Naviator Android App

My tablet is wifi only, so no in flight data for me. It hasn't been a problem, though I only use to either a) back myself up while flying VFR in a Cessna or b) moving IFR chart in the C-17 for center changes. The program downloads all of the charts, so the only thing you lose out on without a wireless connection are TAF/METAR and TFR updates ( and map updates if you didn't download them beforehand). Their website lists that each chart is about 50MB; I only have a couple charts loaded right now since I'm on a non-flying deployment.

I guess it can also do the geoposition approach plates, but that costs extra and I haven't found the need for it. They are trying to add more global charts, which is great- but I haven't had a chance to try out yet.

I think the interface could be a bit more polished, but overall it works for what I want it to do. If they still have the 30 trial-definitely give it a try. I think its better than Avilution, which only had US charts and was a little more difficult to use.

• 5 years later...

Revive!!!   What phones are you guys running?  I’ve been a Mac fanboy for 20 years but the Pixel 2 XL is looking pretty good.  Thoughts?  My entire home setup is Mac based so syncing everything is a concern. 

Im running an old iPhone 6+ at the moment so anything would be an upgrade

Edited by matmacwc

I used to have it when I was on Android probably 3 or 4 years ago at this point. At the time I remember it being VERY impressive compared to the other options (and frankly it was pretty much the only thing you could get on android at the time) plus I was happy flying GA with it. That said, the current state of foreflight is extremely feature-packed and pretty much the defacto standard throughout aviation. If Naviator works for you, I don't see anything wrong with it.

I've got the original Pixel, with Garmin Pilot that I run in the background during flights either off station, or IMC.  No complaints, so long as I open it before step, and allow it to refresh (automatically) any chart/plate I have.

Flight plan function is limited to speed/timing, as it doesn't have any mil aircraft programmed for fuel burn or filing purposes.  

Still use naviator, primarily on a Samsung note 5 and Samsung galaxy tab s 8.4. Works well for general moving map, haven't used ads-b on it though.

Another Android app to look into is WingX. Pretty sure the developer for that app gives a free account to CFIs and military. Haven't contacted them yet, but probably will soon. Their app has gotten a lot better, so I'd say it's at least on par with naviator.

Foreflight still remains the gold standard though, but is iOS only

On 7/2/2018 at 12:22 PM, matmacwc said:

Revive!!!   What phones are you guys running?  I’ve been a Mac fanboy for 20 years but the Pixel 2 XL is looking pretty good.  Thoughts?  My entire home setup is Mac based so syncing everything is a concern. 

Im running an old iPhone 6+ at the moment so anything would be an upgrade

Pixel 2XL owner since launch. Love every aspect of the phone and I do not need a screen protector either. Love the automatic spam function from Google. Automatically blocks known spam callers or turns the entire screen red if it suspects a call as spam. My phone is synced to my Google home mini, 75 inch Sony tv running Android, and I plan on purchasing a Pixelbook 2 if launched this year. Nothing like walking into your house and telling your Google home mini to play a movie or song automatically on my tv. 

Don't even get me started on Google Duplex. Phone can call and set up appointments for you and the recipient of the call can't tell whether it's a human or your Google Assistant calling.

Edited by HarleyQuinn
  • Upvote 1

Pixel 2XL owner since launch. Love every aspect of the phone and I do not need a screen protector either. Love the automatic spam function from Google. Automatically blocks known spam callers or turns the screen red if it's suspects a call as spam. My phone is synced to my Google home mini, 75 inch Sony tv running Android, and I plan on purchasing a Pixelbook 2 if launched this year. Nothing like walking into your house and telling your Google home mini to play a movie or song. 

Don't even get me started on Google Duplex. Phone can call and set up appointments for you and the recipient of the call can't tell whether it's a human or your Google Assistant calling.

Just to be clear, Duplex is not operational yet, correct?

I love my pixel 2. I'll get the pixel 3 as soon as it's out (October). I upgrade every year, and the resale value on pixels is almost as good as iPhones on Swappa.

Apple is falling way, way behind where it counts, AI. Self driving cars become a common reality next year, and Alphabet is the main game in town. Home automation is finally getting it's stride thanks to voice control, and though Amazon is ahead in market penetration, the Google Assistant is miles ahead of Alexa in capability and comprehension. Apple isn't even on the chart.

Android lets you tie into it seamlessly, and having the pixel means you get the new stuff first. I'll probably get the Pixel watch as well, but I'm more skeptical of that.

And the unlimited original quality photo storage is a huge bonus. The pixel cameras have been the best performers both years, and Google photos has become a very feature rich album service.

Yes, I'm a fan boy. I have a Google home (or mini) in every room of the house (including bathrooms), Chromecast on both TVs, Android auto in the car, and I'm planning on grabbing some Nest cameras soon. Some are concerned about privacy, but these companies already have all this data on you for advertising purposes. I might as well get something out of it too.

The only place that Apple wins IMO is the iPad. Google has never put out a solid tablet.

• Upvote 1

Samsung Note3.

Avare longtime user on Android.

IOS- I use Fltplan.

Both free.

Both work.

