More SARC briefings soon.

di1630

Can't wait to waste an entire day on this bullshit when there's tons of shit that needs to get done that actually matters. We are not allowed to do ANYTHING non-SAPR related...even when we said it could be done after all the briefings/drum circles are over...the answer was still no. Spoiler alert: SAPR will not even remotely change the mind of d-bags who rape chicks. But thank God upper management will be able to say, "we know nothing has changed, but look, we did something, see!"

Ours is planned for a full day too, and we had to cancel all flying and sims (couldn't even get the two hour block to get the EPEs done). The WG/CC, OG/CC, and SQ/CC are all going to talk to us, followed by the SARC...I think. Haven't seen the schedule yet. But it is planned for a full day, and as I said, they still couldn't get the required annual training into that day, so we'll do that the following week.

I'm sure this will definitely be the step that prevents all future sexual harassment and sexual assault.

Our WG/CC said that he asked his boss if the SAPR down day can apply to all the RPA caps at once said it would "send a message just how important SAPR is to leadership". We shall see if the entire 432 has the same day off. Ironically, if that happens, there will be a whole lot of drinking going on...which apparently turns most of my friends into rapists. Or at least greatly increases their opportunity to rape and what not.

I stick to pillaging and plundering, there is no stigma associated with those actions.

• Upvote 3

... 45 min ...It took me longer than that to click through all of the fucking rooms in the Info Assurance CBT today.

IA took you more than 45 minutes?

You're doing it wrong.

IA took you more than 45 minutes?

You're doing it wrong.

Have you done the new one? It's kind of my career field and still took me that long.

EDIT - Only due to the fact there is no fast forward, questions are ambiguous, and on certain "levels" you have to get 100% and earn that (XBox-like) achievement.

Edited by 17D_guy

Our WG/CC said that he asked his boss if the SAPR down day can apply to all the RPA caps at once said it would "send a message just how important SAPR is to leadership".

That'd be in like with the Army, whose Chief says:

"This is important to me. I want to make sure everybody understands that," Odierno said. "I sent a message out that said it's my number one priority right now. And I'm not kidding."

Not fighting a war...not supporting and defending the Constitution....but sexual assault.

• Upvote 3

Not bad for a constitutional lawyer and commander in chief. You'd think somebody might have briefed him on UCMJ. He has a track record of such 'politically popular' comment despite what it might do to the actual legal proceeding - Cambridge cops v. the professor (and the 'beer summit'), Treyvon Martin ("could've been my son" when the 1/2 white/1/2 hispanic Zimmerman could've been as well. But no lawyer would ever argue that, would he?).

http://thehill.com/blogs/defcon-hill/policy-and-strategy/305745-report-judge-rules-obama-comments-on-sex-assault-unlawful-command-influence

Funny how he can't comment on other on-going investigations that involve him or his administration.

• Upvote 2

That'd be in like with the Army, whose Chief says:

Not fighting a war...not supporting and defending the Constitution....but sexual assault.

Well, the insurgents are standing down that day after a rash of complaints from the goats and camels, so it's a win-win. We'll go back to fighting the war the first week of July.

I live under a rock, but was unaware that LtGen Helms (as in the female astronaut) got screwed by Sen McCaskill for vacating a UCMJ judgment. The link is a good read form a JAG who advised Helms. This gives you some words to use with those who would replace UCMJ with super-secret special proceedings for sexual assault.

<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323393804578559583374805870.html?mod=WSJ_Opinion_MIDDLETopOpinion>

Had our SAPR day today.

The CSAF and COMPACAF videos were pretty standard, as was the discussion led by the experts. Exactly what you'd expect to hear, but underwhelming and nothing really new.

I wondered if we had wasted the day until I heard from leadership within the OG later at a separate session. I'm lucky to have some old balls in my chain of command that don't talk like they're reading from a script or a press release. The words might have been lost on some, but it was refreshing to hear honesty from some fighter pilots I respect. Worthwhile.

Leadership makes all the difference, guys.

• Upvote 2

You should have heard the response when someone suggested we talk less about bystanders preventing bad things happening to other people and more about not putting yourself is a compromising situation. There was some uproar at the very thought of someone being responsible for their own actions.

• Upvote 3

You should have heard the response when someone suggested we talk less about bystanders preventing bad things happening to other people and more about not putting yourself is a compromising situation. There was some uproar at the very thought of someone being responsible for their own actions.

That's my biggest problem with the whole "everyone is a wingman" concept. Even the greatest wingman in the world can't save the day if he's in the middle of a bad tactical plan. Wingmen go along with the plan and keep their mouths shut until they can't stand it and need to speak up for safety of flight.

I'd say we need more flight leads, but the nuances of what that means to non-aviators would be lost.

