200th Airlift Squadron

Hey all,

I'm wondering if there is any info on the 200th Airlift Squadron? I'm currently a tanker pilot out east, but I am interested in moving to Colorado with my family to settle down. I was a maintenance guy with the 140th Maintenance Squadron for 8 years, but left to pursue an aviation career. I have done a bit of reasearch on the internet machine, but can only find fact sheet type stuff on the 200th AS. If there is anyone who is a member of the 200th that could shed some light on hiring/lifestyle/ops tempo etc I would be very grateful!

Cheers,

Velo

Yeah, I know all about the 187th. I even know a former wing commander. I would love to move back to Fort Collins (Thus the avatar). I'm just not crazy about the Herc.

Let me ask another question then. How hard is it to live in a different state than your tanker squadron and commute to keep currencies?

Edited by Velsoprints

Yeah, I know all about the 187th. I even know a former wing commander. I would love to move back to Fort Collins (Thus the avatar). I'm just not crazy about the Herc.

Let me ask another question then. How hard is it to live in a different state than your tanker squadron and commute to keep currencies?

Before I got a pilot slot, I would've killed to fly a -130. Don't nail doors shut prior to giving them a chance to open. Your life will be infinitely better flying the Herk than flying a couch in your parents' basement. And if you ask the Herk guys, they'll tell you it's the greatest invention since the Wright Flyer.

Remember, you're going to be competing against dudes that will do damn near anything to get a shot at UPT, and even the slightest indifference you have won't go unnoticed in an interview. I understand you've got your preferences, but do yourself a favor: crank everything to 11, throw as many darts at the board as possible, see what sticks, be thankful for what you get, and enjoy being an aircrew member if graced with the opportunity.

To answer your second question, quite a few people I know commute to their Reserve squadrons, and they make it work, but as a new co-pilot, the kid who's willing to live 5 minutes away from the front gate just to get the chance to pick up trips is going to be more competitive than the commuter. Go all out at the beginning of your career, and then consider throttling back after you've established a name for yourself.

• Downvote 1

Before I got a pilot slot, I would've killed to fly a -130. Don't nail doors shut prior to giving them a chance to open. Your life will be infinitely better flying the Herk than flying a couch in your parents' basement. And if you ask the Herk guys, they'll tell you it's the greatest invention since the Wright Flyer.

Remember, you're going to be competing against dudes that will do damn near anything to get a shot at UPT, and even the slightest indifference you have won't go unnoticed in an interview. I understand you've got your preferences, but do yourself a favor: crank everything to 11, throw as many darts at the board as possible, see what sticks, be thankful for what you get, and enjoy being an aircrew member if graced with the opportunity.

To answer your second question, quite a few people I know commute to their Reserve squadrons, and they make it work, but as a new co-pilot, the kid who's willing to live 5 minutes away from the front gate just to get the chance to pick up trips is going to be more competitive than the commuter. Go all out at the beginning of your career, and then consider throttling back after you've established a name for yourself.

Why would a current tanker pilot apply to UPT? Did you even read his original post?

Why would a current tanker pilot apply to UPT? Did you even read his original post?

Nope, sure didn't. Sorry, Velsoprints, I'm a huge knob goblin. I'll be in time out for a while.

Edited by Royal
  • Upvote 2

It'll suck if that unit goes away. C-21s in C Springs has got to be one of the best gigs in the AF. That said, I wouldn't turn my nose up at a herc either. I recently left the AD, and although I ended up continuing my career in tankers, I didn't take any options off the table. I'm sure crossing the pond in a 130 sucks balls, but there's something to be said for the mission set that plane is capable of. No one I know who flies hercs is bored (except maybe on those ocean crossings).

• 2 weeks later...