the facts, if you know what I mean.

I'm in the same boat.  My understanding is that you get 7 days to make a decision.  I'll update this board with what I learn when it happens.  MyPers says board results in late September or early October; I'm hoping for the latter.

Also in the same boat...AFI36-2501 is what you're looking for. 60 days from public release to accept or decline selective continuation.

Trying to get my airline apps in order so I can publish them the day of the public results if need be...it would be a 2.5 year head start on seniority...

For anyone wanting a reg reference: AF 36-2501 7.7-7.8:

7.7. MPF Career Enhancement Element.

7.7.1. Prepares the continuation acceptance or declination statement to accompany the letter that notifies the officer of continuation. NOTE: Selective Continuation Program definitions are located at Attachment 1 for review.

7.7.2. Ensures commanders notify selected officers of continuation upon public release.

7.7.3. Ensures officers return signed continuation letter to MPF within 60-calendar days from public release date.

7.7.4. Forwards a copy of declination statement to MPF Relocations Element to initiate separations/ retirement processing.

7.7.5. Returns all acceptance/declination statements (original only) to HQ AFPC/DPPPO, signed or unsigned. Annotates circumstances of unsigned statements, i.e., ―member failed to return letter.‖ NOTE: Involuntary separation actions will be initiated by HQ AFPC on officers who fail to sign the statement within 60 days from public release.

7.7.6. (For overseas locations only) Ensures MPF Relocations Element corrects the officer's date eligible to return from overseas (DEROS) after update of DOS from HQ AFPC/DPPPO.

7.8. Commanders. Notify officers, in writing, of selection for continuation and advise them to return acceptance statement or declination to the MPF within 60 calendar days of release date.

So is the workaround to just not sign a statement either way?

"  NOTE: Involuntary separation actions will be initiated by HQ AFPC on officers who fail to sign the statement within 60 days from public release. "

It costs you what, $80,000 and 2.5 years of seniority to sign a piece of paper?

"7.11.4. Twice-deferred officers who are offered selective continuation to normal (20 year) retirement and turn it down are not authorized to receive involuntary separation pay."

So...if they offer 2x passed over O-4s continuation to 24, do they get involuntary separation pay if they decline?

Sent from my iPad using Baseops Network Forums