Easy to never sweat needing a paper chart or plate.

One addition- all platforms display ADSB-in data differently. Different portable hardware may also generate different traffic. Wx seems fine on most all apps, but traffic is just plain odd.

Stratus, Stratux, DualAv and Skyradar all seem to have traffic quirks. I pipe my in-data to a GRT EFIS via USB and that works great. As good as the Garmin Hardware users, I'd say.

Foreflight and a Stratus seem to still be best for a portable traffic solution. Easy to pipe it into an intercom for voice alerts.

Sure beats a Garmin GPS90 and sectional alone back in the day, in all cases.

On 7/3/2018 at 12:58 PM, Lord Ratner said:

Just to be clear, Duplex is not operational yet, correct?

That is correct. People were complaining about the feature after Google I/O because you can't differentate it from a humans voice. So now Google will program it to identify itself as an assistant during a call. I guess people were concerned it could trick you into providing PII. But they fail to realize it could really help out those who are handicap in some shape or form. 

I am on the fence about the Pixel 3 and 3XL. Just because the 3XL will have the notch and a bit larger of a screen. I don't have hands like an NBA basketball player. The Pixel 3 on the other hand would give me less screen real estate than my 2XL. I definitely want to purchase a Pixel watch if launched. I just hate having to charge a watch as an owner of the Moto 360.

I'm very interested in the next iteration of Pixel buds. However, I just purchased a pair of Jabra Elite Active 65t wireless ear buds. Never going back to wired headsets. Working out with my ear buds from Jabra without a wire hanging down on my neck is a good time. They were worth every penny and I only have to charge the case for the ear buds once a week. I do 2 hour workouts and the ear buds will last 5 hours on one charge. The case will get you an additional 10 hours of charge time.

I use my Google home mini a lot. Google was smart for practically giving them away. I didn't realize in May Google activated the ability for the mini to launch movies from the Google Play Movies & TV store automatically to your tv. I am renting at the moment and I think having a Google home mini in every room would be sweet, but I am mostly in my living room though.  I will definitely tie it into my thermostat and garage door system when I purchase a house. My girlfriend hardly utlizes the one I got for her. 

I am totally against self driving vehicles like Teslas just because they are taking shortcuts unlike Google Waymo. I can drive my vehicle better than a computer because I'm a very defensive driver. I ask people would you put your kids on a driverless bus? So imagine a moron driving through a school zone in an autonomous Tesla. You think the moron behind the wheel is going to be paying attention, ready to take the wheel, and have the reflexes to hit the brakes if a kid darts out in front of the vehicle? We all know veterans who have deployed for 6 months to a year suck at driving when they return and are more likely to get into an accident. So imagine people who never drive themselves and who may need to take corrective action on the road? They will be hesitant and a huge risk to everyone on the road. 

Nerd rant off.

Edited by HarleyQuinn

On 7/3/2018 at 11:53 AM, matmacwc said:

This is what I’ve been hearing, the camera is impressive as well.

Don't tell my old lady but the new Android messaging app has self generated responses now. You don't have to type anything when someone messages you. Just select a response from the 3 that pop up after someone messages you. Talking about laziness and has idiocracy arrived upon us.

9236DBEC-1EBC-49F9-A41E-C56F4AE1756B.gif.649b66d95f52126957ec774ba7be5d6f.gif
It's already here, bud. Most people are completely unaware that there are fully functional, no-safety-monitor self driving cars operating in the US, and starting in a month or two they are launching as a taxi service. Cadillac plans to have all vehicles with a fully autonomous mode (not the half-baked Tesla version) by 2020 or 2021.

And the safety improvements over human drivers are so dramatic, you can make a safe bet there will be a push within the next ten years to make manually driven cars obsolete. You don't have to believe it, just incorporate it into your investment strategy.

I am totally against self driving vehicles like Teslas just because they are taking shortcuts unlike Google Waymo. I can drive my vehicle better than a computer because I'm a very defensive driver. I ask people would you put your kids on a driverless bus? So imagine a moron driving through a school zone in an autonomous Tesla. You think the moron behind the wheel is going to be paying attention, ready to take the wheel, and have the reflexes to hit the brakes if a kid darts out in front of the vehicle? We all know veterans who have deployed for 6 months to a year suck at driving when they return and are more likely to get into an accident. So imagine people who never drive themselves and who may need to take corrective action on the road? They will be hesitant and a huge risk to everyone on the road. 
Nerd rant off.

Tesla is not a self driving car, it's only at level 2 automation.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/path-to-autonomy-self-driving-car-levels-0-to-5-explained-feature

The vehicles coming out from Google, Uber (if they can stop cutting corners), and now the major manufacturers are level 4 and 5, which, yes, are safer drivers than even you are.

Just wait. The stats will come out very quickly showing these cars are safer. You'll see commercials with crying mothers talking about how drunk drivers (or texting, high, distracted, etc) killed their kids. 35,000 people per year, mostly human error. Couple that with mayors of major cities imagining all the things they can do if parking garages are torn down. How much prime real estate is that?

