Duty Titles

scudrunner12

I have UTFSF but haven't been able to pull up an old thread with any good info. I'm seeking some help from fellow Exec types, former Exec types, or casual UPT types that might be able to give a little input.

I'm trying to find good/somewhat recent examples of Duty Titles that have been used for junior CGOs who are on casual for an extended period. We have several 2d Lts, 1st Lts, and a couple Capts that have been doing an administrative assistant type role and we also have a couple who have been assigned as the lead casual. I'm curious about what Duty Titles folks have had in the past or know of.

Any input is much appreciated.

• Upvote 1

Chief of CFC & PT SQ Contributions.

In all seriousness though, having a title doesn't mean jack if you don't have the work and right attitude to go with it. I've seen both snacko's that both rocked and sucked and depending on how they did, they got the approriate follow-on jobs and never had a duty title. However, that's my opinion and doesn't necessarily reflect the views of Big Blue or whatever promotion boards want to see these days.

Take it for what it's worth.

If they are doing administrative duty, why not give them the duty title of Executive Officer? There can be more than one. I "worked" as a SELO when I was casual, so that was mine. We also had dudes that helped out the scheduler, so they used that title. With today's age of force shaping & PRFs for LTs, you can't really get away with some kind of bogus duty title. You definitely need to make sure your bros are set up for success.

I was also the snacko in a fighter sq when I was casual, and my supervisor no shit had a bullet in my LOE that started with 'Master of food & beverage!'

These guys are doing legitimate work. The problem is that we're on a navy base where the shop names and duty titles are all dicked up. The Executive Officer is really the DO and we have an Admin office that does half CSS work and half exec work.

I am mainly looking for more Air Force equivalent job titles. Some guys have been on casual for two years or more. The AF isn't going to know or care about a muster lead or gib bearer or whatever navy terms are tossed on an LOE/OPR.

I was an exec in an over tasked, under manned ops squadron where we didn't have to make up jobs for dudes.

What kind of duty titles or jobs do attrites get at real UPT bases?

Before UPT, only LOE's may get written but they don't go into your 475 anyways. After training you might have a legitimate shop since OPRs are supposed to be written if you're in casual for a long time but that is rarely the situation. In short, the casual job and LOE's before UPT mean little (with possible exception below). It's after UPT that matters.

Double check with your CSS but I THINK: the one exception I could think of is if you generate an OPR for one of your guys by having him on casual for > 120 days but they would have to be doing a lot of good stuff or else the OPR is going to look like garbage and cause more harm then good. In that case, the Lt's are going to have to be very proactive about having their bullets together and knowing how making bullets and the OPR system works. That also may require some rocking of the boat as it's not the standard most likely but necessary if you want to get these guys some appreciation.

Lastly, thanks for taking the time to actually look out for the Lts who are doing great work. All too often, we talk a good game about "being good supervisors" (assuming you are one) but don't mentor or develop any officership for young Lt's and then they end up in a real shitty situation that was completely avoidable. Keep it up!

... Some guys have been on casual for two years or more....

What??! Really? With no OPR? No fucking wonder they're not making O3.

To answer the question: officers (even Lts) should Lead something. even if its just the weekly commissary run. Recommend considering: OIC or Assistant OIC of xxx program or shop or department. Or xxx program lead or chief.

Good on you for looking out for these kids...duty titles DO matter, even before UPT (just ask ANY late-rated dude).

• Upvote 1

Title = Student Pilot.

The BEST you can do is get an AFAM with the title in it. If you haven't worked the job for more than a few months and you were shit hot, then I doubt you will get a medal. You can always draft one and ask for it, though. LOEs and getting bullets in your training report are great ideas too, so you can at least take care of yourself for these retarded O-3 PRFs. Official titles that show up on your SURF or something like that will most likely not happen (because your position is unofficial) and I have never seen it. But who knows, you may know the right people to make it happen. If you do get some sort of documentation, prepare to be a qweep pusher for your first operational desk job, haha. Enjoy!

Is that like "Assistant to the Regional Manager"?

I don't know, but what I do know is that black bears are best. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

In all honesty, that duty title from that LOE led to me being a squadron exec for a while and subsequently being put into the OG exec job. My wife and I have both received our #1 choice for our next assignment, thanks to the assistance of my former boss. Say what you want about exec'dom...it is what it is.

What I'm getting at is that I knew nothing as a 2d Lt at Columbus; I wouldn't have ever known or cared what my duty title was or that I could/should get credit for my work. There were some great folks working in the 14 OSS that took the time and effort to put me into that job, and make sure my work was documented and made it into my first OPR. I entered my first ops squadron with an LOE full of good bullets signed by the Squadron Commander. Most of my peers had an empty training report or two.

EDIT: This topic might seem ridiculous, but these kinds of questions are only going to get more common as long as the O-3 board buffoonery continues. While the answer might have been "who gives a shit, you're on casual" in the past, sadly that is no longer the case. Who would have ever thought that the casual job you are semi-randomly assigned might have an impact on whether or not you make Captain?

Edited by Gravedigger
  • Upvote 4

For the LTs, I'd say OIC of pretty much anything should look decent on a SURF for the guys. Especially in today's era of boarding to Captain - if you can get some leadership-ish title in there before entering the 2-4 years of training reports I think it would be very helpful.

zb

SNACKO.

I was the DTS bitch for the OSS.

While they might not get you promoted to 1Lt, these at least give you valuable day-to-day working skills that you will need down the road.

Certainly both are more valuable than most of the courses you will take in most Masters Degree programs.

• Upvote 1