• Upvote 3

We're headed towards the last episode of Seinfeld

I've seen the wingman get crushed enough for the stupid actions of someone else enough to know we're already there.

Wasn't able to catch any of the briefings. Can someone please confirm if sexual assault is still illegal or not? Just want to make sure I don't miss anything important.

It is. Also, I can confirm that everyone has someone they care about (noted by them raising their hands) and nobody wants to see said person brutally raped in front of their own eyes. I was shocked by that statistic.... rk.png

Edited by sky_king

That's my biggest problem with the whole &quot;everyone is a wingman&quot; concept. Even the greatest wingman in the world can't save the day if he's in the middle of a bad tactical plan. Wingmen go along with the plan and keep their mouths shut until they can't stand it and need to speak up for safety of flight.

I'd say we need more flight leads, but the nuances of what that means to non-aviators would be lost.

Non-aviator here. Understood it loud and clear.

We had ours last Thursday. They broke us up into little study groups and had the SARC, mental health, and a handful of Chaplains rotate through the groups. Our Commander acknowledged multiple times that he is worried about the saturation effect on us with regards to the training.

Edited by Blue Scourge

They had us watch "The Invisible War", which is an independent documentary about some women filing suit against the DoD. It was actually very worthwile. They weren't the improper use of alcohol type situations we usually hear about. These were violent rapes which the documentary alleges are central to the problem. The video suggested that the problem is that we overemphasize victim advocacy rather than prosecuting the perpetrators. I would recommend you watch it in your free time, it's on Netflix. Of course, as soon as we finished watching the video we went into a briefing on being a good wingman and avoiding demon liqour, so I guess big-blue won the day in the end.

• Upvote 1

I thought it was a pretty good documentary as well. I think they went a little over the top with the one girl with the broken jaw, and didn't spend enough time on some of the officers that were abused by senior ranking people and then cast away by the service.

My wife is in the Air Force, and some of the stories she tells me and emails she sends me are unbelievable. She can handle things fine on her own, but there have been several occasions where I've been close to finding people in the parking lot. She has a tough time balancing correcting people, especially those that outrank her, with just letting things slide. The danger with letting things slide is they almost always get worse. On the other hand, when women choose to speak up, they typically get the label of being a bitch and watch as their rankings and opportunities drift away. Of course, they can take all of that to the IG and get everyone in their chain fired and then get all of the jobs/strats back instantly, but that is shitty. My wife, and all of the other women I've worked with just want to be treated with respect, that's it. Actually, most males just want to be treated with respect as well. It's sad that there are so many fucking retards in the military that have no clue how to respect women, and this is how the military responds.

Most of the problems I've seen are from dudes that don't believe women should be in the military at all, and that they can say and do whatever they want because of that belief. If that is you, it's time for you to retire/separate.

Most of the problems I've seen are from dudes that don't believe women should be in the military at all, and that they can say and do whatever they want because of that belief. If that is you, it's time for you to retire/separate.

I was nodding my nugget in agreement until I got to this last part. So I'll let you clarify:

If I don't believe women should be in combat roles, do I need to retire?

If I think I should be allowed to curse, drink, curse while drinking and generally raise hell with the bros after raining death on the enemy is it time for me to retire / separate? When I say raising hell I'm not talking about playing grab ass or making sexual comments to airman hottie. I'm talking about creative uses of the word f*ck (bonus points for multiple parts of speech in the same sentence), singing fighter pilot songs, and other particulars of the fighter pilot tradition that I'm proud to be part of.

The key is the last part of my statement "and that they can say and do whatever they want because of that belief." One of my coworkers told me that it was against his religious beliefs for women to be in the workplace in general. As long as he doesn't target or disrespect women because of that belief, I've got no issues with it. Personally, I enjoy having dual-incomes, I like that my wife has goals and a career, I enjoy being able to buy nice things. That doesn't work for everyone. The point is, I'm not going to treat anyone I work with differently because of their own personal beliefs, on anything.

Where I draw the line is with people that DO play grab ass and make harassing comments because they don't feel that their female co-workers are their equal, and/or don't belong. I'm sure most of the people on this board have seen that at some point in their career.

Not wanting women in combat roles is perfectly fine, so long as you don't treat women like shit because of that belief. Most people have no problem handling that balance. Some don't, and those people make life a lot harder for everyone.

Edited by Gravedigger
  • Upvote 1

This doesn't further the agenda of the left,

Doubt it, the same reason a dude wouldn't want to report it ("I wasn't strong enough to stop it") is why it wouldn't play well in the media. Men getting raped in the American mind is associated with prison "bitches." Counter to that women getting raped plays into the inability of men to protect our women. The lack of media attention has more to do with ratings and attention than any political agenda in my estimation. I tend to think the media is less of a political mastermind and more of an attention whore.

• Upvote 2