Then of course there will be the hold outs, people who think they just love driving so much they would never switch over... Till the first time they can't find parking, or get tired on the road, or want to have a third beer. There's a reason rich people have drivers...

I think this revolution will be a quick one. Most people don't like driving much, and the huge number of road deaths each year is compelling. Even with the fairly huge shift in public perception of drunk driving, how many people, even officers in the military, still drive after having one too many? Self driving RVs, no more blue-hairs driving through the front door of sandwich shops, no more rushing home from work to pick up kids from school, no more taking the car to the shop, no more pumping gas, or worrying about your kids playing in the street. It sells itself.

5 hours ago, Lord Ratner said:

Tesla is not a self driving car, it's only at level 2 automation.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/path-to-autonomy-self-driving-car-levels-0-to-5-explained-feature

The vehicles coming out from Google, Uber (if they can stop cutting corners), and now the major manufacturers are level 4 and 5, which, yes, are safer drivers than even you are.

Just wait. The stats will come out very quickly showing these cars are safer. You'll see commercials with crying mothers talking about how drunk drivers (or texting, high, distracted, etc) killed their kids. 35,000 people per year, mostly human error. Couple that with mayors of major cities imagining all the things they can do if parking garages are torn down. How much prime real estate is that?

Then of course there will be the hold outs, people who think they just love driving so much they would never switch over... Till the first time they can't find parking, or get tired on the road, or want to have a third beer. There's a reason rich people have drivers...

I think this revolution will be a quick one. Most people don't like driving much, and the huge number of road deaths each year is compelling. Even with the fairly huge shift in public perception of drunk driving, how many people, even officers in the military, still drive after having one too many? Self driving RVs, no more blue-hairs driving through the front door of sandwich shops, no more rushing home from work to pick up kids from school, no more taking the car to the shop, no more pumping gas, or worrying about your kids playing in the street. It sells itself.

Talk to USAA about my accident record. I don't have any. People have rear ended me, not the other way around. I receive a refund from USAA every year. Last thing I want is an autonomous vehicle not slowing down and driving 45 mph over a huge bump that's clearly marked. A bump you should slow down for. Or lets use potholes as an example. An autonomous vehicle cannot dodge those. Sorry, but I don't want the alignment on my vehicle jacked up. 

Talk to USAA about my accident record. I don't have any. People have rear ended me, not the other way around. I receive a refund from USAA every year. Last thing I want is an autonomous vehicle not slowing down and driving 45 mph over a huge bump that's clearly marked. A bump you should slow down for. Or lets use potholes as an example. An autonomous vehicle cannot dodge those. Sorry, but I don't want the alignment on my vehicle jacked up. 
As I said before, these things are way further ahead than people realize, you included.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/31/16579180/waymo-self-driving-test-facility-castle-google

It’ll make the bad drivers better and the good drivers worse.  Overall accident rates will get better, but good drivers who currently pay attention will be lulled into complacency (Children of the Magenta stuff) and their cars will crush children frequently enough that many people will decide that self driving cars aren’t worth it.  Cars will swerve to avoid trash, won’t be able to figure out mud and snow, can’t figure out construction zones, and will flat out never see things.  And that’s when they’re new. Take them out of California to the 3/4 of American states that see 100° summers and -10° winters with 80% humidity, add 5 years, and they’ll work about as well as your 5 year old cell phone does. Right front lower camera not working? Car bricked, see your friendly dealer for an exorbitant repair estimate. 

29 minutes ago, Majestik Møøse said:

It’ll make the bad drivers better and the good drivers worse.  Overall accident rates will get better, but good drivers who currently pay attention will be lulled into complacency (Children of the Magenta stuff) and their cars will crush children frequently enough that many people will decide that self driving cars aren’t worth it.  Cars will swerve to avoid trash, won’t be able to figure out mud and snow, can’t figure out construction zones, and will flat out never see things.  And that’s when they’re new. Take them out of California to the 3/4 of American states that see 100° summers and -10° winters with 80% humidity, add 5 years, and they’ll work about as well as your 5 year old cell phone does. Right front lower camera not working? Car bricked, see your friendly dealer for an exorbitant repair estimate. 

That's not even the beginning. I saw a lady on YouTube rebooting her Tesla. Had to pull over on a road trip because her damn speedometer wasn't working. Same lady arrived at a charging station during another road trip. She couldn't charge her car! I have never not been able to gas up my vehicle at a gas station. People have reported simple stuff like a backup camera working intermittently on Teslas. I just had one installed professionally on my truck and I haven't had a single problem since the purchase 8 months ago.

In the past 5-6 months, two Teslas have run into parked fire trucks, one into a parked police car, and another into a barrier. I can do that myself without an autonomous driving system. All drivers were using Teslas autopilot.

When I PCS, it takes me 3 minutes to fill up my Tundra on the road. As the truck is filling up, I'm getting the bugs off the windshield. Then I hit up the restroom and I'm back on the road in 5 minutes. Who has time to wait 45 minutes for a car to charge? I learned from talking to bros they are the exact same way during a road trip for a PCS. And I keep a water cooler next to my seat so I can grab food and drinks as I drive.

Edited by HarleyQuinn