General Petraeus resigns amid affair scandal

Crown

By The Associated Press

doc509d646730378077247075.jpg

FILE - This Feb. 2, 2012 file photo shows CIA Director David Petraeus testifying on Capitol Hill in Washington. Petraeus has resigned because of an extramarital affair. (AP Photo/Cliff Owen, File)

WASHINGTON — David Petraeus has resigned as director of the CIA after admitting he had an extramarital affair.

According to his letter of resignation, Petraeus asked President Barack Obama on Thursday to allow him to resign, and on Friday the president accepted.

Petraeus said in a statement that he had shown "extremely poor judgment" in having an affair.

He spoke out against the admin. when he said the CIA did not order a stand down and he was supposed to testify next week before Congress. Too coincidental in my opinion for this to leak out now.

He spoke out against the admin. when he said the CIA did not order a stand down and he was supposed to testify next week before Congress. Too coincidental in my opinion for this to leak out now.

I'd wager he'll still testify. And on laying liberal blame on this one... I'd first and foremost would blame conservadorism... why would an affair (assuming it was between consenting adults, not within the chain-of-command and such) mandate a resignation? Between him and the wife, I'd say...

I'd wager he'll still testify.

Per the Fox News website, it looks like he won't testify on Benghazi now . . . making the situation look all the more fishy. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but holy crap--it sure looks to me like someone didn't like what he was going to say WRT Benghazi:

"The move comes amid the unfolding controversy surrounding the attack on the U.S. Consulate in Libya. Scrutiny has fallen on a range of agencies including the CIA, and the director had been set to testify at hearings next week -- he is no longer expected to do so. But Petraeus, in his resignation message, cited strictly "personal reasons" surrounding the affair."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/11/09/petraeus-resigns-as-cia-director/?intcmp=trending

I'd wager he'll still testify. And on laying liberal blame on this one... I'd first and foremost would blame conservadorism... why would an affair (assuming it was between consenting adults, not within the chain-of-command and such) mandate a resignation? Between him and the wife, I'd say...

I completely agree with you, the man's expertise and job performance has been nothing but excellent, however resigning for this reason compromises his character and the validity of his testimony.

If his affair happened while he was the Director of the CIA you would think it would be impossible to keep it secret from the organization. Reading Tenet’s book made it sound like he had huge security teams with him 24 hours a day even while he was at home. The security described seemed to be very elaborate, which makes sense. I just hope he wasn't extorted in anyway or set up. This is really a horrible situation and hopefully it doesn’t ruin his legacy.

Edited by one

Shenanigans. While it is 100% believable that Petraeus would have the character to step down for something he felt harmed his credibility and the credibility of the organization he led; I also believe he has the character to not engage in something like this in the first place. Either the man has been running a decade long snow job, or someone showed him the door.

• Upvote 1

Shenanigans. While it is 100% believable that Petraeus would have the character to step down for something he felt harmed his credibility and the credibility of the organization he led; I also believe he has the character to not engage in something like this in the first place. Either the man has been running a decade long snow job, or someone showed him the door.

If you think he has enough character to not cheat on his wife, you would also think he would have enough character not to lie about cheating on her when he didn't. He very well could be making a strategic decision at avoiding a scandle be resigning before it blows up. Especially if he knew it was about to leak. How many great men have ruined their career to get some ass? Countless men.

Edited by one
  • Upvote 1

Yep, 39-yr-old writer Paula Broadwell, who graduated West Point in 1995 and who this year was being investigated by the FBI for improperly trying to access Petraeus' email...

original.jpg

And The “Reporter” Who Had An Affair With David Petraeus Is…Paula Broadwell

Slate confirmed this just moments ago, that co-author of All In: The Education of General David was the not-so-mysterious other woman who forced his resignation. According to Slate, the two were long rumored to be chummy and often went on five mile jogs together, but Petraeus was "so square" that it was all dismissed as scuttlebutt. Nope.

Good news is that Broadwell's inevitable skyrocket to the top of web searches may help her book sales.

"The Education of General David Petraeus" indeed! :nob:

She will not get charged with anything. This is a political hack job. Disgusting.

The sad thing is this is the first hack job I have ever seen where the victim was truly a good man. I had hopes he would make a run for president in 2016. I think this story will develop further before it is over, but I hope Gen Petraeus comes out ahead. It figures that one of the best leaders of our generation (regardless of your stand on the war) would fall victim to something like this, while scum sucking shit bags continue to endure at all levels.

Can't she be charged under the UCMJ since she is in the Reserves?

Only if she was in status while "educating him." However, her CC can use other administrative actions at his/her discretion.

"When Broadwell began to pursue a Ph.D. in 2008, her dissertation was to conduct a case study of Petraues’s leadership. After two years she realized there was a book in the making and spent another year embedded in Aghanistan observing Petraeus and his team."

She spent a year in Afghanistan with him.