Selective Continuation to 20 years

Vetter

I'm about to get passed over for a 2nd time to Major. I've done a lot of research, but I just want some back up to see if my thinking is correct. I've asked numerous people in MPF these questions and I get different answers each time...

Being an 11F, will I most likely be offered continuation to 20 years? Could it possibly be for a shorter period?

If I turn down continuation to 20 years, I will have to separate within 6 months. I understand that I will not receive invol sep pay, but will I receive the other benefits of invol sep such as the commissary/bx privileges, the medical coverage, and the HHG storage?

Is there any possible way to let them know that you don't want be considered for selective continuation so that you can get the invol sep pay?

Finally, my understanding is that if I do not accept continuation, my UPT ADSC (I'd have 1 year left) will go away since I will be invol separating. Is this correct?

Just trying to get my ducks in a row. I'd really like to get paid to leave after getting fucked, but I know the AF will get their last lick as they offer me continuation to 20. Thanks for the help!

I'm about to get passed over for a 2nd time to Major. I've done a lot of research, but I just want some back up to see if my thinking is correct. I've asked numerous people in MPF these questions and I get different answers each time...

Being an 11F, will I most likely be offered continuation to 20 years? Could it possibly be for a shorter period?

If I turn down continuation to 20 years, I will have to separate within 6 months. I understand that I will not receive invol sep pay, but will I receive the other benefits of invol sep such as the commissary/bx privileges, the medical coverage, and the HHG storage?

Is there any possible way to let them know that you don't want be considered for selective continuation so that you can get the invol sep pay?

Finally, my understanding is that if I do not accept continuation, my UPT ADSC (I'd have 1 year left) will go away since I will be invol separating. Is this correct?

Just trying to get my ducks in a row. I'd really like to get paid to leave after getting fucked, but I know the AF will get their last lick as they offer me continuation to 20. Thanks for the help!

I've only seen continuation offered to 20 (or 24), I can't see it for less.

Why wouldn't you get sep pay? Everyone I know in that situation was given it (so long as you didn't write to the board). Ok....I didn't know folks who got offered continuation, so I don't know what happens in those cases.

You get booted ADSC goes away.

Haven't got much by way of answers. But that sucks man, hope it works for the best.

I've only seen continuation offered to 20 (or 24), I can't see it for less.

Why wouldn't you get sep pay? Everyone I know in that situation was given it (so long as you didn't write to the board). Ok....I didn't know folks who got offered continuation, so I don't know what happens in those cases.

You get booted ADSC goes away.

Haven't got much by way of answers. But that sucks man, hope it works for the best.

If he declines selective continuation he will not get involuntary sep pay.

Does anyone have the insight as to will they or won't they offer it. Despite what the CSAF said a couple of years ago, the people I knew not offered continuation were blindsided by the change in policy. I know that decision has led to a fair amount of people punching after their first Lt Col board to make sure they can still be hired on by a guard unit. It is one hell of a crap shoot to hang on for that miniscule ABZ promotion, hope for continuation and risk no retirement at all.

Anyone know if continuation has been offered in recent years for Capt's passed over to Major? Hadn't heard it....but haven't been paying attention either.

Yes, it has. There is a fellow deployed with me who is a passed over Capt with continuation to 20. I think I'd rather not be continued if I was in that boat, but that's just me.

-9-

Yes, it has. There is a fellow deployed with me who is a passed over Capt with continuation to 20. I think I'd rather not be continued if I was in that boat, but that's just me.

-9-

If prior-E that may only be a few years and worth the investment

Anyone know if continuation has been offered in recent years for Capt's passed over to Major? Hadn't heard it....but haven't been paying attention either.

Yup...guy at my last base (11F) was offered continuation to 20....and that was 6.9 months ago.

Cheers,

Cap-10

You have to serve 10-years as an O to retire as one if you have enough time when you were an E to hit 20+. That's not a "few."

So 8 years enlisted, 4 years Lt, 5 years Capt, then passed over doesn't just leave a few years???

It may make sense for a twice deferred major with 5 years left. But not a Captain with at least 10. I was denied VSP, then not promoted, and now I'm not going to get invol sep money because they still "need me". It's not about the money for me, but the more I really think about it, the more I get pissed. I can fail the fucking PFT 4 times and still get half invol sep pay. Doesn't seem right.

Not a pilot so no insight into whether or not this is the dumbest idea in the world (likely), but why not "turn in in your wings" Cougar style and not be a pilot just before you meet your board? Then they'd have no reason to continue you as a pilot. Or bust a bunch of check rides til they DNIF you? Not a good idea if you want to fly post USAF but if you really really want to not be continued...

zb

note - this really is probably not a good idea

Not a pilot so no insight into whether or not this is the dumbest idea in the world (likely)...

It may be in the top 3. Haha. I've got Reserve/civilians flying jobs lined up, so not an option for me.

Not a pilot....

Biggest understatement of the year given what you just wrote.

...but why not "turn in in your wings" Cougar style and not be a pilot just before you meet your board? Then they'd have no reason to continue you as a pilot.

AFI 11-402 governs all the questions you're asking. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you 'turn in your wings', then you automatically go to an FEB...typically under the 'fear of flying' category. FEB's can take up to/past a year to complete.

Or bust a bunch of check rides til they DNIF you?

Unless Flight Docs think that you're 'sick' for failing numerous checkrides, you won't go DNIF, you'll eventually go to an FEB.

I'm just breaking your balls a little bit here man, so please don't take offense. I just wanted to relay to the non-rated types that the Air Force doesn't look at 'not wanting to fly' in a light way.

Just trying to get my ducks in a row. I'd really like to get paid to leave after getting ######ed, but I know the AF will get their last lick as they offer me continuation to 20. Thanks for the help!

Some perspective you've got there, Vetter. Let me get this straight...the AF wants to "###### you" by paying you 110K/year+ for the next 6-8 years, then really twist the knife by making you a member of the retired paycheck-of-the-month club until you turn room temperature at age 89. They're really turning up the heat these days, eh?

Some perspective you've got there, Vetter. Let me get this straight...the AF wants to "###### you" by paying you 110K/year+ for the next 6-8 years, then really twist the knife by making you a member of the retired paycheck-of-the-month club until you turn room temperature at age 89. They're really turning up the heat these days, eh?

Dude, my bad...I just realized you said "passed over to Major" (vs Lt Col...different math). I would've deleted my original post, but figured I'd own it instead. Good luck to you - hope you can walk with a parting gift.

• Upvote 2

Dude, my bad...I just realized you said "passed over to Major" (vs Lt Col...different math). I would've deleted my original post, but figured I'd own it instead. Good luck to you - hope you can walk with a parting gift.

Holy shit. It's the internet and someone actually admitted they were wrong and apologized.

Soultrain - are you a unicorn?

• Upvote 1

At a recent convention in a southern cali town, the MAF A1 said something about continuation if you have 15 years in, which sounds like either a Maj passed over or a prior E Capt passed over. I didn't take notes and I don't have slides, but that is my hazy recollection. Perhaps calling the A1 peeps and asking that specific question may yield a better answer.

Out

Holy shit. It's the internet and someone actually admitted they were wrong and apologized.

Soultrain - are you a unicorn?

Just owning up to a misfire & figured I owed the dude an apology. It's his career & it would weigh heavily on me to be in his shoes. Now back to your regularly scheduled program...

It's all good. It was actually a weight off when I got my second P. Being out of the rat race has allowed me to focus on being a better IP.

Then I realized I'll be off Uncle Sugar's teet for the first time in my life here in about 8 months...scary!